The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

Why is anyone buying this?  Someone make a bet with me...if Petey signs an offer sheet that Benning doesn’t match I’ll do some weird stuff. Even an 8 million 7 year (max term for an offer sheet and reasonable ask) will net us 4 first round picks. With the way the draft looks the next couple years a GM would be nuts to offer that. Also Benning would match it. Does anyone here really think Petey is worth over 10 million?  What teams have the cap space to do it, the picks to surrender and the depth to believe they can compete without a first rounder for 4 years?  Look at the implosion around here when we trade 1 of them with conditions...this is pure media crap to stir up the fanbase

Besides this, my “sources” tell me that Buffalo wants a sign and trade with him anyway...10.5 million, max term and they will give us Eichel and a first with 50% retained. If you’re gonna make something up, make it juicier than this. Every year there is a “rumour” of an offer sheet and it rarely happens and is almost always matched when it does. 

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

What I wouldn’t give to sit in a room with a group of NHL executives who are forced to read this thread and watch their reactions. 

That would be funny. I'd, at the very least, hope that they were entertained. 

1 minute ago, Amebushi said:

Why is anyone buying this?  Someone make a bet with me...if Petey signs an offer sheet that Benning doesn’t match I’ll do some weird stuff. Even an 8 million 7 year (max term for an offer sheet and reasonable ask) will net us 4 first round picks. With the way the draft looks the next couple years a GM would be nuts to offer that. Also Benning would match it. Does anyone here really think Petey is worth over 10 million?  What teams have the cap space to do it, the picks to surrender and the depth to believe they can compete without a first rounder for 4 years?  Look at the implosion around here when we trade 1 of them with conditions...this is pure media crap to stir up the fanbase

Besides this, my “sources” tell me that Buffalo wants a sign and trade with him anyway...10.5 million, max term and they will give us Eichel and a first with 50% retained. If you’re gonna make something up, make it juicier than this. Every year there is a “rumour” of an offer sheet and it rarely happens and is almost always matched when it does. 

My guess, and this comes with a PhillipBlunt seal of approval, is that we have no (expletive deleted)ing clue what's going down at all, and the finishing touches are being made to the contracts as we type.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Horvat and demko are the two most important players on the team

You are not wrong, but that also says something about our current state. EP, QH and one more D (could be OEL if everything works out) need to be equally important for us to be a contending team. 

Personally I really hope both EP and QH sign bridge deals as they are both unproven, although both have potential that could make longer deals a steal.

Most of all - just get them signed already...

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My guess, and this comes with a PhillipBlunt seal of approval, is that we have no (expletive deleted)ing clue what's going down at all, and the finishing touches are being made to the contracts as we type.

I’ll believe the PhillipBlunt seal of approval for a lot more than a tweet from Taj any day!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank you. Some context.

Seems very mild.

Jim stated his opinion and I din't see it as a huge dig. 

What he implied though was that Dahlen wasnt ready. Dahlen claimed he felt the same after the trade...that he needed to develop more.

Strange that Dahlen said he 'didn't know' if he asked for a trade...?

Why you got rip people  asking you questions? That's weak. 

Nobody is going for your throat. Some disagree with you, some like myself didn't know the story.

Although, I now, after getting caught up disagree.. Dahlen is a grown man he will be ok. Smart move to get off Social Media too, that crap is toxic.

I don’t rip people asking me questions. 
Except for the Benning fan-club.

in this case it was mr Blunt in particulary and the Benning followers that instead of liking my posts does the opposite.

I don’t rip your post. You seem more like a gent with a different opinion than me and I’m very much ok with that. 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

People are making out like petey is a 100 point player.  I love his game, but he's not even a ppg yet

No I know, he's close though, 165gp 153p, pretty close, he's a skilled player no doubt, but he needs to strengthen up more before he gets huge kind of money imo, but my gut is telling me Benning won't be factoring that one in, and may even over pay because he's worried of the offer sheet.

3 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I’ll believe the PhillipBlunt seal of approval for a lot more than a tweet from Taj any day!

Thank you. It's really just an old stamp I stole from the library, but let's just keep that between us. Wait...

5 minutes ago, J-P said:

You are not wrong, but that also says something about our current state. EP, QH and one more D (could be OEL if everything works out) need to be equally important for us to be a contending team. 

Personally I really hope both EP and QH sign bridge deals as they are both unproven, although both have potential that could make longer deals a steal.

Most of all - just get them signed already...

Exactly

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

No I know, he's close though, 165gp 153p, pretty close, he's a skilled player no doubt, but he needs to strengthen up more before he gets huge kind of money imo, but my gut is telling me Benning won't be factoring that one in, and may even over pay because he's worried of the offer sheet.

I'm not buying the offer sheet risk at all.  Nothing more than the agent trying to leverage.  Ultimately Petey doesn't have a lot of options as an RFA and hopefully he sees the value in leaving $ on the table for depth.

He's won a championship in Sweden, I'd guess he understands how important depth is

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, but Demko has two years on him to prove that. 
Petey has played a lot more games than Demko. 

They both are still of equal importance to the team. One from a goal scoring perspective, and the other from a goal prevention perspective. Only one of those two players kept Vancouver in the series with Vegas.