The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not buying the offer sheet risk at all.  Nothing more than the agent trying to leverage.  Ultimately Petey doesn't have a lot of options as an RFA and hopefully he sees the value in leaving $ on the table for depth.

He's won a championship in Sweden, I'd guess he understands how important depth is

Hopefully this is where the Sedins kind of step in and explain it better for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, zimmy said:

Here's the thing though ..... if said essential player is forcing you to overpay, thus impacting other business/maneuvers that need to take place, I for one show him the door.  What is the point of laying a foundation with such a "me first" attitude.

An "essential" player is also one who understands the importance of compromise and has the humility to realize that they aren't bigger than the team. 

Petey will not disappoint. JP Barry on he other hand ..........

Making a categorical statement about JP Barry doesn't really add up - doesn't acknowledge the fact h represented the Sedins - who did nothing but take sub-market value team-friendly deals their entire careers here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They both are still of equal importance to the team. One from a goal scoring perspective, and the other from a goal prevention perspective. Only one of those two players kept Vancouver in the series with Vegas. 

Still,Petey has more experience than Demko.

but in two years You probably is right.

The goale is very important and Demko is agem. So I have no problem if Demko get similar money as Petey in next contract.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Still,Petey has more experience than Demko.

but in two years You probably is right.

The goale is very important and Demko is agem. So I have no problem if Demko get similar money as Petey in next contract.

They're both instrumental. As is Bo, and Quinn, and Nils, and Brock, and the rest of the team. Hoping to see a solid team game from the outset this fall. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

They should be,  JB is proven to be clueless. 
An offersheet is 100% Jb fault. 
but maybe he wants the first round picks so he can trade it for a declining 30 year olds 

“ ran out of time”

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 3

Honestly, if Petey actually signed an offer sheet I would take the picks and use the cap space on another high end player like Landeskog for less money.

If he isn't willing to play for a fair market price and just wants to go to the highest bidder then good luck to him, that would be bad news after any bridge deal expires anyways.

I then repay his agent by playing hardball with his roommate Hughes who has zero bargaining power because of his status.  If they want to use every tool in the book to gouge teams, then it is fair ball to do the same.  Agents seem to know which GMs are soft touches and which aren't... the team has to be ruthless right back and not overpay players as it could never have success that way.

• Hydration 2

Good to see you still haven't grown up / learned since your last post! So, what's it like acting like a child and constantly throwing tantrums over a hockey team / gm? 

9 minutes ago, combover said:

They should be,  JB is proven to be clueless. 
An offersheet is 100% Jb fault. 
but maybe he wants the first round picks so he can trade it for a declining 30 year olds 

“ ran out of time”

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

A dangerous thing to say looking back. What's to stop CGY from offering 12M just to handcuff the Nux

And if Benning is going to match. Who would they have to get rid of? Schmidt for sure now. Miller possibly? OEL? 

5 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Love how all the benning bros  on CDC are saying if he signed one let him go and take the draft picks. Those picks could easily be all Jake Virtanens with this teams drafting record. The fact they go to support Jim is sickening. He is once again running out of time.

speaking of things that start with b, ironically....

you sound like a little drama-queen every time you use juvenile labels like this.

Calm Down Calm Down GIFs | Tenor

whether or not people would support matching an offersheet has literally nothing to do with alleged loyalty to Benning.

grow up a little  - save your knee-jerk overreactions until / if necessary.

• Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

In petey we trust. 

I know he wants to get paid as he should. But signing and offer sheet when this team originally drafted you and believed in you when everyone else was saying he was too thin or light. Would be a stab in the back to this organization. With that being said. Petey is a very good player. Is he a superstar kind of player? Not today. But he could be that player down the road. 

• Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Honestly, if Petey actually signed an offer sheet I would take the picks and use the cap space on another high end player like Landeskog for less money.

If he isn't willing to play for a fair market price and just wants to go to the highest bidder then good luck to him, that would be bad news after any bridge deal expires anyways.

I then repay his agent by playing hardball with his roommate Hughes who has zero bargaining power because of his status.  If they want to use every tool in the book to gouge teams, then it is fair ball to do the same.  Agents seem to know which GMs are soft touches and which aren't... the team has to be ruthless right back and not overpay players as it could never have success that way.

Fully agree with this, Provost.

As good as Pettersson is, ANYONE is replaceable. If he makes unreasonable demands as deemed by the team that is beyond what market dictates, and/or he signs an offer sheet, there should be a consideration to let him walk. As you rightfully pointed out, Landeskog could produce an equivalent type of production.

You just cannot 'give in' when there's a serious rift in a negotiation situation. This is how you get a bad reputation, and that's very bad. You'll get bullied, essentially.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Making a categorical statement about JP Barry doesn't really add up - doesn't acknowledge the fact h represented the Sedins - who did nothing but take sub-market value team-friendly deals their entire careers here.

I’m simply pre-determining the villain in this saga by suggesting the source of any negotiating machinations are likely JP Barry’s doings and not Petey himself.

I’ve also suggested elsewhere that, as he represents Q as well, manipulating this particular pressure point is not a wise tactic.

I think you are right about JPB and expect this episode to be marked by satisfaction on both sides ……. but I’ve been wrong about situations like this in the past so …

• Hydration 1