The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Exactly, this has been used exactly 3 times in the last 10 years and matched every time.

I think the media is more interested in drama than what's a real threat. 

Don’t underestimate a new franchise that bungled their expansion draft looking to make a splash.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t underestimate a new franchise that bungled their expansion draft looking to make a splash.

I still don't see it, they have an experienced GM who knows this will bite him and Canucks will match anyway. All teams know that the cap isn't increasing for at least another 4 or 5 years, a GM who does an offer sheet right now, in a flat market, might find that other GMs, suddenly don't feel as friendly in trading with him.

It's a significant possibility, that it's 10 years before the Cap starts moving again.

I could be wrong, but I think GMs are going to be cautious.

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

2 firsts

1 2nd

1 3rd

or 4 firsts

How badly do you think Seattle finishes over those draft years, will really affect whether the Canucks match or not.

I know J.B. said he would, but when it comes down to it, I don't know.

Thing is the Canucks don't have to wait for their "new" draft picks to develop, they can be flipped to other teams for immediate help.

12 hours ago, stawns said:

Gotta be a fair deal.  Petey has been good, but if he's looking for superstar money he hasn't earned that and it's still on the fence whether he'll be that player or not.

Teams started to figure him out 

If he wants ovi kinda money I'd take 5 first round and call it a day 

47 minutes ago, gurn said:

2 firsts

1 2nd

1 3rd

or 4 firsts

How badly do you think Seattle finishes over those draft years, will really affect whether the Canucks match or not.

I know J.B. said he would, but when it comes down to it, I don't know.

Thing is the Canucks don't have to wait for their "new" draft picks to develop, they can be flipped to other teams for immediate help.

Seattle needs those lotto tickets for the big fish in these next 2 drafts. 

I highly doubt he gets offer sheeted, it is an extremely rare event,

But if he does, by some team, I don't think it is an automatic match. Maybe it's possible to work out a trade with the offering team, instead of taking the picks.

Or maybe taking the picks,

Big decisions take a bit of time to make.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I still don't see it, they have an experienced GM who knows this will bite him and Canucks will match anyway. All teams know that the cap isn't increasing for at least another 4 or 5 years, a GM who does an offer sheet right now, in a flat market, might find that other GMs, suddenly don't feel as friendly in trading with him.

It's a significant possibility, that it's 10 years before the Cap starts moving again.

I could be wrong, but I think GMs are going to be cautious.

Seattle has tons of cap space which is the most valuable asset in the NHL nowadays. Other GM's will trade with them no matter if they sign an offer sheet or not.

Benning would be the only one who would care that EP got offer sheeted.

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

I'm late to this party so I have a question: why wasn't Petey signed before? Why let it get to this? 

Cause his agent knows he gets more leveraged if Petey is left exposed to offer sheets. There is zero incentive for any offer sheet eligible rfa to sign before free agency other than when a GM obviously overpay.

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Seattle has tons of cap space which is the most valuable asset in the NHL nowadays. Other GM's will trade with them no matter if they sign an offer sheet or not.

Benning would be the only one who would care that EP got offer sheeted.

Mmmm I dont know about that. Benning had his growing pains, but he doesn't handcuff or trade dirty. I think Benning has alot of respect among the other gms. It's one thing to offer sheet a GM that no one trusts. Benning has respect. A GM screwing him means that GM will probably not be trusted to make in trades. It's very important for gms to keep good reputation with each other. If petterson played for Francis or Gillis or burke or one of those sleazy guys, I think an offer sheet would be more likely 

• Upvote 1

I don’t want to give Drury any ideas (not that he’s wandering on these boards), but if I were the Rangers, I’ll give Pettersson that 10M dollar offer sheet.

They’re the one team that can afford to lose all those picks.

48 minutes ago, Xur said:

Mmmm I dont know about that. Benning had his growing pains, but he doesn't handcuff or trade dirty. I think Benning has alot of respect among the other gms. It's one thing to offer sheet a GM that no one trusts. Benning has respect. A GM screwing him means that GM will probably not be trusted to make in trades. It's very important for gms to keep good reputation with each other. If petterson played for Francis or Gillis or burke or one of those sleazy guys, I think an offer sheet would be more likely 

This is exceedingly naive. Every GM in the league will do what is best for them. If another team has a player they want or cap space they need to offload a player in their own best interest, not one will decide against doing it because that GM offer sheeted any player on another team.

There is actually no evidence out there supporting that Benning is widely respected among his peers or that guys like Burke and Francis are not. 

Hockey is a business. Maintaining relationships is important but every GM understands that its a business. 

Offer sheets are perfectly legal. They are in the CBA. I know there is a whimsical notion that if poor Benning gets a player offer sheeted all the other GM's will circle the wagons and stop acting in their own best interests in an act of solidarity. Unfortunately the fact is none of them would blink an eye over it.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is exceedingly naive. Every GM in the league will do what is best for them. If another team has a player they want or cap space they need to offload a player in their own best interest, not one will decide against doing it because that GM offer sheeted any player on another team.

There is actually no evidence out there supporting that Benning is widely respected among his peers or that guys like Burke and Francis are not. 

Hockey is a business. Maintaining relationships is important but every GM understands that its a business. 

Offer sheets are perfectly legal. They are in the CBA. I know there is a whimsical notion that if poor Benning gets a player offer sheeted all the other GM's will circle the wagons and stop acting in their own best interests in an act of solidarity. Unfortunately the fact is none of them would blink an eye over it.

I see you know very little about business and negotiations. I am glad you are a passionate canucks fan. I love them too. I m in business and can see a much bigger picture. You say there is no proof, but everything that has happened shows the exactly that. 

Benning started off as exactly the GM you think he was. Inexperienced, naive, trying to appease the fan base.

He is very smart, and learned from his mistakes. After what vegas did, weaponizing the draft, good GM's have learned their lessons. Seattle is at a massive disadvantage right now because Francis tried to copy their dirty antics and no one would fall for it twice. 

Kelly mccrimmon is struggling now as well, due to no one wanting to "lose" a trade to him again.

Look at the absolutely brilliant moves made by Benning recently. These trades weren't available to other gms because he makes good hockey trades.

When he signs a UFA,  the team that loses that player sees it was to a good and fair offer.

Benning doesn't try to "win" trades. He makes fair value win/win trades. He doesn't compromise, he collaborates. Look at every teams media coverage. No team feels ripped off. That is how you make business relationships.

Every fan base wants their GM to rob other teams of their star players for their garbage. Luckily, good GM'S dont care about stealing one trade and then never being able to good faith trade again, just so a couple fan boys can brag on twitter for 1 day.

Engage in fair trades and deals, and you will have respect from the other business partners to engage in fair trade again.

A team offer sheeting EP knows they are burning that bridge. Only a GM desperate for 1 or 2 more years before losing their job forever would try that against a fair trading partner.

Like you said, it is a business. You don't sacrifice amazing long term gains at the expense of one small short gain to make a temporary small group of a fan base happy. 

Benning is one of the best GM'S in our recent history. He demands class and respect and gives it back. 

We are very lucky to have Benning.

Edited by Xur
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

If your team has the cap, why wouldn’t someone shoot for a 100% team leader and he is on track to one of the best centres in the league for the next decade or more. 

Montreal is really hot to make moves and distract away from Mailoux so this is extra needed. 

Glad JB didn’t hesitate to take a 3rd for a really good d man. 

a long time ago he held on to Hamhuis and Toronto and Vancouver had mountain different paths because of that choice.  

this year he is shedding his mistakes and making sure not to be taken advantage of. 

nice to see Vancouver has assets worth protecting.  

lol