The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

Just now, stawns said:

If he's not, it's going to be a big return for the Canucks.  I very much hope that JB has been paying attention to TO........you don't win with 4-5 players taking up most of your payroll.

I don't think he's ever looked at the Toronto model as one to follow. 

17 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Here's the thing though ..... if said essential player is forcing you to overpay, thus impacting other business/maneuvers that need to take place, I for one show him the door.  What is the point of laying a foundation with such a "me first" attitude.

An "essential" player is also one who understands the importance of compromise and has the humility to realize that they aren't bigger than the team. 

Petey will not disappoint. JP Barry on he other hand ..........

I'd love a player that takes less to win, but it's just not the reality of pro sports usually.

If another team was offering him a significant amount more than we did, it'd be hard to blame him.

You also have to take into account how much confidence the player has in his management - as in, what are they going to do with the money I leave on the table?

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

It doesn't.  It just means he less inclined to leave money/more inclined to squeeze more out of the team for less years at this point in time.

If taking a step back last season bothered him that much, wouldn't squeezing more out of the team for less years be counterproductive?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If taking a step back last season bothered him that much, wouldn't squeezing more out of the team for less years be counterproductive?

If it gets him closer to UFA, why not?

5 minutes ago, hero11 said:

If Vancouver can't match an offer sheet, take the draft picks and use that cap space elsewhere.

Lock up Hughes. 

Sucks if we lost Pettersson, but when one door closes another opens.

Draft picks will take a while to produce, and the team has already spent a lot of money to try to be competitive now. They will need to match any offer sheet. 

13 minutes ago, AV. said:

I LOL'd.  Thank you.

But seriously, as I've said periodically since February, I have it on good authority with my own source that Pettersson was not happy at all with what transpired over the off-season.  

To outright refuse to play for the team?  Never

But to be further enticed to want to stay over moving elsewhere?  Certainly.

His sentiments have been shared by teammates like Miller and Horvat.  Nobody wanted to take the step back last year.

I do think he's going to stay but I do think he will be coming in at around 8M on a short deal, which is not ideal because I think Barzal's contract should be target.

Honestly, you're such a clown! On good authority with my own source...get the f out of here!!! You don't know s***!! You really love getting attention, don't you! 

44 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

But EP is a superstar who dominates the game when he’s on the ice on both ends.

Ah  -  that explains why we were shut out in 3 of our 4 losses against Vegas in the Bubble playoffs.  I often wondered about that.

I could definitely see Seattle messing with us in the form of an offer sheet. I would hope EP would be classy enough to not sign it and instead use it as leverage. He deserves a nice contract but signing offer sheets and forcing your GM's hands is douchy, IF, the GM is working with you. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Honestly, you're such a clown! On good authority with my own source...get the f out of here!!! You don't know s***!! You really love getting attention, don't you! 

You need to count to three and have a timeout, mister.

Didn't anybody tell you to not shoot the messenger?

• RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, AV. said:

It doesn't.  It just means he less inclined to leave money/more inclined to squeeze more out of the team for less years at this point in time.

Um, no, it doesn't mean that at all. :picard:

Quit trying to cook up a story.

FWIW, Stecher was pretty bitter about being pushed out here too, and Boeser being friends with him wasn't overly happy either. But guess what? They both realize it's a business. Everyone involved also knows COVID/flat cap is in play here.

• Cheers 1