The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Jim B's give-aways of 23 draft picks under his rule come back to haunt the Canucks ?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

Only time will tell.

But I think it's fair to say by now that Benning would be much better off actually using his draft picks instead of trading them away in a package for roster players.

Amateur scouting is clearly ahead of pro scouting under this management team.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Miller was worth the first. 

I'd like to see Miller as our 3C

It would turn out to be a strong 2nd line type like a 2B line. We have the wingers for him

Training camp and exhibition games is the place to try things out.  Green did say he liked Miller at C when EP was out with injury last year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

People get obsessed with draft picks, especially high ones, but you can't just keep tanking forever, pooling picks and putting young guys out on the ice without any support and keep them losing. We've seen this in Buffalo and Edmonton for ages now. Edmonton has done well to drag themselves out of their hole (which they were in for a LONG time) but supporting McDavid with some decent defencemen but even now, they don't have a great bottom-6 and their defence is a bit weaker this off-season, plus I'd have question marks about their goaltending (although it was decent last season). 

You have to tank for a while, about 3-5 years of good high quality picks to build a young core, but after that you just get into a losing habit which is what the Canucks are dangerously close to, and someone has to drag us out of that hole. JB did that with OEL and Garland. This was a big-balls move but HAD to be done, otherwise we just keep losing and get into this state of picking 5-10th overall forever. The kids we have get no better, get into a losing mentality and we end up selling young guys like Buffalo are doing which is a disaster. That's what Buffalo need - a courageous GM who will go out and trade a top-5 pick for a star to support their kids and get them winning.

Picks are only picks after all, look at the percentage of them and how many end up being NHLers anyway. Besides, they're no good timing-wise at the moment - we need to be supporting our current core when they're peaking, and it's not going to be in 5 years time, Petey/Hughes/Brock/Bo are all getting good just about now, let's not waste that time.

I hope your right because i certainly wouldn't call OEL's hiring a "star" player.   He was a good player not so long ago but is over the hill at 30  and been in decline and we're now stuck with his very Big $ , L.T. contract.  As for Garlund, I don't know if i'd call him a star because many of my buds an I never even heard of him before the trade but he does have good stats on paper for sure.  

Fingers crossed and time will tell.   One thing that is an absolute 100% guarantee.  That is - if we miss the playoffs, Uncle jim and green are Terminated at the end of next season,put on a raft and pushed out to sea.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He was a good player not so long ago but is over the hill at 30 

Bad take, he was more than just a good player.

2 golds

1 silver

1 bronze in World Championship play

1 silver in Olympics

That alone means for 5 international competitions he was judged as one of the top Swedish d men in the world.

Not even going to bother listing his other accomplishments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Bad take, he was more than just a good player.

2 golds

1 silver

1 bronze in World Championship play

1 silver in Olympics

That alone means for 5 international competitions he was judged as one of the top Swedish d men in the world.

Not even going to bother listing his other accomplishments.

O.K...........he was a good great player not so long ago but is over the hill at 30 

• Thanks 1

This team is all in on "Now" we've had only one second round pick in the last 2 years, so if you thought the cupboard was bare before it's deffinitelt bare for the next 3-4 year. Our next chnace is 2022 picking in the 10-15 slot so a further 2 years development brings us to 2024 ... assuming we get the rightpick with a good future. At that time BB will be 27 and JTM will be 30, OEL  32.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

This team is all in on "Now" we've had only one second round pick in the last 2 years, so if you thought the cupboard was bare before it's deffinitelt bare for the next 3-4 year. Our next chnace is 2022 picking in the 10-15 slot so a further 2 years development brings us to 2024 ... assuming we get the rightpick with a good future. At that time BB will be 27 and JTM will be 30, OEL  32.

Please don't be so honest - you're ruining the Uncle Jim dream.

Good post BTW !

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 8:56 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Miller was worth the first. 

I'd like to see Miller as our 3C

It would turn out to be a strong 2nd line type like a 2B line. We have the wingers for him

I'm alright with this. 

It would keep the opposition on their toes, rolling 3 solid lines equally. 

Just need the right player with Petey with skill, and to be a deterrent. 

• Cheers 3

On 8/3/2021 at 7:08 PM, kanucks25 said:

Only time will tell.

But I think it's fair to say by now that Benning would be much better off actually using his draft picks instead of trading them away in a package for roster players.

Amateur scouting is clearly ahead of pro scouting under this management team.

Miller was a great pick up.   Plus we can get a first plus back if we want to.   Myers is fine.   The quality of our other guys was meh but did their jobs as placeholders, that part should be over for sometime now.    No way we can draft the entire team that's virtually impossible, needs to be a mix.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Giveaway implies something for free... hardly the case here. Jim traded a first round pick for Miller who was... you guess it a first round pick. You get my drift.

Have there been gaffes? For sure! Trading a pick and a prospect for Toffoli and letting him walk after going a point a game for you and signing Virtanen instead... that is a ghost story for Benning's grandkids for sure...

• Cheers 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:45 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

People get obsessed with draft picks, especially high ones, but you can't just keep tanking forever, pooling picks and putting young guys out on the ice without any support and keep them losing. We've seen this in Buffalo and Edmonton for ages now. Edmonton has done well to drag themselves out of their hole (which they were in for a LONG time) but supporting McDavid with some decent defencemen but even now, they don't have a great bottom-6 and their defence is a bit weaker this off-season, plus I'd have question marks about their goaltending (although it was decent last season). 

You have to tank for a while, about 3-5 years of good high quality picks to build a young core, but after that you just get into a losing habit which is what the Canucks are dangerously close to, and someone has to drag us out of that hole. JB did that with OEL and Garland. This was a big-balls move but HAD to be done, otherwise we just keep losing and get into this state of picking 5-10th overall forever. The kids we have get no better, get into a losing mentality and we end up selling young guys like Buffalo are doing which is a disaster. That's what Buffalo need - a courageous GM who will go out and trade a top-5 pick for a star to support their kids and get them winning.

Picks are only picks after all, look at the percentage of them and how many end up being NHLers anyway. Besides, they're no good timing-wise at the moment - we need to be supporting our current core when they're peaking, and it's not going to be in 5 years time, Petey/Hughes/Brock/Bo are all getting good just about now, let's not waste that time.

Successful teams will always have a blend of homegrown draft picks + veteran leadership that were acquired via trades or UFA signings. 

Unfortunately, this is something that the morons over at HF Canucks have not quite figured out yet.  

Furthermore, it’s not about pick accumulation.  It’s about how many of your draft picks and/or colleague recruits actually convert into NHL players.  This is another thing that the MORONS at HF Canucks have not quite figured out.  

Draft picks that have stuck:

-Pettersson (franchise center)

-Hughes (superstar D)

-Boeser (1st line Winger)

-Demko (possible budding superstar goalie)

-Hoglander (good top 6 player).

Draft picks that played atleast one full season:

-Gaudette

-Virtanen

-Tryamkin

On their way:

-Podkolzin

-Rathbone

-Juolevi

We were also responsible for developing Horvat, Markstrom, Stecher, and Hutton.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

short a few assets in the cupboard?

I think Dhaliwal is short a few assests in the cupboard if ya'll catch my meaning. Some Vancouver media just can't help but always try and drum up negativity. such an incessant critical market with the likes of Patterson, Macintrye, Sekeres and Drance.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

At this point I don’t even care what level he is at, I’m happy to send off those other three players for him 

We got such a good deal there.  Coyotes are obviously tanking.  They know OEL and Garland lift their crappy team to mediocre results.  They want to be terrible.  OEL and Garland lift us from average to very good.  

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1