The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions for Canucks opening night lineup

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

New York Islanders used a very effective 4th line in the Stanley Cup playoffs. 

[Article: The Identity Line
Barry Trotz praises Martin, Cizikas and Clutterbuck for shaping the team's identity. Barry Trotz was asked about the impact of his fourth line in Sunday's 5-1 win over Tampa Bay. 

The amicable coach was a little defiant, pausing before his response: "Which one is that?" Trotz asked. 

Clearly, the question was about the Matt Martin, Casey Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck trio, who combined for six points in the win, but what's not clear is if they should still be referred to as a fourth line. Sure, they take their line rushes last during warmups, but that might be routine more than rank, as their contributions have exceeded the expectations of a fourth line. 

"We always talk about them as the fourth line, but they are a very useful line for us," Trotz said. "They give you impact. When they are playing the right way, they give you a little of that bite that you want. They give you sort of that determination and speed on the puck and sort of an Islander identity. If there's a line that's sort of an identity line, well that's the best way to describe them better than a fourth line because they give us an identity."] 

A 4th line centered by Sutter just feels like milky toast. Because Sutter is in no way physical at all. 

So it’s like naming another line in the NHL the West Coast Express?

16 hours ago, Me_ said:

MILLER - PETTERSSON - BOESER

PEARSON - HORVAT - GARLAND

HÖGLANDER - DICKINSON - PODKOLZIN

MOTTE - SUTTER - HIGHMORE

EKMAN-LARSSON - MYERS

HUGHES - HAMONIC

RATHBONE - POOLMAN

DEMKO

HALAK

McEWEN - SCHENN - JUOLEVI                                                  

i would change miller and dickenson, otherwise i have the same line up.

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pearson, Miller, Lockwood:  is one heck of a good line.  

Miller still plays PP1.  He’s still on ice 18+ minutes/game.  

No. 
This doesn’t work at all.

We’re talking about putting a 1st liner with a career 2nd/3rd liner, and a plug.

Why are we even talking about this?

I say we go all the way in spreading scoring.

MOTTE - PETTERSSON - HIGHMORE

Pettersson would thrive as a 4C.

Play at LEAST. 8 minutes per game. Because why not.

Edited by Me_
  • RoughGame 1

18 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How can you guarantee that? What if we dont get a PP? 

It’s a long season.  Green can move Miller up with Petey if he thinks we need an offensive push, which is likely what would happen in P3 in games we are behind.  To me it makes sense to play a balanced lineup and then shorten the bench if needed.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a long season.  Green can move Miller up with Petey if he thinks we need an offensive push, which is likely what would happen in P3 in games we are behind.  To me it makes sense to play a balanced lineup and then shorten the bench if needed.  

Alf. I very much respect your opinion.

But this idea doesn’t jive.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No. 
This doesn’t work at all.

We’re talking about putting a 1st liner with a career 2nd/3rd liner, and a plug.

Why are we even talking about this?

I say we go all the way in spreading scoring.

MOTTE - PETTERSSON - HIGHMORE

Pettersson would thrive as a 4C.

Play around 8 minutes per game. Because why not.

I think we see a lot of Miller at centre.  If it makes you more comfortable, label whatever line Miller is cantering the number one line.  

We might see a line of Hogs, Miller, Garland.  Or, Pearson, Miller, Podkolzin.  

For Miller it’s about him playing where he helps us win.  If that’s with Petey, fine.  But likely we see him at centre quite a bit too.  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Good read in today's CanucksArmy piece on who Bo's wingers could be ......

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/08/08/which-winger-play-bo-horvat-conor-garland-second-line/

Good read.

To be honest, I’d rather see Green break up the lotto line by switching up Boeser and Garland.   Even though Garland is diminutive in stature, I feel like his ability to win puck battles and overall tenacity will complement Petey a little bit more on that top line.  Garland also has the skill and smarts to play with both Miller and Petey on the top line (so does Boeser in this regard).  Miller, as usual, can help out with face offs and the defensive end of things.

Meanwhile, I think Boeser fits in better with Horvat since Horvat can help with board battles and retrieving picks while Boeser can set up shop.  I also like Pearson on this line because he gives the line a little more size and can also help both Horvat and Boeser out defensively.  

I also do NOT like the idea of Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin on the 3rd line because I think the line will have a little difficulty producing offense....and getting Podkolzin to that next level in terms of his offensive potential might be difficult if he’s playing with Dickinson and Pearson.  That’s why I like Hoglander on this line.  I think Hoglander’s presence will give Podkolzin someone more offensive minded to play with.  This will also possibly help Dickinson maximize his offensive potential a little.

Miller-Pettersson-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Having said that, I wouldn’t mind the lotto line remaining intact while Garland playing with BoHo and TP.  Take advantage of pre-existing chemistry and familiarity.  

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

So it’s like naming another line in the NHL the West Coast Express?

Yeah we'd find a name. But as it is, our 4th lines have only been so so. And our 4th lines haven't had much ice time, regularly sub 10 minutes a game. I can't remember when we've actually had a strong 4th line. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What makes sense is  to not have a top line forward on the third line. And a third line forward on top line. 

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What makes sense is  to not have a top line forward on the third line. And a third line forward on top line. 

Doesn’t it depend on if we’re winning or not?  If we are playing three balanced line with Miller at centre, and we’re winning games I’m happy.  If Miller is playing with Petey and we’re winning I’m happy.  I just want us to win!  

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i would change miller and dickenson, otherwise i have the same line up.

That would be very interesting and something that I’d also possibly consider.  Miller would be able to help take Podkolzin’s offensive game to another level while Dickinson would still be able to provide a lot of the grit and defensive conscience that Miller provided Petey on the lotto line (although Dickinson wouldn’t be able to help out much on face offs).

If we’re going off of past proven performance, then I also wouldn’t mind see Miller, Boeser, and Hoglander play with one another.  The Canucks went 8-3-1 post Petey injury when this was the top line.  Maybe the Canucks could throw out....

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser 

Dickinson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

the odd time to keep opponents guessing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

In no way does 1st liner Miller becomes 3C.

None.

I hear you but I would do everything possible to have him as a 3rd line center.

It's tough because numbering the line implies he is "third" but I would still see him start the game as a 3rd line center and finish the night top 3 forwards in ice time.

Third line center, first unit pp and pk, most critical draws. Massive assignment, in which the "third" line center is not appropriate.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Vintage 1