The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions for Canucks opening night lineup

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

My guess is that the Canucks are going to go HARD after Colton Parayko in the 2022 off season since he’s almost exactly what we need.  Josh Manson and Connor Murphy would be our Plan B’s.

Where does the cap space come from though Luongo 3M comes off the books but we have to eat 2.5M for Holtby and Virtanen. 

I would have liked another right side D-man like Schenn(for 850k or less) instead of poolman and then use that 2.5M on a forward but overall I’m very pleased with the off-season unlike last year.

this would be my ideal lineup

UFA(2.5M) Petey Boeser

Hogz BO Garland

Pearson Miller Podz

Motte Sutter Dickenson

Highmore

that way we’d have 3 lines that can score and a 4th line(checking line) you could trust to be on the ice against anyone.

OEL Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Schenn

juolevi 

Would love this lineup so much but maybe Poolman will surprise me and be worth that contract 

Edited by brian42

6 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Where does the cap space come from though Luongo 3M comes off the books but we have to eat 2.5M for Holtby and Virtanen. 

I would try and move Hamonic for a low pick (3 million), plus replace both Sutter and Halak with talent within the system (so about another 1 milllion in savings there).  Yeah looks like you might be right unfortunately.  I had forgotten about our 2.5 M owed to Holtby and Virtanen.

Id honestly offer Hughes and Myers for Graves, Subbann, and a 1st with the expectation that we’d walk from Subban after one year and then go HARD after Parayko or Klingberg based on what we needed more at that time (an OFD or DFD).  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Won't be much/any cap space next year. As you mentioned - that 3m covers the buyouts. 
We're also going to need a new and more expensive contract for Boeser and Rathbone. About 500k in cap space will be available + another 500k or so if we don't re-sign Halak and give DiPietro the job. Pretty sure Boeser's raise is going to be more than 1m. 

JB is banking on the cap going up I imagine.

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

I would try and move Hamonic for a low pick (3 million), plus replace both Sutter and Halak with talent within the system (so about another 1 milllion in savings there).  Yeah looks like you might be right unfortunately.  I had forgotten about our 2.5 M owed to Holtby and Virtanen.

Id honestly offer Hughes and Myers for Graves, Subbann, and a 1st with the expectation that we’d walk from Subban after one year and then go HARD after Parayko or Klingberg based on what we needed more at that time (an OFD or DFD).  

I could see The Canucks wanting to move Myers just to free up cap space and find a better fit much like the Schmidt deal, hopefully he will play well enough to retain some value. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Won't be much/any cap space next year. As you mentioned - that 3m covers the buyouts. 
We're also going to need a new and more expensive contract for Boeser and Rathbone. About 500k in cap space will be available + another 500k or so if we don't re-sign Halak and give DiPietro the job. Pretty sure Boeser's raise is going to be more than 1m. 

JB is banking on the cap going up I imagine.

Yah for sure, Boeser’s qualifying offer is 7.5M 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I would have liked another right side D-man like Schenn(for 850k or less) instead of poolman and then use that 2.5M on a forward but overall I’m very pleased with the off-season unlike last year.

this would be my ideal lineup

UFA(2.5M) Petey Boeser

Hogz BO Garland

Pearson Miller Podz

Motte Sutter Dickenson

Highmore

that way we’d have 3 lines that can score and a 4th line(checking line) you could trust to be on the ice against anyone.

OEL Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Schenn

juolevi 

Would love this lineup so much but maybe Poolman will surprise me and be worth that contract 

Nucks can still do that if they want.

Dickinson can play anywhere in the line-up and Poolman will be replaced by Schenn if Schenn outplays him.  

Dickenson-Pettersson-Boeser 

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Miller-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

Halak

Could still happen.

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Furthermore, we may find that to start, Podz might not be an immediate top 6 player. He might start out barely a 3rd line player for all we know so far. In that case, the point kinda becomes moot. In that case, perhaps we consider Hogs to the 2nd and Pearson to the 3rd as an alternative look.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Podkolzin starting out as the 13th forward and then being moved to the 4th line.  I know that some of our fanbase and media will be jumping off the Lions Gate Bridge if that happens. 

Edit: furthermore, we've seen that Green likes putting new players and inexperienced players on a line with Sutter because he can help them stay calm on the ice and cover for them defensively.  

Edited by VancouverHabitant

20 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I could see The Canucks wanting to move Myers just to free up cap space and find a better fit much like the Schmidt deal, hopefully he will play well enough to retain some value. 

Ideally, Myers wouldn't require retention or a MASSIVE sweetener (Hughes) to get rid of but I'm not sure if this would be feasible.  

But yeah - I am definitely of the opinion that if the Canucks are serious about taking the next step beyond this coming season, they'll have to find a way to get Myers off the books free and clear while simultaneously getting a top pairing shut down man.   

Hughes and Myers to New Jersey would definitely do that imo.  

-2021-2022: [current Canucks roster + Graves + Subban = 1st or 2nd round appearance]

-2022-2023: [current Canucks roster + Graves + either Parayako or Klingberg = perennial 2nd round appearances and beyond for 'x' number of years]

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Dickinson - Garland

Motte - Sutter - Mackewan 

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Joelevi - Schenn 

I think with Dickinson in, its obvious Bo is going to finally get the green light to focus more on offense.  This team needs 2 scoring lines to take the next step.  

I also think with Shaw in, his system favours more of the bigger guys who are hard to play against.  Thats why Schenn and OJ will get the nod over players that play small like Rathbone.

26 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Podkolzin starting out as the 13th forward and then being moved to the 4th line.

Respectfully disagree. Podkolzin is a can't-miss player in my books, and his drive is what will have him on the opening roster even if he isn't ready for the spotlight. He will be useful immediately even if it's only in a relentless energy role on the 4th. How far up the ladder he climbs and how quickly is in his own hands.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Ideally, Myers wouldn't require retention or a MASSIVE sweetener (Hughes) to get rid of but I'm not sure if this would be feasible.  

But yeah - I am definitely of the opinion that if the Canucks are serious about taking the next step beyond this coming season, they'll have to find a way to get Myers off the books free and clear while simultaneously getting a top pairing shut down man.   

Hughes and Myers to New Jersey would definitely do that imo.  

-2021-2022: [current Canucks roster + Graves + Subban = 1st or 2nd round appearance]

-2022-2023: [current Canucks roster + Graves + either Parayako or Klingberg = perennial 2nd round appearances and beyond for 'x' number of years]

Yah they are definitely going to have to be creative to improve going forward and keep Boeser next year followed by Horvat and Miller after that. 

• Cheers 1

Depending on what our RFAs sign for...but maybe there is some money to sign Saad for cheap ($3-4M per year).  He had a down year and it's a flat cap.

Hogz EP Boeser

Pearson Bo Garland 

Saad Miller Podz

Motte Sutter Dickinson 

Highmore MacEwen 

OEL Meyers

Hughes Hamonic 

OJ Poolman

Rathbone 

Demko

Halak

55 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I'm starting to come around on the idea of moving on from Miller next offseason. Depending on how Podkolzin, Garland and Hogz do, and whether or not Petey can establish himself as a true no 1 center. If we do move Miller, that should free up some space, or net us a top 4 RHD. Let's assume for the sake of Parayako that Miller gets moved for a pick, so we have his cap space to sign Para.

Unfortunately that does leave us shallow on LW, but that may just have to be the price we pay for fixing the blueline.

And yes, moving on from Myers is a must. No idea what it would cost to make that happen, but he would only have two years left at that point, and he still has value as a big, mobile RHD. We might be able to get a suitor. 

There also exists the possibility that Woo has a big year in Abby and is ready to compete for a roster spot next season, which may allow us to move on from Hamonic. 

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm starting to come around on the idea of moving on from Miller next offseason. Depending on how Podkolzin, Garland and Hogz do, and whether or not Petey can establish himself as a true no 1 center. If we do move Miller, that should free up some space, or net us a top 4 RHD. Let's assume for the sake of Parayako that Miller gets moved for a pick, so we have his cap space to sign Para.

Unfortunately that does leave us shallow on LW, but that may just have to be the price we pay for fixing the blueline.

And yes, moving on from Myers is a must. No idea what it would cost to make that happen, but he would only have two years left at that point, and he still has value as a big, mobile RHD. We might be able to get a suitor. 

There also exists the possibility that Woo has a big year in Abby and is ready to compete for a roster spot next season, which may allow us to move on from Hamonic. 

Why would we want to move on from Hamonic?  Hes a legit top 4 d that plays exactly the way Shaw wants dmen to play.  When Woo makes the club we will more likely see Rathbone dealt.

20 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Why would we want to move on from Hamonic?  Hes a legit top 4 d that plays exactly the way Shaw wants dmen to play.  When Woo makes the club we will more likely see Rathbone dealt.

Cap space.

Woo and Rathbone play different sides, so whether Woo makes it or not has no bearing on Rathbone.

Also, Rathbone is better than Juolevi.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Cap space.

Woo and Rathbone play different sides, so whether Woo makes it or not has no bearing on Rathbone.

Also, Rathbone is better than Juolevi.

Rathbone isnt better than OJ.  And OJ has the higher ceiling.  

Youre not going to contend when you have a top 6 that consists of 2 small and soft dmen that arent good defenders.