The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions for Canucks opening night lineup

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

6 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Rathbone isnt better than OJ.  And OJ has the higher ceiling.  

Youre not going to contend when you have a top 6 that consists of 2 small and soft dmen that arent good defenders. 

:picard:        It is almost like you don't watch the Canucks

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Jan where u been? Lots of things been going on. I totally called the schmidt trade.

LOL.......I have been watching

Alot has happened and Benning has been true to his word

I was just gathering my thoughts

I had to get over the OEL trade, which I am now on board with

Thanks to some friends.........cmmon sense prevailed!

What I like most is how he has remade the team

Now, we wait for training camp........maybe a another pick up

But now its mostly rebuilding abby

I wonder how Jake is today?

PS.....good work on the Schmidt trade........I thought he was worth more......I was wrong!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

LOL.......I have been watching

Alot has happened and Benning has been true to his word

I was just gathering my thoughts

I had to get over the OEL trade, which I am now on board with

Thanks to some friends.........cmmon sense prevailed!

What I like most is how he has remade the team

Now, we wait for training camp........maybe a another pick up

But now its mostly rebuilding abby

I wonder how Jake is today?

PS.....good work on the Schmidt trade........I thought he was worth more......I was wrong!

I know trading that 9th pick was gonna hurt u so i didnt reach out till now. Lmao

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I know trading that 9th pick was gonna hurt u so i didnt reach out till now. Lmao

Well, if we take another step forward, I am all in.

Gotta give Benning a break and wait and see

It is the reason I am not a GM.............or rather one of many!

• Cheers 1

While I think this is the 'opener' I think the season will see the top two lines change with Boeser and Bo together with Garland, and Hogs up with Miller and Petey (to balance off the lines better).

Miller Petey Boeser

Garland Bo Hoglander

Pearson Dickinson Motte

Highmore Sutter McKewan

Podz (because green is green)

OEL  Meyers

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Poolman

Rathbone Schenn

Demko 

Halak

--------------------------

Most of the Season

Miller Petey Hoglander

Garland Bo Boeser

Pearson Dickinson Podz

Motte Sutter Mckewan

Highmore/Gadj/Lockwood as spares call ups

Same D and Goalies as above

• Cheers 1

Well, if we take another step forward, I am all in.

Gotta give Benning a break and wait and see

It is the reason I am not a GM.............or rather one of many!

Guess it was guenther we missed out on. Getting garland was the piece i wanted. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Rathbone isnt better than OJ.  And OJ has the higher ceiling.  

Youre not going to contend when you have a top 6 that consists of 2 small and soft dmen that arent good defenders. 

As of this moment Rathbone is better. Both players throw hits at a similar rate and have a similar giveaway/takeaway ratio (not good), however Rathbone's rate of production and corsi numbers are superior.

Also, one must take into account how well each player has  performed since being drafted. Juolevi has had his struggles every step of the way. His run in junior after being drafted was nothing to write home about, nor was his performance at the World Juniors. He also had his issues in liiga as well before stepping up big during the playoffs (credit to him there), and his time in the AHL has been somewhat of a mixed bag as well. Rathbone, meanwhile, has excelled, and made the jump to the AHL with no difficulty whatsoever. This was obviously noticed by management, as he was up on the main roster after his brief (but very succesful) stint in Utica.

So yes, Rathbone is better as of this moment.

But again, whether or not Woo makes the lineup next year has no bearing on Rathbone (or Juolevi). Woo would have to displace someone on the right side, and since Myers and Poolman are both anchors, the most likely candidate is Hamonic.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2009cupchamps said:

I think he does watch the Canucks. Joulevi is better with a higher ceiling for an over all game and Rathbone is smaller then Hughes. So we have our token small d man

No.............Rathbone is 5'11" 190 lbs......Hughes is 5'10" 170 lbs  as per cap friendly

Also if he had watched he would have seen Rathbone hitting and not bouncing off...............totally different players, Hughes will never be able to do that.

Asv for ceiling..........ceiling works for about 3 years in most cases, sometime 4, but by then, most players have shown their ceiling

What you are talking about is their precieved ceiling at draft day...........many do not reach that, and I like Juolevi and he may improve

But as for quoting ceilings of Draft + 6 years..........best not to

Rathbone has had 16 professional games, and looked very good in all of them, including the 8 with the Canucks

Let us just wait and see..........

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No.............Rathbone is 5'11" 190 lbs......Hughes is 5'10" 170 lbs  as per cap friendly

Also if he had watched he would have seen Rathbone hitting and no bouncing off...............totally different players, Hughes will never be able to do that.

Asv for ceiling..........ceiling works for about 3 years in most cases, sometime 4, but by then, most players have shown their ceiling

What you are talking about is their precieved ceiling at draft day...........many do not reach that, and I like Juolevi and he may improve

But as for quoting ceilings of Draft + 6 years..........best not to

Rathbone has had 16 professional games, and looked very good in all of them, including the 8 with the Canucks

Let us just wait and see..........

Have u seen rathbones legs? Thick as hell. I think hes way stronger than ppl give him credit for

• Cheers 2

I don't know much about the player

But you guys are getting me excited

Let's hope!

Dude cmon get on YouTube and watch him. Poor mans Braydon Point!! His skating is unbelievable. When he played with eichel he was outscoring him even in juniors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Dude cmon get on YouTube and watch him. Poor mans Braydon Point!! His skating is unbelievable. When he played with eichel he was outscoring him even in juniors.

Except he never played with Eichel.......lol

Well, maybe somewhere, but I could not find it

13 minutes ago, beni said:

Not sure what's going to happen

Vancouver currently has 14M left to sign Petey, Hughes, Juolevi and Dickinson. 

Who gets traded? 

Lol wut? We have more than 14. Most of the signings we did today wont be counted against the cap they will be playing in abbotsford. Pretty sure we have around 20 or something maybe a bit less. Cap friendly adds the signing today to the cap hit and take it off when they get sent to the ahl.

• Cheers 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

Here is my current prediction:

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickenson - Podkolzin

Motte - MacEwen - Lockwood

Extras: Gadjovich

Hughes - Hamonic

Ekman Larsson - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Extras: Rathbone, Bowey

Demko

Halak

agreed BUT Hughes shouldn't have to be going up against 1st lines, he's still learning the ropes and should be 2nd line match ups instead, that's a lot to ask of someone his age.. he was bound to hit a wall last season and then he was roasted on the boards and Vancouver media, geez... however I like what JB just did but I don't think I would give Garland that much but whatever, I would have offered a mil off a season, hopefully he'll look like a steal when (crossing fingers) the cap increases... but at the end of the day, we're a bigger better team than last year

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

agreed BUT Hughes shouldn't have to be going up against 1st lines, he's still learning the ropes and should be 2nd line match ups instead, that's a lot to ask of someone his age.. he was bound to hit a wall last season and then he was roasted on the boards and Vancouver media, geez... however I like what JB just did but I don't think I would give Garland that much but whatever, I would have offered a mil off a season, hopefully he'll look like a steal when (crossing fingers) the cap increases... but at the end of the day, we're a bigger better team than last year

Yeah agreed and the key thing this year was providing more D balance so it wasn’t all on Quinn.  I think OEL Myers will play the tougher matchups giving Quinn a bit of freedom.  If Rathbone becomes dangerous that also helps take some of the matchups.  Either way we are quite a bit better than last year.