The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions for Canucks opening night lineup

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

28 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

agreed BUT Hughes shouldn't have to be going up against 1st lines, he's still learning the ropes and should be 2nd line match ups instead, that's a lot to ask of someone his age.. he was bound to hit a wall last season and then he was roasted on the boards and Vancouver media, geez... however I like what JB just did but I don't think I would give Garland that much but whatever, I would have offered a mil off a season, hopefully he'll look like a steal when (crossing fingers) the cap increases... but at the end of the day, we're a bigger better team than last year

Yeah we shoulda gave garland 7 years instead of 5!

• Wat 1

32 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Lol wut? We have more than 14. Most of the signings we did today wont be counted against the cap they will be playing in abbotsford. Pretty sure we have around 20 or something maybe a bit less. Cap friendly adds the signing today to the cap hit and take it off when they get sent to the ahl.

@beni 

Dowling, Di Giuseppi and Bailey account for 2.25 mil or so, and they'll be starting in the AHL most likely.  The same goes for Brad Hunt on defense with 0.8 mil.  

So it's safe to add about 3 million to that 14, meaning that for 17 mil we need to get Elias, Quinn, Dickinson and Juolevi done.  Juolevi is looking at less then a million.  Dickinson should come in at 3 million max, leaving 13 million between the two big names.  

7 x 3 for Elias 

6 x 4 for Quinn 

We get to the floor and once the season starts we are able to take advantage of Michael Ferland's LTIR money (3.5 million) to add someone.  

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@beni 

Dowling, Di Giuseppi and Bailey account for 2.25 mil or so, and they'll be starting in the AHL most likely.  The same goes for Brad Hunt on defense with 0.8 mil.  

So it's safe to add about 3 million to that 14, meaning that for 17 mil we need to get Elias, Quinn, Dickinson and Juolevi done.  Juolevi is looking at less then a million.  Dickinson should come in at 3 million max, leaving 13 million between the two big names.  

7 x 3 for Elias 

6 x 4 for Quinn 

We get to the floor and once the season starts we are able to take advantage of Michael Ferland's LTIR money (3.5 million) to add someone.  

True, OJ will likely be sub 1M

I think I had too long of a day and should have gone to sleep before posting at midnight. Completely forgot about minors salary/two way deals :huh:

Miller-Pettersson-Garland

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin 

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Demko

Halak

Strengths:

• Upfront depth 
  • A solid combination of playmakers, snipers, two way forwards, grinders, and shut down forwards
  • Very good left defense depth, skill, and puck moving abilities
  • Very good goaltending depth + possible burgeoning superstar in Demko.
  • Very good defensive prowess and physicality on right side defense

Weaknesses:

• Still a little soft up front although they have substantially improved in this area.
  • Lack of a true top pairing shut down guy on defense which could make them susceptible to getting hemmed by opposing top lines.  Can OEL be a two way d-man?  Is Poolman anything more than a #6?  Are Hamonic and Myers anything more than a #4?  Can any of our right side Dmen cover for Hughes, or even OEL if required?

Long term outlook:

• The Canucks should be able to consistently make the playoffs over the next few years or so, but will they be able to ascend to the elite level?  
  • The current Canucks cap configuration seems to suggest that any cap coming off the books will simply be used to re-up internal players, whether that’s accommodating Holtby’s and Virtanen’s buyouts, or re-upping Boeser, Horvat, Miller, and eventually Pettersson and Hughes again.  Canucks might not be able to become truly elite until Tyler Myers’ contract comes off the books three years from now.

My verdict:

• This is a good but not great team that should be able to make the playoffs for the next little while here.  I see us being similar to the Edmonton Oilers of last season.  If making the playoffs was the goal, then I think we will very likely achieve that over these next few years. However, this is likely not an elite team due to a lack of top quality shut down men on the top four.  
  • If the Canucks can somehow find a true top pairing shut down man to play with OEL or Hughes, then we should be able to join the elite ranks.   

My suggestion:

• At some point, the Canucks will need to get Tyler Myers off the books.  Preferably at the end of this season if possible.  While my Quinn Hughes + Tyler Myers suggestion to New Jersey was not a good one, we still need to find a way to move him out.  Chicago and Detroit were (are?) taking big contracts with term and so perhaps something can be worked out with one of those teams.  A Tyler Myers for Connor Murphy type deal might be ideal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

No.............Rathbone is 5'11" 190 lbs......Hughes is 5'10" 170 lbs  as per cap friendly

Also if he had watched he would have seen Rathbone hitting and not bouncing off...............totally different players, Hughes will never be able to do that.

Asv for ceiling..........ceiling works for about 3 years in most cases, sometime 4, but by then, most players have shown their ceiling

What you are talking about is their precieved ceiling at draft day...........many do not reach that, and I like Juolevi and he may improve

But as for quoting ceilings of Draft + 6 years..........best not to

Rathbone has had 16 professional games, and looked very good in all of them, including the 8 with the Canucks

Let us just wait and see..........

Canucks website has them both at 5’ 10”. Hughes at 180 lbs and Rathbone at 177. Not sure what site your using. Yes Joulevi is delayed due to injuries but did look better than Rathbone last year. Joulevi got hit hard with COVID and never really bounced back during the year. Everyone is entitled to their opinion just don’t say someone doesn’t watch the games just because they have a different option from you. 

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Yeah, I think they'll be interchangeable, depending on game needs. At first I was thinking about two very green players on the same line, and figured balancing out the lines with Hogs on the 2nd line, but, really, there's so much that will determine the lines, such as chemistry and performance. Heck, Podz could be place on the #1 line in no time for all we know. He's that good. Green has so many options, so it'll be a test for him to find the best combos. Fml, why do we have to wait for so long until training camp?!

Edited by Jester13
  • Haha 1

Still a bit early and JB is probably taking a breather now...

Some notable names still available that maybe affordable to suit our needs: E. Staal, Bozak, Gusev, Anisimov... 

I'd be really disappointed if JB is done upgrading our forward group, expecting Petan, Di Giuseppe, Bailey and Highmore to compete for last couple roster spots!!

I do wonder if Dickinson will be able to contribute offensively enough for us to successfully roll 3 lines with the potential to score. Whether it's Pearson or Hoglander on Dick's left wing (hopefully Pearson), we know they have the ability to produce, and Podkolzin has some offensive ability, but the center position is so important in terms of driving a line.

As a 3C Sutter was as defensively sound as they come, and he himself could score goals, but his playmaking ability was nonexistent, and as a result we could never rely on anything resembling some form of consistent offense from our 3rd line. I just hope we're not looking at the same type of situation with Dickinson. Even going back to his days in junior he's never been a big producer. Probably my biggest worry about the forward group.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

On 7/28/2021 at 10:55 PM, Patel Bure said:

Nucks can still do that if they want.

Dickinson can play anywhere in the line-up and Poolman will be replaced by Schenn if Schenn outplays him.  

Dickenson-Pettersson-Boeser 

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Miller-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

Halak

Could still happen.

This is such a good line-up. To me, Coach Green usually makes really good line combo decisions. I never considered Dickenson at 1LW, but it does make sense because having Miller as a Force on the 3rd line is such a strong and unique look. But the coach seems to really like Miller on the EP line and I don't blame him.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Ms.Glitter said:

This is such a good line-up. To me, Coach Green usually makes really good line combo decisions. I never considered Dickenson at 1LW, but it does make sense because having Miller as a Force on the 3rd line is such a strong and unique look. But the coach seems to really like Miller on the EP line and I don't blame him.

Agreed that Miller will likely be the LW on Perry’s line.  Still - would be nice to have that option though.  If Podkolzin shows great offensive potential early on, then who knows? Maybe Green does infact go with Pettersson, Horvat, and Miller down then middle.

Green and Benning also know how the Canucks performed when Petey went out of the line-up pre Covid outbreak. Nucks were 8-3-2 with Miller at center.  Nucks definitely have that option in their back pocket.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser (post Petey injury)

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Dickenson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

While I doubt that we will see the above lines thrown for an extended period of time, maybe we do see it for a period or something to change things up, given what we saw during that 8-3-2 stretch.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Demko

Halak

Strengths:

• Upfront depth 
  • A solid combination of playmakers, snipers, two way forwards, grinders, and shut down forwards

Weaknesses:

• Still a little soft up front although they have substantially improved in this area.
  • Lack of a true top pairing shut down guy on defense which could make them susceptible to getting hemmed by opposing top lines.  Can OEL be a two way d-man?  Is Poolman anything more than a #6?  Are Hamonic and Myers anything more than a #4?  Can any of our right side Dmen cover for Hughes, or even OEL if required?

Long term outlook:

• The Canucks should be able to consistently make the playoffs over the next few years or so, but will they be able to ascend to the elite level?  
  • The current Canucks cap configuration seems to suggest that any cap coming off the books will simply be used to re-up internal players, whether that’s accommodating Holtby’s and Virtanen’s buyouts, or re-upping Boeser, Horvat, Miller, and eventually Pettersson and Hughes again.  Canucks might not be able to become truly elite until Tyler Myers’ contract comes off the books three years from now.

My verdict:

• This is a good but not great team that should be able to make the playoffs for the next little while here.  I see us being similar to the Edmonton Oilers of last season.  If making the playoffs was the goal, then I think we will very likely achieve that over these next few years. However, this is likely not an elite team due to a lack of top quality shut down men on the top four.  
  • If the Canucks can somehow find a true top pairing shut down man to play with OEL or Hughes, then we should be able to join the elite ranks.   

My suggestion:

• At some point, the Canucks will need to get Tyler Myers off the books.  Preferably at the end of this season if possible.  While my Quinn Hughes + Tyler Myers suggestion to New Jersey was not a good one, we still need to find a way to move him out.  Chicago and Detroit were (are?) taking big contracts with term and so perhaps something can be worked out with one of those teams.  A Tyler Myers for Connor Murphy type deal might be ideal.

Good looking starting lineup - if it stays healthy; the glue will be the system in place, were (even) a depth guy can be a short fill in and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Motte - Sutter - Dickinson

Hoglander - Highmore - Podkolzin

OEL - Hamonic

Hughes - Poolman

Rathbone - Myers

Demko

Halak

MacEwen, Juolevi, Schenn are the extras.

“All the eggs in one basket”

I know the lines below won’t be the final configuration (see above posts in this thread for more orthodox line combinations), but here is my alternative line combination plan.

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Miller-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Hughes

Rathbone-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Poolman

Demko

Halak

I'm assuming all the usual suspects for skaters/goalies as have been noted above.

The big difference I see is that the team may want to take a closer/longer look at some of the new d-men. In order to do this they will need a greater flexibility with the roster (to avoid waivers on a guy they may want to keep, or perhaps assess assets for trades), therefore, Rathbone will start the season in Abbottsford (Ekman-Larsson, Hughes and one of Juolevi, etc will take the left side bottom pairing).. Perhaps after 5(ish or so) games he will be brought back up, or not.

regards,  G.

9 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Demko

Halak

Strengths:

• Upfront depth 

Weaknesses:

Long term outlook:

My verdict:

My suggestion:

This is spot on. Good analysis and exactly the lines I want to see with one potential change.

I think Garland is the kind of guy Horvat needs on his line and the top line needs Boeser's shot.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

That first line has a good combination of playmaking and finishing with a good puck retriever (Miller) and decent defensive play. That second line will cause fits with their speedy, high energy, puck hounding style. Garland and Hogs are both good playmakers and can finish. Horvat can go to the net like a beast. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is spot on. Good analysis and exactly the lines I want to see with one potential change.

I think Garland is the kind of guy Horvat needs on his line and the top line needs Boeser's shot.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

That first line has a good combination of playmaking and finishing with a good puck retriever (Miller) and decent defensive play. That second line will cause fits with their speedy, high energy, puck hounding style. Garland and Hogs are both good playmakers and can finish. Horvat can go to the net like a beast. 

Thanks man.  Only reason why I switched Boeser and Garland around is because I actually think they are better stylistic fits on those lines.  

Despite his small size, Garland is a grinder and very tenacious in the corners.  He can snipe, be a playmaker, and help Pettersson in terms of digging pucks and/or getting in the open for Petey.  On the 2nd line, I feel like Horvat can be the guy to win board battles on that line and clear space for Boeser as Boeser sets up shop.  Both Hoglander and Boeser are dually comfortable being playmakers and snipers and so I think they will also feed off well with one another.

Having Hoglander and Garland on the same line scares me a bit due to their combined lack of size and so I'd rather see them play apart.   

I’ve got it something like this.

Miller           Pettersson   Garland

Podkolzin    Horvat         Boeser 

Pearson      Dickinson    Hoglander

Motte          Sutter           MacEwan

Hughes        Poolman 

OEL             Hamonic

Juolevi         Myers

Demko 

Halak 

Scratches/Minors

Bailey

Highmore 

Gadjovich

Rathbone

Schenn

Obviously the D pairings and winger combos are interchangeable depending on who develops chemistry with each other. I think that’s the opening night roster though. Maybe not Podkolzin as Green seems to be somewhat old school and save opening night for veterans.