The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions for Canucks opening night lineup

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Apparently Shaw pushed hard for Poolman so I think he's going to be a regular.

The pairing I'm curious about is who pairs with OEL.

OEL had his best season playing with Yandle so Myers makes sense but of all the regulars last season he saw the least amount top pairing minutes.

TSN's "Odog"  and Button are both fans of Poolman and think his speed and style make the most sense for OEL.

Off topic a bit but I found it very interesting how different TSN views the moves Benning has made compared to SN.

TSN had us as the winners in free agency among the Canadian teams and praised Benning for the recent moves, while SN gave them a D+ while giving the Oilers an A and the leafs a B+.

SN keeps getting worse and have become so political and woke, very annoying. 

Lmfao they really didn't give the Oilers less than a C?! Their moves were dreadful. 

Juolevi makes team:

Miller-Pettersson-Garland 

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman 

Juolevi-Myers

Schenn

Demko

Halak

3-line Pronged attack:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Dickinson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic
Hughes-Poolman
Juolevi-Myers

Demko
Halak

Edited by Patel Bure
11 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Juolevi makes team:

Miller-Pettersson-Garland 

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman 

Juolevi-Myers

Schenn

Demko

Halak

3-line Pronged attack:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Dickinson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic
Hughes-Poolman
Juolevi-Myers

Demko
Halak

Whys your best player on the 3rd line?  

Petey Miller Boeser

Hoglander Bo Garland

Pearson Dickson Podz

Motte Sutter Zak mac

Hughes Hammonic 

OEL Poolman

OJ Myers

Demko 

halak 

OEL is gonna make Hughes so much better in the simple fact he can eat up steady mins and take a lot of pressure off Hughes. Hughes was playing too much last year. Couldn’t rely on That to last forever. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3
2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Whys your best player on the 3rd line?  

Actually, the thought process behind those lines combos is that any of those lines could be used as a #1.   My line of thinking was the Canucks were 8-3-2 post Petey injury and pre Covid outbreak, and so why fix the wheel if it ain’t broke?   Keep Hoglander-Miller-Boeser together, and keep Horvat/Pearson together.  

With Dickinson acting as the defensive, physical, and face-off conscience for Pettersson (Miller’s old role), what better way to bring Podkolzin up to speed by playing him with Pettersson right from the get go?  It would be an absolute match ups nightmare for opposing teams.  

No matter what the Canucks do up front however, they will be very solid up there.  

Hoglander Miller Boeser did not click at all.  Miller and Boeser dont work together unless Petey is in the middle, and even then that isnt a line that is going to make us a contender. Anyway

...I agree, OJ makes the team. And Mackewan makes it too over Highmore even tnough i liked his game.

• Like 1
Just now, EddieVedder said:

Hoglander Miller Boeser did not click at all.  Miller and Boeser dont work together unless Petey is in the middle, and even then that isnt a line that is going to make us a contender. Anyway

...I agree, OJ makes the team. And Mackewan makes it too over Highmore even tnough i liked his game.

I’d like to see Green try different guys up with Petey and Bess.  I think Podzilla could work well there.  (Podzilla will stand up for Petey too.  He drops the mitts, and can be mean).  That would allow Miller to play centre as well, which really gives us three scoring lines.  Maybe Gadjovic in the lineup too?  

Pods, Gads, Mac all in the forward group provides a lot of physical toughness.  

• Hydration 1
On 7/30/2021 at 7:30 AM, NUCKER67 said:

I'm glad Benning signed extra D, and isn't solely relying on OEL to turn back the clock and do everything. Injuries happen, so it'll be nice to get Schenn in the lineup if needed, or Burroughs and Hunt, as opposed to Chatfield or Sautner, etc. 

They were saying on SN650 that OEL has struggled with the details in his game the last few years, some decision making, but I think the Canucks coaching staff can get on this and correct some things. I believe he lost focus because he stopped caring as much as he should. It's got to be soul crushing to play for the same desert team year after year, with hardly any fans, no one there cares. 

Reaves leaving the West is great, and because they lost their security blanket in Fleury as well, I don't think Vegas will be the same dominating team, their decline begins now. 

VAN wins the Pacific. 

If our defense holds up, I really believe that we could be at the top of the west. 

Hmm, opening night, 10 weeks away, right?  But predictions that will hopefully age well...

Miller Petersson Boesser   70pts/85pts/75pts

Pearson Horvat Garland     45pts/60pts/60 pts

Hoglander Dickenson Podkholzin  45pts/30pts/40pts

Motte Sutter Highmore  15pts/15pts/10pts

OEL Myers                  40pts/25pts

Hughes Hamonic         45pts/25pts

Rathbone Poolman      25pts/15pts

Demko                         looks like 60 starts, lets say 35 wins

Halak                           22 starts let's say 10 wins?

Extras Schenn Macewan Diguiseppe

So 45ish wins, and some loser points...  90pts range I would guess with the lineup without major injuries to key players.  I think that we are strong up front, with question marks, but not like OMG!! where are the goals coming from question marks.  This would probably be the best bottom 6 I've seen on this team in a decade.  Pearson is kind of a drag on the 2nd line, but that is still a pretty good 2nd line.  Having Sutter in less of a role should help with injury problems, dickenson should help take the heat off of Horvat, and that strong first line should take the best defensive deployments off of the other lines and allow for a few more goals.

Our defense is a major ? and gamble.  You're expecting a bounce back season from Hughes and OEL, and a quick synergy on talent back there and them being to be able to work together quickly.  We did bring in a good resource in Shaw, he did have input on personnel coming in.  So, the proof will be in the pudding that the sum of all of those parts will be better than they have shown individually.  

The fun part will be our special teams.  I think our power play will break out and be a major threat as we are able to ice 2 very competent and skilled power play units that you could also mix and match when opposition teams start to figure out a certain set.  Penalty kill, should be about the same but it'll be interesting to see if Green will go with some younger faces in that group.  I think from the tape I've watched of Podkholzin, and watching Hoglander last season, that those two could make an impact and would be intriguing to watch and provide some offensive pushback in terms of short handed goals, of which Motte and Sutter are already really under-rated.

In goal, well, Demko should be primed to go, and Halak has proven, that he still has some left in the tank.  It'll be about the defensive structure Green, Baumgartner and Shaw work to maximize their strengths while minimizing being in a shooting gallery.

Is this team a contender...no.  They aren't built in such a way as to overwhelm you in any specific area.  The goals will sometimes be pretty, but more than likely will be off the rush and some will be gritty.  Our top line can run with the tops in the league, and our 2nd, freed from defensive expectations will be able to be a really good counter  thrust to other teams weaker lines.  But our 3rd, oh our 3rd, that could be where the money is.  IF, if Pods doesn't struggle, and those 3 get chemistry, watch out.  And our 4th is ...well, meh.  But it should do the job, right?  And it is only 3 million all together.  Hell, that is one Beagle!

I think we'll surprise some teams, and if we play it right, can get the points we need in the first half to support us as teams catch on to what we are in the 2nd.  Then when it hits the playoffs, it's a whole new ball game.

• Burr 1

Instead of loading up one line, I'd like them to roll out 3 scoring lines and 1 energy defense line. 

Dickinson EP Boeser

Pearson Bo Garland 

Hogz Miller Podz

Motte Sutter Highmore

Gadj BigMac

And reunite Lotto line once in awhile if we are down in some games.

OEL Poolman

Huggy Ham

OJ Myers

Schenn

Demko

Halak

• Like 1

Alright.. safe to say our top 9 forward group is pretty much set barring any signficant acquisitions and assuming of course Podkolzin can slot right in!

I'm more interested in the 4th line and the extras... 

Motte - Sutter - MacEwen < this should give us good enough speed, size and grit!! But it's a big IF for MacEwen to bounce back and be consistent!

I believe the 2 extra spots should go to Di Giuseppe (gritty winger) and Petan (centre with great hands) - both guys got decent NHL experience

I think Highmore and Gadjovich can use more time developing their game in the AHL... and ideally if JB somehow got $1-2M in cap space, I'd really wanna see Eric Staal join us... his team is still growing and can use some veteran leadership!!

Anyone keen to start a training camp thread soon? Or too early?

I read 23rd Sep. Is that right?

Looking forward to seeing who pushes for a spot. Exciting times!

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Garland 

Hoglander - Dickinson - Motte

MacEwen - Sutter - Podkolzin

Gadjovich

Highmore

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Poolman

Schenn

Juolevi

Demko

Halak

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Garland 

Hoglander - Dickinson - Motte

MacEwen - Sutter - Podkolzin

Gadjovich

Highmore

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Poolman

Schenn

Juolevi

Demko

Halak

Best projection so far!! Green might consider putting Miller on 3C will offer us 3 scoring lines too... And Sutter can always be RW on a line with Dickinson, that's one hell of a shutdown line!! 

As for extra forwards, Highmore could give us more value if he can fill in as C too... Versatility will go a long way in training camp battles... Don't rule out Sheldon Dries... This little firecracker reminds me of Matt Cooke a lot! 

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Best projection so far!! Green might consider putting Miller on 3C will offer us 3 scoring lines too... And Sutter can always be RW on a line with Dickinson, that's one hell of a shutdown line!! 

As for extra forwards, Highmore could give us more value if he can fill in as C too... Versatility will go a long way in training camp battles... Don't rule out Sheldon Dries... This little firecracker reminds me of Matt Cooke a lot! 

Fourth line needs some Zack attack. 

11 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Agreed with this.   

While there are many folks on Canucks twitter that have their eyebrows raised over playing Miller at Center (since we have Dickinson), it could actually be a really good idea.......especially if Podkolzin's offensive game is further along than originally projected.   

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin is a decent 3rd line, but isn't necessarily a lock to consistently produce.   Pearson-Miller-Podkolzin however could be a whole different animal.   Then, if you put Dickinson with Pettersson and Boeser, Dickinson would still do a lot of the things that Miller was doing (i.e. providing the defensive and grittiness conscience while not being an offensive black hole)

Dickinson-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Miller-Podkolzin (or, just go with Hoglander-Miller-Boeser here as we did post Petey injury this past season)

Motte-Sutter-Highmore