The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Prolly been said already, but in case...If Schmidt didn't like Vancouver, most certainly he isn't going to like Winnipeg.  I'm from Winnipeg and the best thing about Winnipeg was leaving.

If it was a team culture thing, which seems very important to Schmidt based on his interviews, Winnipeg might be a better fit for him than Vancouver. Our team culture is more of the quiet/Sedin-ish/"nice guys" type and Schimdt would likely thrive in a more boisterous dressing room.

4 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Prolly been said already, but in case...If Schmidt didn't like Vancouver, most certainly he isn't going to like Winnipeg.  I'm from Winnipeg and the best thing about Winnipeg was leaving.

My son had to live there for 2 years after my divorce. He still hates Winnipeg. You should have seen his face when I picked him up from the airport. :angry:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Wrong. He stays unless JB gets an offer he can’t refuse and he should have refused this one. Like I said I would only be ok with it if we got another legitimate top 4 D as a replacement…..otherwise all the moves this off season will be meaningless. 

It's not "wrong", it's simply a different point of view...

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Can't say you're wrong.

He's been traded at full cap for a 3rd twice now.

But again, this is a guy that can perform like a #2/3 if he finds his form.

Unless Benning has an impact player lined up somehow to replace him, it just makes a lot more sense to keep him and hope he bounces back.

OEL - Schmidt would be an incredible pairing if they both find their stride. 

Eh this trade is essentially a wash. What matters is what JB does with the blueline this off-season. Two solid RDs + Schenn would be nice but that might take getting Petey/Hughes done first, preferably on bridges for that to happen.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This just gives us the flexibility to re-sign Petey and Quinn, sign Schenn and give Hamonic a proper offer.  Once that is done D is set:

Ekman-Larsson Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Joulevi Schenn

Rathbone Bowey

Me like. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Yeah I am a Benning supporter but was not a fan of the whole "we will match any offer sheet" comment

Petey be like 

SGEM Xtra: Money, Money, Money It's A Rich Man's World – In the House of  Medicine | The Skeptics Guide to Emergency Medicine

I've been very happy with the off-season so far... Except for that comment. I was speechless for a solid 10 seconds before the raised voice "WHY! WHY SAY THIS!?"<_<

Just now, Provost said:

This is a “win” in some people’s eyes… not sure how it is better than a wash or downgrade.

Last year there was no money in the whole league and Vegas was in dire straits.  Folks crowed over Benning getting the player for just a 3rd (when the rest of the league wouldn’t take him without Vegas retaining salary).

Now the same people are growing over Benning’s genius of managing to salvage a 3rd round pick and the cap space back even though we aren’t in a cap crunch and money is easier to move around the league.

My slight hope on the Arizona deal is turning into dread about what the next few days are going to look like.  We can’t sign free agents without exposing ourselves to offer sheets on the RFAs we need to sign…. What good is extra cap space right now?  At this point wait until the losers on upgrading D through free agency need a plan B and look to Schmidt.

At the end of the day, we want a good, well balanced team.  We want skill, grit, offense, defense, goaltending.  Who really cares what we give up or don't as long as the end result is a better team.  Schmidt was picked up because he could play the right side.  It didn't go well and he didn't fit.  He wanted out.  We now have OEL and Rathbone who weren't in the picture when we got Schmidt.  We have 4 right side D who are puck movers.  Schmidt was not a solution on the right and cost too much. Now he is gone and we have cleared up 5.95 mill for 4 years with a NTC and we have our 3rd back.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Not that I think he'd come here but with 26 mil cap and 3.5 ltir we could even think of bidding on Hamilton.  Not really what we need, but the point is we can add pretty freely now.

Actually is what we need. JB going for it this year. We are breaking the draft bank to get here. Might as well go all the way and get the number one free agent.