The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

Just now, Rush17 said:

Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One Chicago

On Jim Benning being nimble, quick on his feet and flexible. That is refreshing. Take it as a loss and move on.

Zero ego this offseason moving on from moves made last offseason.  Yeah I wish he the pro scouting was better at times but JB can sure get things done.

No point in dwelling on the past - very interested to see who slots into the top 4 RHD.

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good to clear the cap. But how is Schmidt only worth a third and Dillon two seconds? Schmidt is worth at least a second. But alas, the market is what the market is. 

because benning wanted to get rid of schmidt more badly than any team wanted to acquire him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

If the guy wants out, you don't bring them back in. It is not good for the room and how motivated would the player would play for the team? 

My point is that we should have gotten a better return. People complain about constant negative posters and their anti Benning agendas. I think it should be okay to criticize a move sometimes. I expected a better return for a player of his calibre regardless of what we paid to acquire him.

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Jim's a real Jekyll and Hyde GM. When he's good, he's on point, otherwise, its the 2020 offseason.

We need to see the Jekyll Jim Benning more

Yes, I think he’s also changing his legal name to Jim Daniel Henrik Benning ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Actually is what we need. JB going for it this year. We are breaking the draft bank to get here. Might as well go all the way and get the number one free agent.

It would be entertaining, no doubt, but I'd rather see some physical, stay at home types on the right side given the 4 puck movers we have on the left.  But at the rate Benning has been wheeling and dealing, all kinds of adjustments could happen, so yeah, bring it on!

Like that it appears JB has become Decisive.

In the past, appears he was getting strung along by half-azzed & manipulative, disingenuous, counterpart GM's. Now it's either, "Move on this buddy, or we'll do it by OTHER means!" This assertivenes is a marked change.

Without looking too deeply, assume it indicates the org now believes our youth are ripe enough/ready to rock'n'roll. Let's trim away the fat, & then toss these youngins' into the deep end(sans water-wings). Gettin' exciting here folks...

All things being equal if Schmidt was a true right side D he probably stays. But with OEL and Hughes we don't really need the 6 million dollar lefty. Bring on Hamonic now and it looks good back there. Actually best D since 2011 imho. 

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

The whole team sucked last year - you know COVID and all - Travis was a steadying influence for Luke IMHO

Oh the team sucked because of covid eh.  Not like the rest of the NHL had the same thing to deal with.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This just gives us the flexibility to re-sign Petey and Quinn, sign Schenn and give Hamonic a proper offer.  Once that is done D is set:

Ekman-Larsson Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Joulevi Schenn

Rathbone Bowey

That does seem to be what the D is shaping up to be… though we are still in tough to sign two of those players just to get to a subpar defence.

I know you can’t fix a team overnight, but we sure have a long way to go as it stands.

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

My point is that we should have gotten a better return. People complain about constant negative posters and their anti Benning agendas. I think it should be okay to criticize a move sometimes. I expected a better return for a player of his calibre regardless of what we paid to acquire him.

While I can understand the frustration, keep in mind that not every trade is about getting face value. In this case there's a lot more at stake such as cap space, needing to sign Pettersson, Hughes, etc. Perhaps if things went your way, this trade doesn't get done at all and we lose Pettersson. That IS a possibility here.

• Cheers 1

Let's  see...

EP - $7M x 4yr bridge

QH - $6M x 3yr bridge

Hamonic - $2M x 3yr

Schenn - $1M x 2yr

Dickinson - $2.25 x 3yr

OJ - $1M x 2yr

Halak - $2M x 1yr

------

Total = $21.5M 

Approx $9M left to get a RHD or other.  Maybe less if EP and QH get a bigger salary for a long term contract. 

• Thanks 1