The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

14 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Prolly been said already, but in case...If Schmidt didn't like Vancouver, most certainly he isn't going to like Winnipeg.  I'm from Winnipeg and the best thing about Winnipeg was leaving.

He didn't fit into the locker room. Wasn't getting PP toi as Quinn got most of PP, sometimes the whole 2 mins.

Holtby had to tell Schmidt to tone it down a bit mid season.. this according to SN650 a month or so ago...

All we have to do is finish higher than Wpg next year - and we pulled off (perhaps the most protracted/complicated) future trade up of a few spots in a round of the draft, perhaps ever - while getting Schmidt for 'free' lol.

Either that or we finish behind them, and paid some spots in the 3rd round to 'rent' him for a year.

Whatever.  

The guy is worth more than a 3rd round pick - in terms of on-ice performance - but for whatever reason(s), GMs have other reasons for balking at his market value - I don't really care as long as he's replaced with someone that is as able to help this team win games.

A heavier, harder RHD, please (ideally, more likeable - not vital, but it's 'nice' to be able to 'like' the guys on your team).

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol.

If he disliked being in Vancouver, he's gonna hate being in Winnipeg even more

From a hockey perspective he may be a better fit there.

Happy we moved on though.

Just want a Pettersson signing now!

Nobody actually knows FOR SURE if he wanted out or not. Maybe he did Jim a favour as he was trying to move him.

THINK ABOUT IT

He waived to goto Winnipeg… Winnipeg! 

Was it so horrible in Vancouver. Doubt it 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is a “win” in some people’s eyes… not sure how it is better than a wash or downgrade.

Last year there was no money in the whole league and Vegas was in dire straits.  Folks crowed over Benning getting the player for just a 3rd (when the rest of the league wouldn’t take him without Vegas retaining salary).

Now the same people are growing over Benning’s genius of managing to salvage a 3rd round pick and the cap space back even though we aren’t in a cap crunch and money is easier to move around the league.

My slight hope on the Arizona deal is turning into dread about what the next few days are going to look like.  

We can’t sign free agents without exposing ourselves to offer sheets on the RFAs we need to sign…. What good is extra cap space right now when we don’t know what our salary structure is going to be?

At this point wait until the losers on upgrading D through free agency need a plan B and look to Schmidt.

Or, find yourself without a trading partner because of musical chairs being filled up with other UFA Dmen and no one left with cap room to fit him in.  Now you’re in a position whereby you have to retain salary AND work around Schmidt’s NTC veto rights…

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

My point is that we should have gotten a better return. People complain about constant negative posters and their anti Benning agendas. I think it should be okay to criticize a move sometimes. I expected a better return for a player of his calibre regardless of what we paid to acquire him.

I agree, but I think the market is just a weird one with the future flat cap. 

what a way for schmidt to endear himself to winnipeg fans, too. refusing multiple times to go there, and then finally giving in as a last resort after having to be convinced by a former teammate. 

it's sure gonna sound genuine when he says at his welcoming press conference "golly gee, I'm just so excited to be here!"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Nobody actually knows FOR SURE if he wanted out or not. Maybe he did Jim a favour as he was trying to move him.

THINK ABOUT IT

He waived to goto Winnipeg… Winnipeg! 

Was it so horrible in Vancouver. Doubt it 

Good take. I lean toward this as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

While I can understand the frustration, keep in mind that not every trade is about getting face value. In this case there's a lot more at stake such as cap space, needing to sign Pettersson, Hughes, etc. Perhaps if things went your way, this trade doesn't get done at all and we lose Pettersson. That IS a possibility here.

I get the reasoning, I don't like the return.

Not crazy about this, I thought Schmidt was pretty good & can play the right side. Was hoping we'd get better value if we did move off him. Now we need 2 right side D.

But we get important cap flexibility & atleast it's not a loss valuewise.

Now bring Hamonic back, but who else? Rest of the UFA market isn't looking great.

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Like that it appears JB has become Decisive.

In the past, appears he was getting strung along by half-azzed & manipulative, disingenuous, counterpart GM's. Now it's either, "Move on this buddy, or we'll do it by OTHER means!" This assertivenes is a marked change.

Without looking too deeply, assume it indicates the org now believes our youth are ripe enough/ready to rock'n'roll. Let's trim away the fat, & then toss these youngins' into the deep end(sans water-wings). Gettin' exciting here folks...

He's been decisive in the past, but just in the wrong way (Sutter, his UFA free agent signings, trading away picks for immediate help, not caring about cap space before 2020)

With the OEL trade though, I daresay he's starting to show that acumen and nuance when it comes to balancing the needs of the present and future. It was an impossible bullseye to hit in both cleaning up his past contract mistakes and improving the team. But that was as good as he did. I think it'll define his tenure more than the Miller trade.

Again though long term wise, I still question whether he's setting us up to be the next Minnesota Wild, or the next Avalanche. Both are playoff teams historically, but one is a contender. Guess we'll just have to see. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Yeah I am a Benning supporter but was not a fan of the whole "we will match any offer sheet" comment

Petey be like 

SGEM Xtra: Money, Money, Money It's A Rich Man's World – In the House of  Medicine | The Skeptics Guide to Emergency Medicine

Of course he's going to say that. Letting other GMs know he will match so no point burning bridges.. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I kinda liked him.  He was easily one of our best dmen all year, even though he had an off year.  
We are pretty well out of good tradable assets, so Jim is really banking of free agency to rebuild that defensive line up

I actually didn't mind him and his character, but perhaps he felt his character ( like a clown) wasn't the right fit in the dressing room.

3 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol.

If he disliked being in Vancouver, he's gonna hate being in Winnipeg even more

It's pretty fricken' far from Vegas, and about 40 degrees colder during winter.  My guess is he won't be there long.  This was a great trade for Benning, he's killing it this year. Said he would be aggressive and he has been. Canucks are a playoff team next year.