The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

This was inevitable given the team cant possibly afford 4 x 6 million+ defensemen with none of them being of the shut down variety.  3 x 6million+ defensemen is more palatable especially without having a legit #1 dman that can play all situations.  Hopefully we can find some value contracts now on the D, goaltending and Forward to fill out the rest of the roster.

3 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Prolly got tired of the fire drill led by Baumer on D and told him the D system of his was amateur level and Baumer got all mad.

Heard Schmidt has a weak drop pass and refused to work on it.

• Haha 2

Do we really want Savard?  He's coming from winning a Cup in Tampa - so he'll be looking to get paid. And he'll be 31 in the fall. Sure he's big, but so is Gudbranson.

I'd prefer if they signed Montour and Hamonic, Halak as a backup, and maybe Khaira to complete the Bottom 6.

Canucks could be better next season than some think. Conor Garland is going to get Bo going, and who knows what impact Podkolzin will have. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, it’s kind of funny.

I didn’t want Schmidt or Holtby. 
None of them was needed and it seems Benning agree with me now. 

The real question is: does he agree with you on Dahlen? Dahlen wasn't NHL ready at the time of the trade... And several years later, he's got one more try at this.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do we really want Savard?  He's coming from winning a Cup in Tampa - so he'll be looking to get paid. And he'll be 31 in the fall. Sure he's big, but so is Gudbranson.

I'd prefer if they signed Montour and Hamonic, Halak as a backup, and maybe Khaira to complete the Bottom 6.

Canucks could be better next season than some think. Conor Garland is going to get Bo going, and who knows what impact Podkolzin will have. 

Supposedly he’s keen on Montreal. 

Just now, PositionOfPower said:

And we got rid of the deadweight Eriksson Beagle Roussell Virtanen Edler Sutter which is soo soo refreshing. We will finally have a new team new voice new energy much faster team for once. Without these guys gone we would be repeating the same pattern as previous seasons over and over again. Remember insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I still like Sutter at 1.5 mil as 4C. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

In a flat cap era? Really? 

He's a good player. Transitions the puck very well and he's quick to the puck. He is versatile and can play both sides.

I think he will fit well with the Jets. We don't have any reason to help out the Jets, they have a better team than us.

3rd round pick seems a bit cheap. Vegas only traded him at that cost because of his M-NTC + COVID cap crunch and needing to urgently shed cap to get Pietrangel).

I thought we actually have some cap space now to be more patient and work on a better deal.

The only way this makes sense is if Petey and QH are signing longer and larger deals than anticipated and/or we have a UFA target.

Edited by khay

30 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Don't forget the 6 million in FA.  Nobody suggested Schenn is an upgrade, he has nothing to do with Schmidt being traded.

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that last sentence is pretty daft, though

Schenn - at a fraction of Schmidt's cap hit - would not be his 'replacement' (if he signs here).

Let's just see what actually becomes of that cap space before blowing head gaskets or getting too dramatic about it.

Schenn is the only dman we are currently linked to.  That’s what I’m referring to. 

Im sure Jim has something planned, but I just don’t see many UFAs that are around Nate’s talent. 
Hopefully we can get 1-2 good free agents to fill in the right side tomorrow 

• Cheers 1