The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

2 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

And we got rid of the deadweight Eriksson Beagle Roussell Virtanen Edler Sutter which is soo soo refreshing. We will finally have a new team new voice new energy much faster team for once. Without these guys gone we would be repeating the same pattern as previous seasons over and over again. Remember insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You might say Benning has a position of power....

• Haha 1

The Canucks make it official:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired a third-round pick in the 2022 NHL Entry Draft from the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for defenceman Nate Schmidt.

"We are pleased to regain a third-round pick in next year's draft as we look to continue strengthening our prospect pool," said Benning. "We would like to thank Nate for his contributions to our club and we wish him and his family well."

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-acquire-third-round-pick-in-2022-from-winnipeg-jets/c-325831000

Just now, PositionOfPower said:

Rather go with Gravaoc if we don't get anyone new, Sutter is injury prone slow can't get the puck out which infuriates me all the time.

Alas, Graovac has signed in the KHL. I liked him too tho. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Big no on montour. Guys a liability in his own end 

My concern with Montour is the injuries. He played a full season in 2017, and I guess this year (50 games), but other than that he seems to miss a lot of games. 

5 minutes ago, awalk said:

Why would anyone trade us more than what we paid for him one season ago, when his value dropped. It's actually quite stunning that Jimbo was able to come out of this one even-steven... 

Why did his value drop? He still seemed like a good player to me. The team sucked but the individual player didn't get worse. 

Vegas had to trade him. He had a M-NTC and there was a serious cap crunch due to COVID, shrinking the market even more. We were probably the only team that could accommodate him that was not on his M-NTC.

Not going to complain about the trade too much since yes, the cap space is valuable and we are probably bringing in a player that fits the team/system better, that's all that matters.

9 minutes ago, awalk said:

Why would anyone trade us more than what we paid for him one season ago, when his value dropped. It's actually quite stunning that Jimbo was able to come out of this one even-steven... 

GM JB has a good rep around the league. Winnipeg comes out looking like a winner, JB saves face.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

He is fast and can get the puck out easily but injuries can be a concern

Yea agreed. I actually quite like him and he has been doing the shutdown role, just the injuries that are a concern. We should probably get someone more durable, as they're likely going to be Hughes' partner and we'll be needing them all season long. 

1 minute ago, khay said:

Why did his value drop? He still seemed like a good player to me. The team sucked but the individual player didn't get worse. 

Vegas had to trade him. He had a M-NTC and there was a serious cap crunch due to COVID, shrinking the market even more. We were probably the only team that could accommodate him that was not on his M-NTC.

Not going to complain about the trade too much since yes, the cap space is valuable and we are probably bringing in a player that fits the team/system better, that's all that matters.

He still had that NTC. He actually went to a team that was on his no trade list, which tells me the market for him wasn’t great. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, khay said:

He's a good player. Transitions the puck very well and he's quick to the puck. He is versatile and can play both sides.

I think he will fit well with the Jets. We don't have any reason to help out the Jets, they have a better team than us.

3rd round pick seems a bit cheap. Vegas only traded him at that cost because of his M-NTC + COVID cap crunch and needing to urgently shed cap to get Pietrangel).

I thought we actually have some cap space now to be more patient and work on a better deal.

The only way this makes sense is if Petey and QH are signing longer and larger deals than anticipated and/or we have a UFA target.

Who is also making almost $6 million per season. 

Nothing was retained. And we got cap space and a pick out of it. 

Once again it's a flat cap. I'm thinking this is defensive cap space if someone goes nuts on an offer sheet. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1