The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

36 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The real question is: does he agree with you on Dahlen? Dahlen wasn't NHL ready at the time of the trade... And several years later, he's got one more try at this.

I think we agree on Dahlen but I would have solved the problem without burden Petey with it.

Just loan him out to Timrå and no Fuzz. 
we would still have him now if so. 
But the trade seems to be good also so it doesn’t matter much now

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, x00x said:

jets gonna be tough with nate and dillion as def , both very good

Dillon is the type of partner he should thrive with not unlike McNabb.

Fans should expect him to play better there. Both teams win here since we got much needed cap space.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

So to clarify.

Schmidt, nixed a trade earlier to the jets by reports.  But changed his mind.  Evidently the idea of staying in vancouver was literally that unappealing to him that he waived to go to the Jets in the end.

What happened to make him change his mind or hate this city/team so much I wonder?

Someone mentioned an old teammate in Stastny swayed his opinion but could be a rumor.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So to clarify.

Schmidt, nixed a trade earlier to the jets by reports.  But changed his mind.  Evidently the idea of staying in vancouver was literally that unappealing to him that he waived to go to the Jets in the end.

What happened to make him change his mind or hate this city/team so much I wonder?

Probably some of our fanbase and media maybe

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, awalk said:

Someone else posted this `Justin guy tweet.

So...we got what we gave for Schmidt, Jake gave us not much choice.

Holtby, unfortunate we could not move him but what a good job by JB and ownership to put us in a position to lock up EP40

legitimately awesome ....and aggressive

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Wat 2

One aspect of this deal that I am firmly in favour of:

With the addition of OEL - as things were before this deal, it was looking like he'd be the best, if not only option to partner with Hughes.

There was cap and room remaining to add a few lower cost RHD options/depth - but it was in all likelihood a situation where Hughes either fit with OEL, or it was another year with a placeholder (as it was with Hamonic).  Not ideal imo.

Moving Schmidt allows them to focus on what I thought should be the priority this offseason - finding the right partner for Hughes.

They don't necessarily have to chase a big fish (and by big, I mean mid-tier as a guy like Savard is about as expensive as I'd want to go).

Now they can probably realistically chase a Savard, and/or Hakanpaa and still add one of the lower tier/cost guys (Ceci, or Schenn if that's who they prefer).

speaking of Ceci - he had a pretty solid season in Pitt imo.

4 g, 13a, 17 pts, +18, 18:31/game in 53 games.

74 hits, 70 blocks

Near dead even/median 'possession' numbers / 50% ozone starts, 49.5% corsi

Very good goal metrics - 3.2 on ice goals for per 60 5on5, 2.1 against.

.927 on ice sv%

Second leading penalty killer at 2:31/game.

playing primarily with Matheson

for a 1.25 million cap hit.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Jim Benning has been active and making some nice moves this off season.  It has been the best off season in a long time.

He has to be very smart tomorrow with those FA choices. The youth on the team is excellent, it's the vets that need to be secured to make this team better.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Better correct mistakes quickly than magnify them by keeping a bad fit.  See Ballard and Booth for examples.

I was excited when we got Ballard but just like Schmidt he just wasn't a good fit.  Was kinda awkward goofy too!  Very similar kinda guys personality wise.  

• Cheers 2