The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

I wonder if we will see Petey and Hughes signed to long term extensions now. JP Barry used the "Canucks don't have cap space" excuse the last time JB tried to do long term deals. 

Yea gotta love JBs response to Barry opening his trap.

Like “WHATS UP NOW JP! WHO HAS NO CAP SPACE?”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Hands down the best offseason of any team. To create 30 million cap off expandable players and gain two huge pieces in the process is insane!!! Garland is already signed as well with that 30 million still available. 
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! 

LETS GOOOOOOO!

This is the sickest off-season in Canucks history. And I mean sick in a good way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What wrong with that QO? It's only the qualifying offer for one. It's not some guarantee of long term money. He'll get paid what he's worth.

It's also likely in the ballpark of what he'll get paid anyway on a longer term deal that buys UFA years.

Oh no, we have to pay our star sniper what he's worth! :rolleyes:

The silly fretting some people do over it  is hilarious. It's a roughly $2m raise, that is likely to be close to his market value :bored:

Yeah,  all signs pointing to Brock being worth his QO let alone whatever we come to terms with him for.  That’s not really a huge concern.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Hands down the best offseason of any team. To create 30 million cap off expandable players and gain two huge pieces in the process is insane!!! Garland is already signed as well with that 30 million still available. 
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! 

LETS GOOOOOOO!

This is the aggressive big bad Benning that we always wanted that shipped off without mecry Seguin for his behaviour issues

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So to clarify.

Schmidt, nixed a trade earlier to the jets by reports.  But changed his mind.  Evidently the idea of staying in vancouver was literally that unappealing to him that he waived to go to the Jets in the end.

What happened to make him change his mind or hate this city/team so much I wonder?

Locker room chemistry.  It’s pretty obvious.  Holtby glaring at Miller in Toronto after a weakass back check (just one of multiple visible incidents).  JT was really moping around out there at the beginning of the year likely indicates the smoke from the trade request rumours had an actual fire behind it.  It’s pretty clear he didn’t approve of losing Tanev and Toffoli and then there’s the fact that Holtby, Beagle and Schmidt are all good friends from their Cup days.

Friedman’s reporting at the end of the year regarding Miller rescinding any notion of trade request by stating that he wanted to stay also likely indicated there was a clear discussion between his agents and Canucks brass (perhaps even ownership level) and a decision was made to move on from the Capitals Cup leadership trio.  When that stuff leaks out onto the ice in such a blatantly visible way it’s a big problem.

Sure, that’s a lot of reading in between the lines but look at what has actually transpired since:  they’re all gone before free agency even hits and the loss of Toffoli’s offence was replaced by the acquisition of Garland - who’s playing style likely resonates really well with both Miller & Horvat - which rectifies at least one of those offseason mistakes.  Now contrast that with all the public talk/reporting about how tight the team was chemistry-wise during the bubble with Tanev & Toffoli when they took Schmidt’s Golden Knights to a game seven.  

If Arizona hadn’t been so stubborn in their trade demands last year then the Schmidt acquisition never happens but then again we wouldn’t have Garland in that instance so this has actually worked out a little better, IMO, but ymmv.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Silky mitts said:

OEL is not a top pairing dman anymore. That contract is another ugly one . We are banking hard on a resurgence.

And no those signings led to moves such as being unable to retain toffoli, tanev. You know a top 6 player and a great top 4 dman. 

You don't know that, With how thin we are he damn well is at the moment.

And get out of the past bud, We literally have better players in those roles now, overall a deeper more skilled group. Buuut lastt yearrrrr :(

10 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

How do they shed cap then? Two big salaries have to come off and Killorn already killed that in the Seattle expansion draft. It’s a no brainer in my eyes. One forward and one D will have to go to be cap complainant 

I think Tampa would be more willing to ship Johnson off for a pick than they would be to cough up anything significant from their roster. If I'm a GM and my team's window is wide open, I'm doing everything I can to hold on to every significant piece of my two time Stanley Cup winning team that I can. 

Or, considering it's Tampa, I simply wait for a mysteriously well timed injury to hit so I can put someone on LTIR.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think Tampa would be more willing to ship Johnson off for a pick than they would be to cough up anything significant from their roster. If I'm a GM and my team's window is wide open, I'm doing everything I can to hold on to every significant piece of my two time Stanley Cup winning team that I can. 

Or, considering it's Tampa, I simply wait for a mysteriously well timed injury to hit so I can put someone on LTIR.

Getting rid of Johnson alone doesn't fix their cap issues.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No, but it helps, and that's the player being discussed here. I doubt Tampa becomes cap compliant without multiple moves.

It makes more sense for them to use a contract that's decent value, but still unaffordable as the sweetener.