The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

2 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Whatever price is it’ll be cheap for sure now with them taking Johnson contract hurry up Benning get on the phone

Why would acquiring a forward in a trade make the price to acquire the rights to an RFA defenseman cheaper? 

• Hydration 1
Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Why would acquiring a forward in a trade make the price to acquire the rights to an RFA defenseman cheaper? 

Presumably because they'll be even more in need of cap space.

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Cause there now over the cap which guarantees they cannot afford him 

When we traded for Schmidt I was stoked, thought he'd be a real plus for our D...yeah not so much....my feelings on his trade..Meh...we got what we paid and freed up some cap....no big loss

Now what I'm really happy to hear is that it looks like we're bringing back Luke Schenn..know he's jut a role player but feel he'll bring some grit and toughness we badly need like he did when he played bodyguard for Quinn...he was OK defensively too..remember his record for hits in a game.. 

Sorry went off topic

• Hydration 3
28 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Simply said the order of our signings was and is becoming an issue. Offering Pearson an extension with. nTC was not needed during a bogus season! 

lol

I might be wrong, but didn't JB actually get Pearson to take a pay cut in said bogus season?

1 minute ago, Moe Knows said:

When we traded for Schmidt I was stoked, thought he'd be a real plus for our D...yeah not so much....my feelings on his trade..Meh...we got what we paid and freed up some cap....no big loss

Now what I'm really happy to hear is that it looks like we're bringing back Luke Schenn..know he's jut a role player but feel he'll bring some grit and toughness we badly need like he did when he played bodyguard for Quinn...he was OK defensively too..remember his record for hits in a game.. 

Sorry went off topic

Schenn's the ideal 6/7 D for us.  Worked his tail off to get into the lineup after the trade and played some of the best hockey of his career.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

Realistically who’s out there that can help us on D? Lots of options Benning has come up with......

Hamonic, Hakanpaa, Savard, Zadorov.  Schenn as a bottom pairing guy.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Hydration 1
Just now, King Heffy said:

Hamonic, Hakanpaa, Savard, Zadorov.  Schenn as a bottom pairing guy.

I would have no problem with Hamonic he is a warrior

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Says the guy who TRIED TO ARGUE in failure about Gillis' magical GMing abilities, while completely disregarding his failures. Yeah, I remember that. :picard:

You suck.

Try to attack the opinion, not the person.

Also, did Gillis kick your dog or something lol?

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I might be wrong, but didn't JB actually get Pearson to take a pay cut in said bogus season?

$500,000 less, for 3 more years.

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Then, why are all these people out there...not posting here?

You know, on the forum of the actual NHL team.

I don't know, maybe they have lives.

Or they are on other social media platforms. But because none of them fall in line with the narrative here, the general consensus seems to be that it's voodoo.

So again - Trumpian; a very small, passionate group of fans are going to follow their beloved leader no matter what facts or logic tells them and whoever goes against that is either toxic or part of the conspiracy.

If a player wants out, you make it happen. Simple as that. I imagine the timing before free agency, no retention, and ntc affected the return but it had to be done. 

Wierd that schmidt caved after nixing previous trades to wpg though. He must have reaaaally hated his time in Vancouver. 

I half expect him to play three months in wpg and ask for another trade.