The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

OEL is not a top pairing dman anymore. That contract is another ugly one . We are banking hard on a resurgence.

And no those signings led to moves such as being unable to retain toffoli, tanev. You know a top 6 player and a great top 4 dman. 

Tofoli had his moment in the sun until he disappeared when it mattered most in the playoffs for the Habs. 

He was on the fourth line in LA when we picked him up. He racked up some points during the season and then got hurt in the playoffs. A streaky scorer, who may or may not replicate this season’s results next year. 

Tanev had his first injury free season in a long time for the Flames. He may or he may not repeat this in the seasons to come. 

OEL has fallen off a bit playing for a crappy Yotes team. He may or he may not return to his previous form as a top pairing D with the Canucks.

I’m hoping that he does just that. There are no guarantees, just like there are no guarantees that Tanev and/or Tofoli will perform at their highest level.

with the benefit of hindsight we know how things turned out last year. I’m excited to see how things play out this year.

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Just because cap space is available does not mean they are going to be paid above market value. Quinn knows his cap - below heiskanen; EP knows his as well - below Aho by probably 1M.

They also know that only teams with balanced salary structures go far in the playoffs and remain competitive for years.

It was noted after TO got knocked out that the only team left in the playoffs with a player making $10m plus was Montreal, for Carey Price.

I reckon both Pete and Quinn will get Boeser like bridge deals. He was arguably the teams best and most consistent player last year.

Edited by Team Bagues
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

PK Subban to Van for the 3rd rounder they got for Schmidt with 50% salary retained.

PK is a shell of what he once was but can still play top 4 minutes if fit and motivated.

He defininately can turn it up.

Edited by Me_

We signed Holtby to 4.3 M, and buy him out a year later. Then trade for Schmidt, meaning we missed out on a chance to re-sign 2 of Toffoli Tanev, or Stecher. And then sign Virtanen and buy him out a year later. One bad move after another: Linden Vey, Loui Eriksson, Sam Gagner, Erik Gubranson, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, and then Michael Ferland. We got lucky, and WPG took schmidt from us for a 3rd. But man, if they didn't, talk about a dumpster fire. Outside the draft, Jim Benning has been terrible

Edited by Sergei Shirokov
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1
Just now, Sergei Shirokov said:

We signed Holtby to 4.3 M, and buy him out a year later. Then trade for Schmidt, meaning we missed out on a chance to re-sign 2 of Toffoli Tanev, or Stecher. And then sign Virtanen and buy him out a year later. One bad move after another: Linden Vey, Loui Eriksson, Sam Gagner, Erik Gubranson, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, and the Michael Ferland. We got lucky, and WPG took schmidt from us for a 3rd. But man, if they didn't, talk about a dumpster fire. Outside the draft, Jim Benning has been terrible

:bored:

For those that don't know, Gillis has been out of hockey since he left. No one would hire him. But I think he’s in the front office just recently. Not sure what his job is but I think he gets a parking spot and washroom key. 

Gillis update. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I like it, as long as we get a good shutdown guy for Hughes.

The Canucks are not getting Dougie Hamilton or David Savard so Benning has to get creative to land a d man who can play top 4 minutes.

The pickings are very slim right now.

Who are the other options in free agency Kevan Miller and Jani Hakanpaa?

I think Benning should stick to his guns and make another big move like he has been doing this week. Try to avoid free agency unless it's for a backup goalie or 4C to fill out the fourth line.

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Subban

Rathbone-Schenn

Juolevi

Upgrade from last year and just as good if not better than when they had Tanev and Stecher in the fold 2 years ago.

27 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

I was worried about our D before this, and I'm still worried.

Looking forward to bringing in a couple guys who can actually play D - something we've been lacking for a long time.

94' Canucks had a couple puck movers, and the rest were pretty much guys who could punch you in the face and block a shot with his forehead.

Different game, along time ago - but if you look at Tampa's D - pretty similar.

Although it would have been entertaining to see Miller ram Nate's face through a locker room stall, I'm happy to see the annoying little twerp gone. I'm sure the entire Canucks team is happy to have him gone - more addition by subtraction.

Good work Jim. Now please don't sign Hamilton.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

No thanks. Do they really want a player who blocked a trade to Vancouver before. Ffmm.

In fairness the team was at their absolute lowest around that time. Guddy turned into Pearson anyways so, I could forgive.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's possible. Considering where the team was when we originally inquired and where it is now, we're probably not quite the instablock we were. 

Maybe a 1 year option, similar to Hamonic, that allows us to maintain flexibility for next offseason. (Parayko)

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Lol im podgoalzin in that tweet haha

Nice! Way to elicit the response!! Lol

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

The Canucks are not getting Dougie Hamilton or David Savard so Benning has to get creative to land a d man who can play top 4 minutes.

The pickings are very slim right now.

Who are the other options in free agency Kevan Miller and Jani Hakanpaa?

I think Benning should stick to his guns and make another big move like he has been doing this week. Try to avoid free agency unless it's for a backup goalie or 4C to fill out the fourth line.

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Subban

Rathbone-Schenn

Juolevi

Upgrade from last year and just as good if not better than when they had Tanev and Stecher in the fold 2 years ago.

Hakanpaa would be nice, with Schenn as a 7th guy.  Hughes-Subban would give the coaches heart attacks.

OEL-Subban

Hughes-Hakanpaa

OJ-Myers

Schenn

Call up Rathbone once injuries hit.

• Vintage 1
4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hakanpaa would be nice, with Schenn as a 7th guy.  Hughes-Subban would give the coaches heart attacks.

OEL-Subban

Hughes-Hakanpaa

OJ-Myers

Schenn

Call up Rathbone once injuries hit.

Please no

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

Please no

What ones he have left one year? I mean retention and assets back? 

A good ol’ No return trade hah

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If it's because he wanted to go to a competitive team, hell yeah.

Good point. It's why I understood why Kesler wanted out.