The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

11 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

The Canucks are not getting Dougie Hamilton or David Savard so Benning has to get creative to land a d man who can play top 4 minutes.

The pickings are very slim right now.

Who are the other options in free agency Kevan Miller and Jani Hakanpaa?

I think Benning should stick to his guns and make another big move like he has been doing this week. Try to avoid free agency unless it's for a backup goalie or 4C to fill out the fourth line.

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Subban

Rathbone-Schenn

Juolevi

Upgrade from last year and just as good if not better than when they had Tanev and Stecher in the fold 2 years ago.

Is Ryan Murray out of reach? 

Wouldn't he slot in to top 4? 

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

But he is a lefty and doesn't play a physical game last I checked..

Unless the Canucks plan is to move Hughes to the right side.

We need a lefty and a couple righties now :P

3 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Vancouver Canucks
PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $55,410,659
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $26,089,341
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $26,089,341
TODAYS CAP HIT Tooltip : $55,410,659
ROSTER SIZE: 13
CONTRACTS: 23/50
RESERVE LIST: 43/90

Up to just over 26$ million now, really wish we waited to resign Pearson and we’d have tons of space for Petey, Hughes, and all the filler.

So Ferland is good to go for next year?

31 minutes ago, BPA said:

Are you sure about that?

I thought Tanev took Calgary offer first.  Then we got Schmidt a few days later.  

31 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Doesn't it all depend of what you think of the OEL trade then? Assuming Benning doesn't run out of time on OEL, chances are the return for him ends up being worse than what we paid this time around. If he gives up on OEL early and resigns Tanev this time around, maybe we don't pull the trigger on OEL and Garland. 

Regardless, Schmidt was merely brought in to replace Tanev anyways, so it seems to me that your ire should be directed at the OEL attempt last year resulting in us losing Tanev and not at the Schmidt trade itself. We needed a replacement.

Schmidt was plan B for Benning. Unless you think that trade came together only after Benning moved on from OEL.

Which is possible, I guess, although that would say a lot about the lack of planning on Benning's part.

I have no problem with the Schmidt trade, it was Benning's best and it'll never be topped. Just hilarious how the narrative has changed on it one year later.

Edited by kanucks25

7 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You know this how?

Because the Canucks operate in a salary cap world and choosing to commit money to Virtanen left them without sufficient funds to bring back Toffoli.

• Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You know this how?

I think it's reasonable to assume Virtanen's signing had at least some effect on our ability to sign Toffoli.

That said, it was also reasonable to prefer Virtanen at his age and cap hit at the time of the contract signing to Toffoli, considering his age and probable cap hit.

44 points in 68 games for Toffoli

39 points in 69 games for Virtanen.

With the gift of hindsight it was a mistake, but at the time it was totally reasonable, considering their production was pretty similar, Virtanen was quite a bit younger, and a lot cheaper.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Devron44 said:

I actually think he might be gone. I’d be surprised at this point if he came back 

I thought that after OEL, but with NS gone I think there's a decent chance he could be back.  It's his team, his home...........I can'timagine if a number comes in the nbeighborhood of what he's asking, he'd do it.

• Cheers 1