The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Being a celebrity got to this head. Hes done now.

Decent entertainer and could help grow the brand of hockey in the States though. Also good guy gave millions to charity.

He'll defs have a career after hockey.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Subban obviously he has got an ESPN broadcasting gig coming to him. It's time for him to take a backseat to the young stud and be the reliable veteran d partner.

Yep, and Barrie's suddenly going to learn how to play acceptable defense in Edmonton.  Subban is who he is at this point.

3 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

For sure, but what a different era. Would Tanti be putting up multiple 40 goal seasons now?

Would make for an interesting panel discussion.  The game is so much faster now, fewer picks (unless in playoffs), better equipment, and much more efficient goalkeeping.  For example, I wonder how many goals Rick Vaive would score nowadays coming down the right boards and ripping the slapper from just across the red line.   Heard it said often now, if the goalie can see it, he will stop it.

But snipers' talents shine in any era I think.  Kurri's one timers from Gretzky, and Ovi's from Backstrom would still be effective in each others eras.  So I think Tanti would get his share, but maybe not 40

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Subban with Hughes?  Whos going to play defense?

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yep, and Barrie's suddenly going to learn how to play acceptable defense in Edmonton.  Subban is who he is at this point.

I fail to see all the great alternatives who are realistic targets for the Canucks that everyone is naming out there in free agency...

It's gotta be a trade. Nobody is giving away a top 4 minute playing d man who doesn't have some kind of baggage. Whether it is age or cap hit, injury issues, attitude issues or a regression in overall play.

The reason guys become available for trade is because a team no longer values them enough to keep them or justify their contract if they can upgrade.

As hard as it is to find good top 6 forwards it's harder for quality centers and 2 food for top 4 d men.

3 minutes ago, Nucks780 said:

Was always hoping the rumors were false but where there's smoke theres fire. Goodbye Nate. You shall get boooo'd when you come back to play at Rogers arena. 

Unrelated, but I like the respect you pay with your sig.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I fail to see all the great alternatives who are realistic targets for the Canucks that everyone is naming out there in free agency...

It's gotta be a trade. Nobody is giving away a top 4 minute playing d man who doesn't have some kind of baggage. Whether it is age or cap hit, injury issues, attitude issues or a regression in overall play.

The reason guys become available for trade is because a team no longer values them enough to keep them or justify their contract if they can upgrade.

As hard as it is to find good top 6 forwards it's harder for quality centers and 2 food for top 4 d men.

I think Subban can still be effective, but not paired with Hughes.

23 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Except that the team was still plummeting downward after the Toffoli trade, indicating that he wasn't taking the pressure off of Miller and Boeser at all. Toffoli himself played well during that stretch, yes, but his production had very little impact on the team as a whole. 

And the point still stands that Virtanen nearly equaled Toffoli's production during their contract years. Taking that production into consideration, it made more sense to invest in the younger player at a reduced rate than the older player at nearly double the cap hit.

For the record, I was very vocally against the Toffoli trade in the first place. Considering the negligible effect he had on the Canucks as a whole, we would have been much better off holding onto Madden and our 2nd. And I do have the receipts to back that up, in case you wanted to accuse me of blind homerism.

First off, Ive had a few beers… but I love your take on the Toffoli trade.

However…. Our team was heading towards playoffs…. Our record with Toffoli down the stretch was the only subpar part about that season. We were playing well and winning before adding Toffoli… we were sub .500 after acquiring him… however…JB did what every.. single… other GM does when heading into the playoffs… improve the roster… So Benning did just that.. he moved out zero guarantees and acquired a legit top 6 NHL calibre player who has won a cup. 
I think we can all agree that we would be absolutely f***ing pi$$ed if Benning made no attempts to improve the roster or failed to add anyone at the deadline and then we missed or had a 1st round exit.

My thoughts on the whole re-signing Toffoli was an absolute no. In the short term it might have made us a decent team… but in the long run, re-signing Toffoli…… would be another reason for Canuck “fans” to get out the torches and pitchforks.

and just to touch on the Toffoli production subject… his season with Montreal was a very.. very lucky one. He had countless lucky bounces and back door tap-ins. Not a single goal was created from speed (which is what made him so good in that ‘70’s show era) he has lost a noticeable step in his game and now on the 30 year old downward spiral, he will likely never gain that step.

Im glad we never re-signed him, but I will say I am grateful for that 2019-20 playoff run… the Laffs have never seen that much playoff hockey in the last 20 years and we saw 3 rounds in the 2nd year of the post-Sedin era!

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seriously speaking, I still have no idea what we're going to do to shore up that right side. It seems like all of the free agent options are.....not great.

Well let’s not lose any sleep over it,.  
we have 26 million in capspace available in the morning ;) 

… just throwing this out there for anybody,.

but I wonder how Landeskogs 7m x 8 will effect EP40’s contract?

perhaps less money and term? Or?

• Cheers 1