The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

A masterful move for GM Cheveldayoff to get such a high end player for ONLY a 3rd round pick, this guy is a genius    :rolleyes:

I think he missed Vegas and it showed in his play probably didn’t click with a few guys also could be many factors could be cap space we may never know.

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I wonder what goes through Schmidt's head. Clearly his value is a 3rd rounder.... ::D

Tomorrow, it will be the never ending drone of millions,    Of mosquitoes.

father of the bride bugs GIF by Vampire Weekend

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

My point is that we should have gotten a better return. People complain about constant negative posters and their anti Benning agendas. I think it should be okay to criticize a move sometimes. I expected a better return for a player of his calibre regardless of what we paid to acquire him.

I thought we might get more for him too but the reality is that a 3rd with no retention was the best offer. Remember that tomorrow Winnipeg (or whoever else had any interest) could keep that $5.9m x 4yrs in their pocket and go shopping on the free agent market without giving up anything. And yes I agree that it should be fine to criticize a move sometimes, specially when it’s coming from someone whose posts are mainly supportive. We often forget to differentiate between a criticism and endless griping.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Benning’s been habitually flushing away assets - for nothing.

Going all in for the youth movement!  

Get a plan, properly vett the players you bring in & stick with that plan until pay day! 

@JB: I’ll stay tuned in, but, the bag of free passes for mistakes is empty. Your tenure is basically on life support. Do no more harm before you go. 

Edited by viking mama

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I thought we might get more for him too but the reality is that a 3rd with no retention was the best offer. Remember that tomorrow Winnipeg (or whoever else had any interest) could keep that $5.9m x 4yrs in their pocket and go shopping on the free agent market without giving up anything. And yes I agree that it should be fine to criticize a move sometimes, specially when it’s coming from someone whose posts are mainly supportive. We often forget to differentiate between a criticism and endless griping.

I'm also hoping that offloading Schmidt and freeing up capspace will also make another team think twice before offer sheeting Petterson tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm also hoping that offloading Schmidt and freeing up capspace will also make another team think twice before offer sheeting Petterson tomorrow. 

And Montreal needs to be careful. Screw with us and we might just offer sheet Suzuki next year!!

1 hour ago, Nave said:

I personally had faith in Virtanen until he allegedly sexually assaulted a chick. 
It was a mistake to "choose him" over Toffoli, even though I think that's an oversimplification of what happened.
I don't regret the trade for Toffoli because we had a good run in the bubble, and that was great experience for our young group.
Honestly though, I think Garland fits our team better than Toffoli, and Ekman-Larsson fits our team better than Schmidt. 
We'll see what happens. But I'm happy with how things played out.

I like everything you said after the word ‘chick’. I’m in my late 50s but really ‘chick’ are we not past this yet?

5 hours ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

He prolly said "man winnipeg is the s**t come we have more fun guys here than the chill guys in van that don't like your woops, also it's right next to your minnesota state, come leave that amateur d system in van led by former ahler baumer, come trust me were best friends right?! ::D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Benning’s been habitually flushing or giving away assets for nothing.

Going all in for the youth movement & if it doesn’t start working immediately - we’re screwed. 

Yeah. The core of the Canucks still relatively young. It’s probably going to take a few years of making the playoffs before they do any actual damage there. 

Boeser - 24
Petey - 22

Hughes - 21

Horvat  -26

Miller - 28

Garland - 25

Podkolzin - 20

Höglander - 21

Demko - 25

Dickinson - 26

I mean, that’s a young team. The oldest of that bunch listed above is Miller at 28/29 years old. I think they’ll be a competitive team. How competitive and if that’s enough for the team to make the playoffs? Not sure about that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

He prolly said "man winnipeg is the s**t come we have more fun guys here than the chill guys in van that don't like your woops, also it's right next to your minnesota state, come leave that amateur d system in van led by former ahler baumer, come trust me were best friends right?! ::D

Thank you Stasny

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

To be honest I worry about offer sheets about as much as I worry about earthquakes but I agree that it’s still good to have extra  cap space just like it is to have emergency supplies.

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I like everything you said after the word ‘chick’. I’m in my late 50s but really ‘chick’ are we not past this yet?

I guess people my age just use it as a synonym for girl or woman. Don't mean anything negative by it at all.

• Hydration 2

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. The core of the Canucks still relatively young. It’s probably going to take a few years of making the playoffs before they do any actual damage there. 

Boeser - 24
Petey - 22

Hughes - 21

Horvat  -26

Miller - 28

Garland - 25

Podkolzin - 20

Höglander - 21

Demko - 25

Dickinson - 26

I mean, that’s a young team. The oldest of that bunch listed above is Miller at 28/29 years old. I think they’ll be a competitive team. How competitive and if that’s enough for the team to make the playoffs? Not sure about that. 

Haven’t even listed the defense which is young as it stands right now. Rathbone at 20. Juolevi at 22. Hughes at 21. Hamonic if he resigns would be one of the oldest at 30. Schenn also at 31. 

• Hydration 1