The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

It's too bad Schmidt didn't work out. Seemed like a really good guy. And on paper, at least, he should have been a great fit here. But sometimes things just go sideways - I certainly don't blame him for wanting a fresh start after how last season went for the team.

Considering that he had a tough season, was a year older, and was rumored to want out, getting a 3rd back without retaining any or taking money back is not bad at all. I still like the player, and hope he fits in well in Winnipeg. I think they're going to have a great year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

So how is the OEL salary looking now?  

A lot money moved out.  No worries now about an offer sheet.  

Not a second.  But Nate became a seasons rental.  

Cap wise, Hugh’s and Petey are not going anywhere.  

the nearly 10m in cap space freed up by buying out Holtby and then trading Schmidt.  

lots of money to invest in defence. 

Invest, not spend.  

Invest.   Agree on that.   All of JB mistakes wrapped up in a bow and punted out the door.   Need to focus in on guys that fit our age group.   Hamilton maybe isn't a pipe dream as much either.   He's 3 years younger then AP was in his walk year.  Close enough. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

8AF4E672-23D5-4254-B354-763A8A22617B.jpeg

It shows that Jim has a plan. We are all just too dumb to understand it.

Next year he will buy out OEL?

That is how this plan works right?

This called being aggressive!

Edited by appleboy
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

25 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Look at all the Canadian teams. Have any of them figured it out? Canadian markets and owners do not allow their G.M. to take the long road for rebuild. 

If J.B. is the G.M. of an American team, he may be able to just focus on the draft while wasting away seasons and the best years of prospects. 

The more trades and signings you make the more likely some trades and signings turn sour. If you are more passive, your betting percentage may go up. 

It’s not a coincidence that none of the Canadian teams is a legit cup contender.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Its about admitting your mistakes ahead of pride which I give Benning credit for. If it was Gillis he would have held on and not admitting mistakes. Sorry Gillis for making you as a example.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So glad i can watch the canucks now and not think to myself on why schmidt makes 6 mill a year. 

100% agree.  I’m so glad we were able to dump this guy and his contract.  Not a fan of his game.  Thank goodness he’s gone.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, which mediocre RHD will we snag and put into a top pairing spot that they clearly aren't suited for? Only time will tell....

Nah  -  he's going  to sign Hakanpaa, pair him with Juolevi, and that will "Finnish" our rebuild completely

• Haha 3

I'm normally not this pessimistic, but I'm just not seeing many options out there that scream "NOW our defence is complete!". That, coupled with the possibility of a Petey offer sheet has me concerned.

Hoping Benning can pull a rabbit out of the hat and land us someone we're not thinking of.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm normally not this pessimistic, but I'm just not seeing many options out there that scream "NOW our defence is complete!". That, coupled with the possibility of a Petey offer sheet has me concerned.

Hoping Benning can pull a rabbit out of the hat and land us someone we're not thinking of.

Maybe a trade to fill that role?

2 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Look at all the Canadian teams. Have any of them figured it out? Canadian markets and owners do not allow their G.M. to take the long road for rebuild. 

If J.B. is the G.M. of an American team, he may be able to just focus on the draft while wasting away seasons and the best years of prospects. 

The more trades and signings you make the more likely some trades and signings turn sour. If you are more passive, your betting percentage may go up. 

It’s not a coincidence that none of the Canadian teams is a legit cup contender.

Mostly agree cause there really is no guarantee that a player will perform when acquired cause of the human factor: he might not click with the Staff/locker room or etc; and it is hard/nearly impossible motivating a player that is not happy being on the team.