The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That begs the question "What do we have to move?" I kinda don't want to lose anything on the roster other than Pearson or Myers, and we've certainly coughed up enough picks.

Schmidt is clearly awful, and not a player we want around.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Schmidt is clearly awful, and not a player we want around.  

seemed like a good guy to me, but the changes, and maybe coaching, were just not right for him. 

it'll be interesting to see how he does in the 'peg under Maurice tho. If they have friction it won't go well. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

seemed like a good guy to me, but the changes, and maybe coaching, were just not right for him. 

it'll be interesting to see how he does in the 'peg under Maurice tho. If they have friction it won't go well. 

I think Maurice might be more hard a%&ed than Green by far.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm normally not this pessimistic, but I'm just not seeing many options out there that scream "NOW our defence is complete!". That, coupled with the possibility of a Petey offer sheet has me concerned.

Hoping Benning can pull a rabbit out of the hat and land us someone we're not thinking of.

An offer sheet still has to be signed by the player, and in this case EP; if he signs one then he really is not keen on staying as one of the main piece in the young core.  JB and his team has to learn to sell the their vision to these type of players: that they will be willing to stay & sign deals that are team friendly.  It is one thing to acquire a very talented player - keeping it all intact for an extended period of time with cap flexibility is what separates the great GM’s from the rest.   

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I think Maurice might be more hard a%&ed than Green by far.

thats kind of what I was thinking. Supposedly Trotz didn't care for Nate either. Not slamming Nate, I like the person and the player, but maybe he needs someone like Gallant to get the best out of him. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Guy was caught using PEDs.  Maybe that’s why he’s not been very good?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Guy was caught using PEDs.  Maybe that’s why he’s not been very good?  

team stood by him tho. I dunno Alf, I don't blame him for the crappy year he had here, I don't think we used him to his strengths. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

team stood by him tho. I dunno Alf, I don't blame him for the crappy year he had here, I don't think we used him to his strengths. 

PEDs.  Then no PEDs.  Makes a huge difference in performance.  I’m glad this guy and his contract are gone.  He played like ‘Schmidt’ for us.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

PEDs.  Then no PEDs.  Makes a huge difference in performance.  I’m glad this guy and his contract are gone.  He played like ‘Schmidt’ for us.  

I too am happy to see the contract gone. If he does slide downhill from here, its nice that its WPG. Always hate losing to them. 

• Vintage 2

7 hours ago, viking mama said:

I’m also considering the players who departed as FAs.

Edler, Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli, Leivo, Stecher, Virtanen &  no trading deadline fodder. 

This was a year of change for everyone, but at some point continuity, team chemistry & timing win championships.

^Too many flushes & there’s not enough still water left to accomplish these goals. 

I think you’ve stated exactly what has taken place ,.  All of the departed players were redundant to us..  it was time to fine tune, create roster and money space for players we need to keep as they enter their prime.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Even PEDs.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vegas-golden-knights-nate-schmidt-suspension-1.4808271

The guy wasn’t very good with us.  There could be reasons.  

Wait we talked about this before, and when he became a Canuck and we believed him when he said he was innocent.

Now he gets traded out of Vancouver this is a thing now ? 

17 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Still cant believe some of the jokers on this board actually thought this guy was a legit #2 and would help us. 

Hate to say i told you so, but i told you so.

Glad hes gone and i hope he enjoys his winters in the peg.

He's a good #3 and #4 when he has enthusiasm but it's obvious left all his enthusiasm in Vegas 

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

It shows that Jim has a plan. We are all just too dumb to understand it.

It was a good plan. Make some bad moves in the 2020 off season and try to address them the next off season to look like a genius.

He's basically Mysterio in Spider-Man Far From Home. Create you own chaos and fix it to look like a hero

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Mostly agree cause there really is no guarantee that a player will perform when acquired cause of the human factor: he might not click with the Staff/locker room or etc; and it is hard/nearly impossible motivating a player that is not happy being on the team. 

A cost free attempt, not a mistake.

Lets call it a reach or an experience, like he stopped by for a look see.

He did a flyby and a drivethru for a Canuck in and out burger.

Not here long enough for an era more like a period. 

A lingering essence and whooping cries faint reminders of JB's Schmidtsperiment.:unsure: