The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

5 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

A cost free attempt, not a mistake.

Lets call it a reach or an experience, like he stopped by for a look see.

He did a flyby and a drivethru for a Canuck in and out burger.

Not here long enough for an era more like a period. 

A lingering essence and whooping cries faint reminders of JB's Schmidtsperiment.:unsure:

We can only speculate; and good chance, some rumour will come out to the reason(s) why - just a matter of time cause everyone knows a blabber mouth 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

oh come on. Not's not even close to true. 

Which of Toronto's and Edmonton's guys are better other than Muzzin, Brodie, and Nurse?  You couldn't ice 6 NHLers with both groups combined.

Edited by King Heffy

Well, we needed the cap space.  And Nate was not happy here.  So to get back what you paid for him, with him being another year older, after a sub-par year, getting that cap space back, is a success for Jim. 

Looking at the whole Nate Schmidt experience, its a wash.  I would have thought he'd be worth a second. But JB not losing value for a change.  I'll give him credit for that on this one.  

But it makes one wonder why he'd leave.  Obviously its not because he's American and didn't like the Canadian tax rates, going to Winterpeg. Because of COVID, he didn't really get a chance to mesh socially with his new teammates.

Saying that, I wasn't impressed with his demeanour.  No one is that happy.  Even compared to a grump like me.  Too laughy.  Seemed a bit manufactured. He came in and his first interview I remember him saying he liked to be the light-hearted jokester, (not his exact words).  Who would say that before they even get to know the dressing room?  Sorry but I'd rather a new acquisition buckle down and first prove himself on the ice to his teammates before claiming he's going to be the locker room clown.

1 hour ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

For Toronto: Muzzin, Reilly, Brodie, Holl, Dermott. All better, more proven than Juolevi. Juolevi barely made the line up on the worst Canadian Team.

Nurse and Keith are both better than Juolevi. It's not even up for discussion. 

Only Muzzin and Brodie are actual NHLers on Toronto.  The rest would struggle to get ice time in Abbotsford.  Reilly is one of the biggest defensive liabilities in the history of the league.  Keith is ancient, slow, and pretty brutal defensively now.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Only Muzzin and Brodie are actual NHLers on Toronto.  The rest would struggle to get ice time in Abbotsford.  Reilly is one of the biggest defensive liabilities in the history of the league.  Keith is ancient, slow, and pretty brutal defensively now.

Keith would be able to skate miles around Juolevi, even at 38. Calling Reilley a non NHLer when he plays in the NHL on a top team his crazy. Juolevi has hardly managed 1/2 a NHL season and played in an extremely sheltered role. This isn't an intelligent hockey conversation. 

Edited by Sergei Shirokov

Just now, Sergei Shirokov said:

Keith would be able to skate miles around Juolevi. Calling Reilley a non NHLer, when he plays in the NHL he crazy. Juolevi has hardly managed 20 games. This isn't an intelligent hockey conversation. 

Just because Toronto decides it's acceptable to play a defenseman who can't play any defense whatsoever does not mean that Reilly is good enough to play on a legit NHL team instead of that joke of a franchise.  He's absolute trash and I'll miss having that pylon in our division.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Just because Toronto decides it's acceptable to play a defenseman who can't play any defense whatsoever does not mean that Reilly is good enough to play on a legit NHL team instead of that joke of a franchise.  He's absolute trash and I'll miss having that pylon in our division.

Rielly is not even remotely that bad no matter how much hyperbole you post. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Rielly is not even remotely that bad no matter how much hyperbole you post. 

Not exaggerating at all.  We all have different tolerances for defensemen who can't play defense.  My personal standpoint is either play at an NHL level in your own end or sit in the press box until you can.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not exaggerating at all.  We all have different tolerances for defensemen who can't play defense.  My personal standpoint is either play at an NHL level in your own end or sit in the press box until you can.

But he is literally not that bad, that is the point. 

1 minute ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

meanwhile, Juolevi was getting turn styled all day in the AHL. But he's a top four defensemen on Toronto and Edmonton according to Hefty. 

Juolevi is arguably a top 4 player on Edmonton or Toronto, but not at the expense of Rielly. He is #5 at worst on Toronto and 4 at worst on Edmonton. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

While he is nowhere near an elite or solid shutdown dman, to say he is not an NHLer is delusional at best. 

Eh, personally I don't think the way he plays in his own zone even approaches an acceptable standard.  Could it if a coach cracked down and told him that if his defense doesn't improve, he sits?  Hard to know for sure considering he's never been held accountable for playing like trash in his own zone.

23 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

Hmm thought he had already declined to go to the Jets?

Yeah that's what I thought I read as well ..earlier before this.....boy the cost of taking on salary.....only getting a 3rd rounder....a long shot...a diamond in the ruff pick....