The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Mostly agree cause there really is no guarantee that a player will perform when acquired cause of the human factor: he might not click with the Staff/locker room or etc; and it is hard/nearly impossible motivating a player that is not happy being on the team. 

And there ought to be a be a type of clause that says, if it doesn’t work out the first year or two, the player can decide to opt out, either by initiating a trade, talking to other teams, or buying themselves out.

Surely not all overpaid / under performing athlete will sit on their cash and ruin their own career…

Edited by Me_
10 hours ago, appleboy said:

It shows that Jim has a plan. We are all just too dumb to understand it.

Next year he will buy out OEL?

That is how this plan works right?

This called being aggressive!

Your come across as passive aggressive… but your getting the hang of it.

this is a wild off season,  not sure how it all shakes down, but it I think JB is far more concerned about matching any potential offer sheets for Petey.  That is worth more than an upgraded pick like a second for Schmidt whom I thought would garner a second.

16 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Your come across as passive aggressive… but your getting the hang of it.

this is a wild off season,  not sure how it all shakes down, but it I think JB is far more concerned about matching any potential offer sheets for Petey.  That is worth more than an upgraded pick like a second for Schmidt whom I thought would garner a second.

I thought he was worth a first. Last year when they signed him every one on here said he was a top pairing D man.

Lol

8 hours ago, Maddogy said:

"Hey Jim, we are collecting as many Canuck players as possible. Can you send Schmidt our way?"

Jim's response "Give us Tanev back and add in some picks or &^@# off"

6 hours ago, kilgore said:

Well, we needed the cap space.  And Nate was not happy here.  So to get back what you paid for him, with him being another year older, after a sub-par year, getting that cap space back, is a success for Jim. 

Looking at the whole Nate Schmidt experience, its a wash.  I would have thought he'd be worth a second. But JB not losing value for a change.  I'll give him credit for that on this one.  

But it makes one wonder why he'd leave.  Obviously its not because he's American and didn't like the Canadian tax rates, going to Winterpeg. Because of COVID, he didn't really get a chance to mesh socially with his new teammates.

Saying that, I wasn't impressed with his demeanour.  No one is that happy.  Even compared to a grump like me.  Too laughy.  Seemed a bit manufactured. He came in and his first interview I remember him saying he liked to be the light-hearted jokester, (not his exact words).  Who would say that before they even get to know the dressing room?  Sorry but I'd rather a new acquisition buckle down and first prove himself on the ice to his teammates before claiming he's going to be the locker room clown.

I think JT is a big influence in the room. and JT hates, I mean hates losing. I can't see the goofy antics of Schmidt going over well when we were losing. JT is the new Kesler and he will only let the others have fun if you WIN first. Love it.

• Hydration 1

Even if we ignore the fact that Schmidt didn’t wanna be here, we didn’t have the depth or the cap space to have 4 players making 6+ mil.

This allowed us to sign Hamonic, Poolman, and half of Sutters contract. That’s the kind of depth we needed.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Even if we ignore the fact that Schmidt didn’t wanna be here, we didn’t have the depth or the cap space to have 4 players making 6+ mil.

This allowed us to sign Hamonic, Poolman, and half of Sutters contract. That’s the kind of depth we needed.

Having 4 guys making 6 mill didnt sit good with me on our D so i was stoked he traded him to add depth. 

In 3 years myers contract and pearsons will be off the books which opens up almost 10 mill to give petey and quinn their raises(if they sign a bridge)

2 mill each? Still would have close to 6 for a dman and a maybe the cap would have gone up at that time. Woo will probably be fulltime for us also

• Vintage 1
9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not exaggerating at all.  We all have different tolerances for defensemen who can't play defense.  My personal standpoint is either play at an NHL level in your own end or sit in the press box until you can.

Curious, With you saying that about those other players.

Where does Q Hughes stand with you, regarding that comment?

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Curious, With you saying that about those other players.

Where does Q Hughes stand with you, regarding that comment?

I'll reserve judgement until we see how he does under Shaw.

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Having 4 guys making 6 mill didnt sit good with me on our D so i was stoked he traded him to add depth. 

In 3 years myers contract and pearsons will be off the books which opens up almost 10 mill to give petey and quinn their raises(if they sign a bridge)

2 mill each? Still would have close to 6 for a dman and a maybe the cap would have gone up at that time. Woo will probably be fulltime for us also

No ones dumb enough to pay Hughes 10 mil.

With the Canuck history of the #88 in Vancouver,

Any new player should think twice about taking that number!

Tryamkin then Gaudette and then Schmidt

It just doesn't have a good track record

:canucks::picard:

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Haha 1
On 7/28/2021 at 7:17 AM, appleboy said:

It shows that Jim has a plan. We are all just too dumb to understand it.

Next year he will buy out OEL?

That is how this plan works right?

This called being aggressive!

That is one annoying post.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

No ones dumb enough to pay Hughes 10 mil.

Dubass paid Marner, Tavares, and Matthews each 11 million.  

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dubass paid Marner, Tavares, and Matthews each 11 million.  

I wonder what the chance is that Marner never scores 30 goals in a season? 

The thing that will save TOs cap is when Matthews walks for nothing. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder what the chance is that Marner never scores 30 goals? 

Marner and Tavares are two of the worst contracts in the league.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Marner and Tavares are two of the worst contracts in the league.  

they are stuck with them, thats for sure. AM probably walks for nothing as well, just in time to join Arizona's upswing. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:11 PM, appleboy said:

I thought he was worth a first. Last year when they signed him every one on here said he was a top pairing D man.

Lol

Think it is low value for d men atm, plus Schmidt really struggled in Vancouver and the chatter about wanting out dropped his value too.  Rental for a 3rd and sold for a 3rd.  

But 5.9 in cap… that’s not priceless… I have not checked in on the cdc… not sure how JB has spent or plans too spend so, the second act is yet to come.