The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

I wasn't happy about the trade even back when we acquired schmidt. The guy seems to be a bit of a clown "Whoop Whooping" all over the place. When it's game time watch how Pettersson acts. He looks like he's about to destroy the opponent. That's the type of attitude that this team needs more of. JT, BO, Brock and Huggy(destroy offensively) all have the ability to turn the switch as well. Podkolzin has been that guy with Russia too.

• Cheers 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:12 AM, Cat Man said:

A cost free attempt, not a mistake.

Lets call it a reach or an experience, like he stopped by for a look see.

He did a flyby and a drivethru for a Canuck in and out burger.

Not here long enough for an era more like a period. 

A lingering essence and whooping cries faint reminders of JB's Schmidtsperiment.:unsure:

That was Nate Schmidt’s story here.

What about the albatross Loui Ericksson contract, where arguably no other NHL team came within light years’s of offering him anything close to that. So much wasted-cap when this team was fairly tight-knit & starting to knock on the door of doing special things. 

There’s also the plague of Virtanen’s perpetual immaturity upon this team & that dressing room. How do you put heart into something without depth or train the brain of someone who refuses to learn or is unaccustomed to making  the necessary sacrifices? Not properly vetting for maturity & intelligence are mistakes today’s NHL GMs should not be making. (Good luck to MTL’s Bergevin, in that too!)

Throwing money & term at predictably more fragile & repeatedly-concussed players, did not work out that well, either (Ferland, Baertschi). 

Mistakes are piling-up & beginning to out-weigh his scores. I’m not the only fan craving more competent cap management, better over-all communications with veteran players & meticulous vetting of those players whom he procures. Without vastly-improved results this season, the Aquilinis would be negligent to extend JB beyond his current term. 

Edited by viking mama
  • RoughGame 3

1 minute ago, viking mama said:

That was Nate Schmidt’s story here.

What about the albatross Loui Ericsson contract,  where arguably no other NHL team came within light years’s of offering him anything close to that. So much wasted-cap when this team was fairly tight-knit & starting to knock on the door of doing special things. 

There’s also the plague of Virtanen’s perpetual immaturity upon this team & that dressing room. How do you put heart into something without depth or train the brain of someone who refuses to learn or is unaccustomed to making  the necessary sacrifices? Not properly vetting for maturity & intelligence are mistakes today’s NHL GMs should not be making. (Good luck to MTL’s Bergevin, in that too!)

Throwing money & term at once tough  but now predictably more fragile  (repeatedly-concussed) players, did not work out well, either (Ferland, Baertschi etc). 

The mistakes are piling-up & beginning to out weigh his scores. I’m not the only fan craving more competent cap management, better over-all communications with fans & the vetting of the players whom he has procured. Without some vastly-improved results this up-coming season, the Aquilinis would be negligent to extend JB beyond his current term. 

Dumping Whoot abd getting back a third was brilliant.  We are a much improved team.  Addition by subtraction with that guy.

6 hours ago, viking mama said:

What about the albatross Loui Ericksson contract, where arguably no other NHL team came within light years’s of offering him anything close to that.

:picard:

Everyone was handing out big money that summer. His contract wasn't even the worst that was handed out that day (Ladd and Lucic got an extra year).

Screenshot_20210727-091529_Chrome.jpg

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Everyone was handing out big money that summer. His contract wasn't even the worst that was handed out that day (Ladd and Lucic got an extra year).

Who else was battling for the rights to deploy Loui Erksson & at that  money or term? The fact that big contracts were being awarded, does not justify Loui Ericksson being offered such a reward! 

Loui’s chumminess with Benning (BOS) as well as the Sedins (Team-Sweden), uber-tempted JB to over-sell LE’s worth & potential to the Aquilinis. He clearly over-paid the player & promised far more to the fans than LE could ever-possibly deliver. No other GMs were  chomping at the bit to sign Loui Ericksson, at that kind of money &  term. 

Loui was looking to avoid being bounced around, was already in decline, & simply hoped to resurrect his career & do special things upon reunification with the Sedins, which as we saw - never happened.  

Edited by viking mama
  • RoughGame 2

30 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Who else was battling for the rights to deploy Loui Erksson & at that  money or term? The fact that big contracts were being awarded, does not justify Loui Ericksson being offered such a reward! 

Loui’s chumminess with Benning (BOS) as well as the Sedins (Team-Sweden), uber-tempted JB to over-sell LE’s worth & potential to the Aquilinis. He clearly over-paid the player & promised far more to the fans than LE could ever-possibly deliver. No other GMs were  chomping at the bit to sign Loui Ericksson, at that kind of money &  term. 

Loui was looking to avoid being bounced around, was already in decline, & simply hoped to resurrect his career & do special things upon reunification with the Sedins, which as we saw - never happened.  

You're speaking completely out of context.  

Loui would've gotten that money elsewhere.  He was one of the most sought-after free agents that summer.  

Can't really figure out why, but something about Schmidt's episode here just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Still think it was a good trade in the first place and I'm ok with shipping him out at status quo, but I guess my feeling is that his heart was never in it during his time here despite the media posturing.

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, coryberg said:

Lol at that list of terms and monies. It looks Iike the bottom of a vomit bag. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, J-P said:

Can't really figure out why, but something about Schmidt's episode here just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Still think it was a good trade in the first place and I'm ok with shipping him out at status quo, but I guess my feeling is that his heart was never in it during his time here despite the media posturing.

That’s my impression too.  The guy appears to be overtly happy, so when things aren’t going well (getting traded from Vegas to us, and then the bad season) it really gets to him.  I just think he was very good, and I also think he’s own a serious downward trend.  So glad he’s gone.  

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, coryberg said:

Lucic has redeemed himself a little bit, he at least scored on a 3rd liner pace a lot of the time. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, J-P said:

me too. I think its the judgemental angle to it, I'm not sure we deserve the vibe that he's glad to leave a crappy team. It was a throw away year.

He probably just doesn't fit the chill vibe on the room. Brock gives off surfer vibes, whereas Nate seems to bounce off walls. 

Time to let it go though. I wouldn't live in Winnipeg, so I consider us even. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, playboi19 said:

Superstars who go into management roles after retirement usually do very well. Yzerman and Sakic are proving that.

Well we got two of them and nobody saw the ice like they did, hockey IQ off the charts.

Messes are getting cleaned up left and right in a methodical nature

I don't doubt that the Sedin's fingerprints are all over this.

They want a cup in Vancouver and would be an able to stick handle past the media with ease.  

Benning is a smart enough person to not grip power tightly.  He sees the head office like a team.  

The twins embody that.  

• Cheers 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, J-P said:

I think that clip of the Softball charity event is when I got the bad taste in my mouth. You can't help but feel it would have been an uncomfortable situation if Schmidt was still a Canuck this season, because it does seem like brought no passion as Canuck while leaving his "heart" and "enthusiasm" in Vegas. 

I mean, I get it's he's only human. But seeing that I felt like it was best to move on from Schmidt. He was never going give his 100% as a Canuck.