The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We can use that cap space to bring in a D who is a better fit. 

Totally fine with that. More of a disappointment we couldn’t get more for him. Nearly 6M off the books is great actually but the return was less than I was hoping for.

He is definitely not a bad choice to have on a team. Provided it is on a team he want’s to play for. Not the case this time apparently.

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

All we paid was a 3rd. Not sure how bad it really is there.

Vegas had to clear cap because just they signed Pietrangelo and were too far over the cap.

This is a totally different situation.

• Cheers 1

Well I guess we just borrowed him for the year essentially.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Neither.

A 3rd was an incredible price for Schmidt, Benning's best trade by far.

Even after a tough year, Schmidt is worth more than a 3rd.

Unless he desperately wanted out, I hoped we would keep him. His value to us if he has a bounce back season is obviously much higher than a 3rd.

Probably would have gotten more had we retained salary.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Same price we gave up after a brutal season.  Either Benning bent over Vegas for the initial trade or he got pretty decent value here.

Vegas was in tough & had no choice to dump him for cheap. We were not in the same position and should have got more or keep him. 

• RoughGame 1

This is kinda off topic but it’s related to Schmidt. In NHL 21, Schmidt helped me win a Cup in his 1st season with our Nux. He posted some stellar numbers for me. Made it to the conference finals the following season after winning the Cup the first season. Then got a king’s ransom for him. Got two 1st round picks, 7th rounder, a promising prospect in Seth Jarvis for Schmidt and a 2nd. They accepted. I feel like I got a steal doing this lol

• Haha 4

Just now, grandmaster said:

I loved all the moves JB has done this off season so far except for this. I don’t care how some of you look at Schmidt as being redundant in his style of play. He is worth more than a 3rd as a bona fide top 4 D man. I would have kept him. Only way I would be ok with this is if he went after another big fish like Dougie Hamilton. 

This is a fair post. I’m excited about the cap space but I said all along I would be fine keeping him.

In the end it ended up being a wash like we never traded for him in the first place.

I will judge this move based on what we accomplish for Dmen in free agency 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Neither.

A 3rd was an incredible price for Schmidt, Benning's best trade by far.

Even after a tough year, Schmidt is worth more than a 3rd.

Unless he desperately wanted out, I hoped we would keep him. His value to us if he has a bounce back season is obviously much higher than a 3rd.

So he bent Vegas over initially.

I'm pumped that we'll have the money to get some help on the blueline.  Should be able to get two decent righties with the savings from Holtby and the Schmidt trade.