The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Ryan Murray might not be such a bad investment

• He’s a defensive defenseman
  • He’s 27 years old and will be 28 in September
  • He’s had a bit of a history with injuries which will naturally lower the term and money that he’d be able to command.
  • The presence of Murray could allow for OEL to be used in more offensive situations while Murray would assume more defensive responsibilities.

Given the above, the Canucks would likely be able to sign him at decent term and money.

Yes, he’s a LHD, but more defensive defensemen in any form right now is a good thing for this club.

Who knows?  One of Rathbone or Juolevi could be moved for help in another position.

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Savard

Murray-Myers

Schenn

ps - if the Canucks were to go this route, I’d try and see what type of young RHD prospects that we could get for both Rathbone and Juolevi.  Who knows?  Maybe a Braden Schneider or Bode Wilde type returns of Rathbone and Juolevi respectively (and yes, I do realize that I’m being crazy optimistic here).

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

• He’s a defensive defenseman
  • He’s 27 years old and will be 28 in September
  • He’s had a bit of a history with injuries which will naturally lower the term and money that he’d be able to command.
  • The presence of Murray could allow for OEL to be used in more offensive situations while Murray would assume more defensive responsibilities.

Given the above, the Canucks would likely be able to sign him at decent term and money.

Yes, he’s a LHD, but more defensive defensemen in any form right now is a good thing for this club.

Who knows?  One of Rathbone or Juolevi could be moved for help in another position.

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Savard

Murray-Myers

Schenn

ps - if the Canucks were to go this route, I’d try and see what type of young RHD prospects that we could get for both Rathbone and Juolevi.  Who knows?  Maybe a Braden Schneider or Bode Wilde type returns of Rathbone and Juolevi respectively (and yes, I do realize that I’m being crazy optimistic here).

I get what you're saying but then our defence becomes quite old, with no ready to make the jump d prospects.  Don't want to let go of Rathbone... I think that would be a big mistake.  Also, if we let go of Juolevi now, we'd get very little back, not to mention after all these years of injuries and patient development, we need to give him a chance and really see what he can be.

• Cheers 2

1. Murray is a LHD

2. Murray will cost 

3. OEL will handle most defensive responsibilities

4. We can't trade Rathbone, that would be crazy. Trading Juolevi for a RHD would be a good idea, but we wouldn't get much. He probably isn't worth more than a third rounder right now, so it makes sense to keep him and hope he gets better, which he will. Think Olli Maatta as a comparable. 

• Cheers 1

If he was a RD then sure.  We shouldn't be moving any of our young LD though, unless it's trading from a position of strength (e.g. Juolevi and Rathbone both broke out, then trade one to get a young, cost controlled, big minute RD).  Til then we should hold onto them.

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We'd be dumb to move Rathbone imo, he's also probably worth more to us on the ice than anything we'd receive in a trade. Same goes for Juolevi. 

I would throw a fit if Rathbone was moved. He could actually end up being a star imo 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

I would throw a fit if Rathbone was moved. He could actually end up being a star imo 

Agreed, and our defensive prospect pool is pretty shallow. I'd consider Juolevi graduated, Rathbone's currently the best D prospect we've got.

It'd be dumb to throw away a cost controlled potential top 4 guy. And that cost controlled part really matters. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, and our defensive prospect pool is pretty shallow. I'd consider Juolevi graduated, Rathbone's currently the best D prospect we've got.

It'd be dumb to throw away a cost controlled potential top 4 guy. And that cost controlled part really matters. 

In the end I want 2 x Offensive Dmen (Hughes+Rathbone)

2 x 2 way guys (OEL + Myers)

2 x Shutdown guys.

Perfect Balance. So shutdown guys we should be targeting. 

• Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed.  I’d keep Rathbone due to his ceiling, and due to the fact that we wouldn’t be able to get full value for Rathbone when taking his ceiling into consideration.   

Juolevi for a good bottom 6 player might be doable (or OJ for a RD with lower upside)

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed.  I’d keep Rathbone due to his ceiling, and due to the fact that we wouldn’t be able to get full value for Rathbone when taking his ceiling into consideration.   

Juolevi for a good bottom 6 player might be doable (or OJ for a RD with lower upside)

Oh def, he's a good prospect but he's totally unproven.

Not sure you'd get much at all for Juolevi that you couldn't get via ufa in regards to bottom 6 guys though. He's also unproven at the NHL level and likely doesn't hold much trade value. 

At only 23 Juolevi still likely hold more value to us as a player.