The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Tyler Johnson, 2023 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Brent Seabrook

Chicago getting a lot better this off-season while not sacrificing a whole lot. (Last two trades)

Great deal for Tampa. Their cap problems at damn near fine now. 
Hedman will possibly be gone for the first bit of the season with hip surgery, giving TB an easy road to getting Seabrook on LTIR

Tampa for the 3pete

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Guy drives me nuts

Tampa's GM? :P

Nah, PB's alright. He's just got some major blind spots on a few subjects (like this one) where you need to grain of salt his hot takes.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

So Ferland for Killorn + 3rd 2023?

Lol.

:P

in your dreams, more like we trade our 3rd and count our blessings. but we don't need killorn anymore so.......... we need d. Mcdonagh 2 million retained for nothing or mcdonagh no retentetion and a 3rd for ferland 

34 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

How does Seabrooke still have that much value?  Damn, I thought he had retired lol!

he has no 'value' =  it's negative value -that reduced the cost of moving the even greater / considerably negative value of Johnson's contract.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

If LTIR doesn’t help Tampa then why do they keep trading for guys who are on LTIR or who never will play hockey again every year?

And why do people keep saying Tampa is only doing it to save money?  They are literally the only team in hockey right now who are using this loophole year after to year to legally circumvent the salary cap. 

Kucherov was on LTIR for the entire regular season yet he was healthy enough to be ready to go for the very first game of the playoffs and was the best player in the entire playoffs along with Hedman. He even mocked his adversaries by wearing a t-shirt saying “$18 million over the cap”.  

We are not that stupid folks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Again, this does not maximize anything TBL did not gain space adding seabrook, this was simply a money trade.

would you want tyler johnson on our team for ferland? anyone? hello I'm talking to all you people that think ferland has value.

Depends on the return, but why not? Ferland is just dead cap/LTIR overage potential right now. If it's for Johnson and a pick or two or a prospect etc, sure. Could play 3C between Hoglander and Podkolzin and at least play hockey for the money we're already paying Ferland.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Garland

Hoglander, Johnson, Podkolzin

Highmore, Dickenson, Motte

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

Friends on the return, but why not? Ferland is just dead cap/LTIR overage potential right now. If it's for Johnson and a pick or two or a prospect etc, sure. Could play 3C between Hoglander and Podkolzin and at least play hockey for the money we're already paying Ferland.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Garland

Hoglander, Johnson, Podkolzin

Highmore, Dickenson, Motte

you are a troll eh?

first you say he has value, and then you contradict your self saying he's dead cap. literal joke

• Wat 1

13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Again, this does not maximize anything TBL did not gain space adding seabrook, this was simply a money trade.

a lot of people appear confused about this move, including this post.

of course Tampa gained cap space. 

they gained 5 million of cap space - for three years - in other words they gained 15 million of cap space.

for a 2nd round pick

the Seabrook LTIR cap will only hinder them from making offseason moves that would put them more than 10% over the cap.

his deal has negative value - but nowhere neare the negative value of Johnson - who's actual cap Chicago will have to eat for three years, every day of the regular season.

horrible deal for Chicago imo.

a 15 million cap dump should have cost considerably more.

Arizona - who probably also undersold their leverage in the cap dumps they took - got a 2nd and Kolyachonok for eating one serviceable year of Stralman at 5.4....a much better deal imo.

Arizona also got a 2nd and 7th for two year x 4.5 of Gostisbehere....

worst of all - Chicago does Tampa a solid (for soft value....)  :sick:

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wow!!! I wonder if Tampa would give us a 1st, straight up for Ferlands contract??? :bigblush:

we should hold out for a 1st and a second. LTIR contracts that can't play and aren't insured what a value that is.

not saying this is you but. this is how i feel half the posters on this thread feels and i just wanted them to know i sell plots of land on the moon.

sir/madam would you like to buy a plot of land on the moon? it's like earth land but wow it's on the moon. 

it's only 3.5m dollars but we can't insure it and its totally useless to you but you can have it if you want it. kinda like ferlands contract

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

a lot of people appear confused about this move, including this post.

of course Tampa gained cap space. 

they gained 5 million of cap space - for three years - in other words they gained 15 million of cap space.

for a 2nd round pick

the Seabrook LTIR cap will only hinder them from making offseason moves that would put them more than 10% over the cap.

his deal has negative value - but nowhere neare the negative value of Johnson - who's actual cap Chicago will have to eat for three years, every day of the regular season.

horrible deal for Chicago imo.

a 15 million cap dump should have cost considerably more.

Arizona - who probably also undersold their leverage in the cap dumps they took - got a 2nd and Kolyachonok for eating one serviceable year of Stralman at 5.4....a much better deal imo.

Arizona also got a 2nd and 7th for two year x 4.5 of Gostisbehere....

worst of all - Chicago does Tampa a solid (for soft value....)  :sick:

your twisting my words, but you explained this well. what i was referring to is that LTIR does not add value to a team's cap situation, not unless that player has a kucherov type injury and comes back to play. Seabrook is not kucherov

20 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Uh, I don't think it was exactly his choice.

He has a NTC it was his choice. They tried before but he wouldn’t waive for another team so they put him on waivers to try and lose the cap with no return but nobody wanted him.

Edited by flickyoursedin

44 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Guy drives me nuts

I'm sorry my confidence and intelligence makes you feel angry or nuts.

I could give you a piece of peppermint pattie and then I could come over to your house and give you a shoulder rub. cause your obviously crying ovah nuthin. before i ggo i could read you a bed time story and do all the voices too. Won't that be grand? I'm worried about you, and wan't to make sure your mentally stable.

12 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

He has a NTC it was his choice. They tried before but he wouldn’t waive for another team so they put him on waivers to try and lose the cap with no return but nobody wanted him.

Oh, OK, I forgot about the NTC. That is sort of odd, I guess he got tired of feeling unwanted.