The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche re-sign Gabriel Landeskog

37 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Sounded like he was going after 8-9 mil. Bet he signed for something closer to 7. Seems like fair value for the player to me, 9 would be a bit much. Would have loved for him to be a Canuck in another timeline.

Petey should take a good look at this contract. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I came here to say this. No way Petey (or rather his agent) can expect more than Landeskog. 

If he demands more I’ll honestly lose a lot of respect for him. Landeskog is a great hockey player and is eons ahead of Petey. If he asks for 9-10, then let the offer sheets roll in. 

43 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Wow.  great signing. 
Colorado players seem to be on the same page as a far as leaving cash on the table to benefit the team. 
Mack, Makar, now Landy. 
They are just going to keep getting better.  

I wonder what are the chances Mack takes 10M flat or less 

1 hour ago, Wayne Glensky said:

If he demands more I’ll honestly lose a lot of respect for him. Landeskog is a great hockey player and is eons ahead of Petey. If he asks for 9-10, then let the offer sheets roll in. 

lol landeskog is eons ahead of petey? they are not even the same type of player nor play the same position.. EP offensively is equaly to Landeskog currently and far superior than him at the same age. Defensively EP plays good solid defense, minus the hitting from landeskog and plays a more important position than landeskog. but somehow he is eons ahead... EP is not even close to hitting his prime yet and Landeskog already peaking at his prime.. playing against other teams 2nd pairing also helps. but nah every comparable players is eons ahead of EP. if he dares to even ask for anything more than Landeskog time to trade him away and start another rebuild for 10+ years.. 

any smart GM would offer the max contract for 8.45mil x 5 years rather than 7 years lol.. if they match  it puts them in a bad spot as it's terrible terms for the amount.. or if they don't match then it's only a 1st 2nd and a 3rd lol.. like why would anyone do 7 years? lol montreal was smart enough to only do a 5 year 8.45 for aho.. don't think there's any GM out there dumb enough to do a 7 year 4 1st rounder compensation people are dreaming about. any team offering EP 5 years 8.45 already puts the canucks in a bad spot for the canucks. fans here wants him under 6.5 for a bridge 5 years contract at 8.45 is high and only buys 1 year of EP's UFA years.. and if they don't match.. it's just 3 crappy 1st 2nd and 3rd that depending on teams.. might be just a mid/low pick.. the next couple days would be interesting if there's no annoucement of a signing before the start of free agency.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol landeskog is eons ahead of petey? they are not even the same type of player nor play the same position.. EP offensively is equaly to Landeskog currently and far superior than him at the same age. Defensively EP plays good solid defense, minus the hitting from landeskog and plays a more important position than landeskog. but somehow he is eons ahead... EP is not even close to hitting his prime yet and Landeskog already peaking at his prime.. playing against other teams 2nd pairing also helps. but nah every comparable players is eons ahead of EP. if he dares to even ask for anything more than Landeskog time to trade him away and start another rebuild for 10+ years.. 

any smart GM would offer the max contract for 8.45mil x 5 years rather than 7 years lol.. if they match  it puts them in a bad spot as it's terrible terms for the amount.. or if they don't match then it's only a 1st 2nd and a 3rd lol.. like why would anyone do 7 years? lol montreal was smart enough to only do a 5 year 8.45 for aho.. don't think there's any GM out there dumb enough to do a 7 year 4 1st rounder compensation people are dreaming about. any team offering EP 5 years 8.45 already puts the canucks in a bad spot for the canucks. fans here wants him under 6.5 for a bridge 5 years contract at 8.45 is high and only buys 1 year of EP's UFA years.. and if they don't match.. it's just 3 crappy 1st 2nd and 3rd that depending on teams.. might be just a mid/low pick.. the next couple days would be interesting if there's no annoucement of a signing before the start of free agency.

Hey man, shuuuuuut up already! Petey sucks ok?! Don't let him think even for a second that he's good and we like him until after he signs for a discount. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

That 8-9mil ask was 100% a tactic to get Seattle to pass on him. I would bet half of my Earthly possessions on that being the case.

No I don't think that is correct.  

Landeskog was a UFA.  Means that Seattle could try to sign him and then that would have counted as a COL pick for the expansion draft.  Much like how Edler was a UFA and not protected in the draft.  Landeskog asking price may have scared SEA from attempting to sign him though.  But whatever the case, it was always Landeskog in control of where he wanted to go.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Sounded like he was going after 8-9 mil. Bet he signed for something closer to 7. Seems like fair value for the player to me, 9 would be a bit much. Would have loved for him to be a Canuck in another timeline.

Very same deal that Crosby and Mackinnon tends to sign: high value with an additional year or two to lower the annual cap hit.   Good on the Avs - it seems we will be going through them in the West; personally, I like watching the games against the Avs.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Francis running out of options to spend that $30 million.  Maybe he is keeping it for next year.

Someone should explain to him that your extra cap space cannot be carried over to the following year...

Him and Travis should've been a thing. Travis banks his timeouts for a MEGA timeout.  It's not in the CBA yet, but it could!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

No I don't think that is correct.  

Landeskog was a UFA.  Means that Seattle could try to sign him and then that would have counted as a COL pick for the expansion draft.  Much like how Edler was a UFA and not protected in the draft.  Landeskog asking price may have scared SEA from attempting to sign him though.  But whatever the case, it was always Landeskog in control of where he wanted to go.

I somewhat agree to the theory, the 9 million asking price was mainly used to buy Sakic & Landeskog time to agree on a figure & term - he wasn't really going anywhere.   

7 is lower than OEL cap hit; anyways,, it will be fun watching games against a good Avs team rather than a rebuilding one.   

To think that he almost could've been a Kraken lol. 

Why seattle didnt take at least one of landeskog or tarasenko or any other big name (in their prime) in the expansion draft is so confusing to me. 

For Landeskog, I heard its because he didn't agree prior to sign with the Kraken but then they could've picked him and still tried to negotiate... if not then just trade his rights to some other team.

Are they going to rebuild from the start and stockpile on picks? If so then why even draft an old Giordano?

If their plan was to land big free agents, most of the big names have re-signed with their teams and most of the big name players exposed for the expansion draft were arguably better than anyone that would be available in FA. 

Francis is already looking like a horrible GM