The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign Tyson Barrie

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Barrie had a boatload of points last year, so this is a win for Edmonton. 

Dave Semenko once quipped that a fire hydrant could score 20 goals playing with Wayne Gretzky.  Connor McDavid, love him or hate him, is the modern day Gretzky.  Barrie could be the fire hydrant and get the points he got last season simply by playing PP with McDavid.

3 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Dave Semenko once quipped that a fire hydrant could score 20 goals playing with Wayne Gretzky.  Connor McDavid, love him or hate him, is the modern day Gretzky.  Barrie could be the fire hydrant and get the points he got last season simply by playing PP with McDavid.

So you have seen Barrie play defense then?

bwelt GIF by JOMPER

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Although I think Barrie is a big part of that team, because of his chemistry with McDavid, I still think their defense has gotten worse overall. They literally don't have any solid defensive defenseman now that they don't have Adam Larsson.

1 minute ago, Nave said:

Although I think Barrie is a big part of that team, because of his chemistry with McDavid, I still think their defense has gotten worse overall. They literally don't have any solid defensive defenseman now that they don't have Adam Larsson.

As many points as Barrie puts up, he still hurts his team with his outright refusal to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone.  He's a huge part of why their team sucks though.

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

As many points as Barrie puts up, he still hurts his team with his outright refusal to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone.  He's a huge part of why their team sucks though.

I don't know if McDavid puts up 100 points in a shortened season without Barrie.

I'm kind of scratching my head as to what they want to do for their penalty kill, shutdown pairing, and the like though. Play Keith?

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Nave said:

I don't know if McDavid puts up 100 points in a shortened season without Barrie.

I'm kind of scratching my head as to what they want to do for their penalty kill, shutdown pairing, and the like though. Play Keith?

Pretty sure he does, and gets scored on a lot less too with an actual NHLer on the blueline.  Re-signing this piece of trash indicates the Oilers really don't care whether or not their defensemen can actually play defense.  They'll probably try Bouchard, who disgraced his country at the WJHC with his atrocious play in his own zone.  Soft, slow, and stupid, he's a perfect fit in Edmonton.

• Wat 1

He was a huge part of their team last season, not surprised at all.

They are going to suck without any real defensive minded D though. But their D core isn't much different from Vancouvers right now. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, beni said:

He was a huge part of their team last season, not surprised at all.

They are going to suck without any real defensive minded D though. But their D core isn't much different from Vancouvers right now. 

Vancouver has more than two actual NHL defensemen.

• Cheers 1