The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brandon Sutter

On 7/29/2021 at 1:45 AM, Viper007 said:

When you play against the top lines of the opposition, there will be times when you look bad.

Not only that, but the top guys are faster, stronger, quicker … so it’s completely understandable why sutter would be so out of breath at every whistle,  trying to shut them down.   

So I wouldn’t say his conditioning is poor.   

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Insane value on this deal. 

Last year he had

-55.5% face off percentage

-took only 1 penalty and drew 9

-scored 9 goals in 43 games(that's 17 over 82)

-had 14 giveaways but 23 Takeaways

-71.9% of his shifts were in the DZone 

All this while averaging only 12:12 of even strength ice time in a shut down role.

it took 6 years but he's finally the ideal 4C :P 

I kid, I've always liked him here. Very happy he's back in this role, at that price. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Insane value on this deal. 

Last year he had

-55.5% face off percentage

-took only 1 penalty and drew 9

-scored 9 goals in 43 games(that's 17 over 82)

-had 14 giveaways but 23 Takeaways

-71.9% of his shifts were in the DZone 

All this while averaging only 12:12 of even strength ice time in a shut down role.

I don't know how any Canucks fan could hate on this deal for Sutter.  This is incredible value.  He should stay healthier too with less hard minutes.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't know how any Canucks fan could hate on this deal for Sutter.  This is incredible value.  He should stay healthier too with less hard minutes.

There are some ppl who think Sutter shouldn't have returned, but they are very much in the minority.

I don't expect squamfan, for example, to be a fan of anything of this team because of his constant negativity. I have never seen him praise the cheap contracts.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

“He doesn’t have any vision or playmaking skill!!  

Pass the frickin’ puck better you scrub!!  You’re where offensive chances go to die!”

How much you wanna bet this same type of mantra starts up again? ;)

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

On 7/29/2021 at 11:26 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

Was a huge sutter hater but im surprisingly okay with it now.

Church of Sutter will accept you as you are. Welcome back.

17 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Church of Sutter will accept you as you are. Welcome back.

He he, never liked Sutter's deployment on our team until the bubble playoffs but he showed his value there. As a shutdown 4c with fast wingers it's hard to argue with this signing at 1yr/1mil and good on him for sticking with us.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yep. Those against this signing is unlikely to be a Canucks fan. Or more likely that they are anti-Canucks fan.

They watch and follow the Canucks to criticize the team, the players, the management, the coaches, the media, and real Canucks fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I would argue he took a contract LOWER than he is worth. Maybe it was to stay in Vancouver, maybe it was to repay the team for not living up to his contract, but either way I gained more respect for him with the signing.

Any time a player leaves money on the table to do what they feel is right is a classy move.

• Cheers 3

On 7/28/2021 at 7:19 PM, The Lock said:

Watch Sutter become beloved by the fans for a change. Feels refreshing as the guy's a great hockey player, he was just overpaid. He deserves more love.

Nah the haters will still blame him for not being cheaper sooner and will still use his old cap hit when talking about his performance vs contract 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

The term "foundational" player, 4.25 for 4 years and injuries are why people turned on Sutter.  

He is class and more than good enough to be a solid 4th line center and locker room guy at 1.1.

If you’re on a team for five years… you’re kind of “foundational”…

Our kids are ready two to three years early and counting.

Goad Sutter knows his place in this organization.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1