The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brandon Sutter

On 8/2/2021 at 11:42 PM, 4petesake said:

IMac reported that Brackett wanted total control over the amateur scouting department and Benning wasn’t willing to give it to him. One could make the argument that if someone wasn’t willing to listen to all the voices in the room it was likely Brackett, not Benning.

Regardless of the business, every worker wants to feel valued and respected, and every manager should seek that for their employees. Brackett has done an excellent job and deserves respect, as well as a degree of latitude. But as far as I know, there isn’t an organization in the National Hockey League in which the GM – and remember, Benning built his career as scout – has ceded total control of his scouting department and draft to a senior employee. Because if the owner comes looking for a scalp, his first stop isn’t the scouting department. - Ian MacIntyre

this is the problem when you listen too much to your smarmy fanclub - you begin to believe the narratives of your cult following.

speaking of which - shouldn't there be a migration?   Wild-'army' seems like it should be the new thing.   Please make it happen.

btw..../s....(I have no real idea what Brackett listened/listens to lol)....

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Inspired by someone's comment earlier, I did a quick lookup to get an idea of Sutter's impact on the team.  This won't paint the whole picture, (numbers rarely do), but it was still fun.

Sutter has been with the team for 6 seasons, and has missed significant time in all but one (2016-17, where he played 81 games).

In 4 of the 5 other seasons, the Canucks record was worse when he was out of the lineup than in.

In 2015-16, Canucks had 75 points in 82 games.  When Sutter played, they had 22 points in 20 games.

2017-18, Canucks had 73 in 82, and with Sutter they had 58 in 61 games.

2018-19, Canucks had 81 in 82, with Sutter they were 27 in 26 games.

2020-21, Canucks had 50 in 56 games, with Sutter 41 in 43 games.

The only year where the team did better without him was 2019/20 (Canucks had 78 points in 69 games, with Sutter 47 in 44)

As a fourth line center, he'll be just fine. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:56 PM, Alflives said:

Are you saying signing Sutter for 1 x 1 is a bad move?  What?  It’s a great signing!  Why in the heck would we even think of trading Sutter now, after we just signed him, and only for this one year?  

As I have clearly said, Sutter centering the 4th line at 1 year, 1.125 mil is a solid low risk signing.

The trouble with Sutter was the 5 years of nothing we got out of him at 2nd liner money. Benning paid a significant premium and hyped him up to no end and in the process created expectations Sutter was never going to live up to.

40 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As a fourth line center, he'll be just fine. 

Definitely.  I wasn't disappointed with him as 3C, but if we get deeper/better, who's gonna complain?

Wait, i think I can answer that ;) 

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

As I have clearly said, Sutter centering the 4th line at 1 year, 1.125 mil is a solid low risk signing.

The trouble with Sutter was the 5 years of nothing we got out of him at 2nd liner money. Benning paid a significant premium and hyped him up to no end and in the process created expectations Sutter was never going to live up to.

Are you saying he's not a foundational piece ? :bigblush:

52 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

To be perfectly fair, he was extremely durable leading up his time on the Canucks. Too bad it's a moot point now. Sutter ended up being overpaid and it was a bad extension by Benning in hindsight.

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Inspired by someone's comment earlier, I did a quick lookup to get an idea of Sutter's impact on the team.  This won't paint the whole picture, (numbers rarely do), but it was still fun.

Sutter has been with the team for 6 seasons, and has missed significant time in all but one (2016-17, where he played 81 games).

In 4 of the 5 other seasons, the Canucks record was worse when he was out of the lineup than in.

In 2015-16, Canucks had 75 points in 82 games.  When Sutter played, they had 22 points in 20 games.

2017-18, Canucks had 73 in 82, and with Sutter they had 58 in 61 games.

2018-19, Canucks had 81 in 82, with Sutter they were 27 in 26 games.

2020-21, Canucks had 50 in 56 games, with Sutter 41 in 43 games.

The only year where the team did better without him was 2019/20 (Canucks had 78 points in 69 games, with Sutter 47 in 44)

Get outta here with your facts and figures. We want to hang somebody...Benning sucks!!  

Ok, I agree, Sutter was a positive on the team when healthy. The knock I’ve always had is that he was overpaid and taking up too much cap space for what he brings. Now that he is being payed properly for his role (4th liner that can play up a little when needed) I think it’s a great addition. Anyone complaining is welcome to try and find a better fourth line Center/teammate/veteran presence for less than this deal. Instead of hating the last five years let’s look forward to the next one. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Get outta here with your facts and figures. We want to hang somebody...Benning sucks!!  

Ok, I agree, Sutter was a positive on the team when healthy. The knock I’ve always had is that he was overpaid and taking up too much cap space for what he brings. Now that he is being payed properly for his role (4th liner that can play up a little when needed) I think it’s a great addition. Anyone complaining is welcome to try and find a better fourth line Center/teammate/veteran presence for less than this deal. Instead of hating the last five years let’s look forward to the next one. 

I know, I know :lol:

If he wasn't getting hurt, that would have made his earlier cap easier to take.  Whether his injury luck just caught up with him, or it's tougher playing on the west coast, or whatever, he lost a lot of man-games, and it was tough on the team when it happened.  Even tougher when another C was out, which happened more than we would all have liked.  I wasn't one who complained of his earlier contract, but I can understand some of the complaints. IMO, he was worth far more than what some valued him at.  Perhaps not 4m+, but I don't think there was going to be much of a savings to be had there.

In any case, onwards and upwards.  Definitely looking forward to next year, as long as Petey's wrist is ok!

• Cheers 1

Regardless of whether or not it's best for the team, I don't think it's unreasonable for a GM to want final say in whoever a team drafts in the first round. Just sayin'

As far as Sutter goes, had he  not had his injury woes I think he would have been close to worth his previous contract. Playmaking black hole without much physicality, yes, but also a solid goal scorer with great defensive ability that's good in the dot. That's not nothing.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1