The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brandon Sutter

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I wonder if Getzlaf would have played with us for the same money

I'd rather Sutter. Sutter is getting paid barely over league minimum to eat defensive zone draws and kill penalties for us. Not sure I would want Getzlaf want filling that roll.

Sutter was the ideal signing for this spot. He's reliable, we know exactly what we are getting with him, and he does his job. Besides his lack of production, my only knock on him really was his cap hit. You can't complain about 1 mil at all. You ain't getting much cheaper then that really. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cocanuck said:

Too slow and soft to play against,, was hoping for more speed and size on 4th line role..  oh well guess we had nothing better

Excacty. Good it's one cheap year till a better option presents itself. If this team is killer, maybe aquire one at trade deadline. 

great to have his hard minutes/matchup, penalty killing abilities back

but I think they still need to add another depth center.

both Beagle and Roussel were penalty killers here - still have wingers like Motte and Highmore - added Dickinson, but undetermined whether he'll be a winger or center, and regardless, for both faceoffs and for injury insurance, another veteran center that can win faceoffs and kill penalties would be a wise addition imo.

Richardson appears to still be available - he, or comparable, would be a good guy to bring back imo.

2 hours ago, The Listening said:

I have some concerns regarding our right side defence, as well as our centre position if someone goes down in those positions. Overall looks solid if the team can stay healthy. 

If a C gets hurt we can shift Miller into C and adjust wingers. Motte is capable of third line. Pod or Pearson are capable of top 6.

Agree with right side D though for injury sake. Maybe OEL could shift over?

27 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

If a C gets hurt we can shift Miller into C and adjust wingers. Motte is capable of third line. Pod or Pearson are capable of top 6.

Agree with right side D though for injury sake. Maybe OEL could shift over?

WE also signed a couple guys for Abby that we can recall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Sutter clearly wants to be here.  He fills a role on and off the ice.  

In the dressing room off the ice I get it he is a good guy with experience but he has failed the eye test for me more than not. Always gasping for air after the whistle perhaps bad conditioning, can't clear the puck out with weird passes back to opposing D as result we get hemmed in, doesn't fight or rarely sticks up for teammates in scrum turns away after whistle, does very little offensively although it's not his role, slow as a turtle, injured alot. So we sign him just for faceoffs no thanks. This guy and Edler seemed to have the most boneheaded giveaways. One is gone hoped Sutter would have also.

Edited by PositionOfPower

1 hour ago, PositionOfPower said:

In the dressing room off the ice I get it he is a good guy with experience but he has failed the eye test for me more than not. Always gasping for air after the whistle perhaps bad conditioning, can't clear the puck out with weird passes back to opposing D as result we get hemmed in, doesn't fight or rarely sticks up for teammates in scrum turns away after whistle, does very little offensively although it's not his role, slow as a turtle, injured alot. So we sign him just for faceoffs no thanks. This guy and Edler seemed to have the most boneheaded giveaways. One is gone hoped Sutter would have also.

When you play against the top lines of the opposition, there will be times when you look bad.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Sutter clearly wants to be here.  He fills a role on and off the ice.  

I really love how he makes McJebus throw tantrums when they go head to head also he is def a sentimental favourite for showing his loyalty to the team, city and fans.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, The Listening said:

I have some concerns regarding our right side defence, as well as our centre position if someone goes down in those positions. Overall looks solid if the team can stay healthy. 

Top 9 C gets hurt we have Miller.

Defence can’t be worse than last year and it’s deeper overall too 

Not a bad signing. I'm not a fan of him as a player but when he's healthy and in his groove he's worth 2.5 million. Question is can he get healthy and out in the effort. I prefer more motor guys like Motte and Hoglander for these roles but he is a good pk'er. 

Can't be too mad at this unless he's getting deployed over guys that deserve his spot more than him. Definitely a great contract. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Weird that our worst losing streaks over the last couple of years have been exactly at the same time Sutter and Beagle were both injured.

It’s almost as if there’s a direct correlation between losing the bulk of defensive zone faceoffs, as well as a dramatic plunge in PK efficacy, and prolonged losing streaks.  The things we learn these days!

• Cheers 2