The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

2 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

There were also lots of teams interested in Holtby.... turns out they all wanted 50% retention and picks added 

so what you're saying - is that those GMs wanted Poolman to give them a draft pick?

what a weak analogy wadr.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

so what you're saying - is that those GMs wanted Poolman to give them a draft pick?

what a weak analogy wadr.

No, I'm saying that statements like this can be misleading.  There could have been 11 other teams interested in him at 1-1.5 million for 1-2 years.  That doesn't mean anything....

4 hours ago, Seguin said:

My only issue with this is, could he not have been had for cheaper?

Signings like this make it seem like Jim called his agent, offered him 4x2.5 and Tucker and his agent is laughing under their mask

I take back what I said.

Looking at the other contracts being signed and the amount of money spent on the blue line around the league, I’ll take it at 2.5

Sounds like a dozen teams were interested in Poolman as well

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

More of the same... overpaid - middle of the packers...gdmnt.

I feel like there should be an autoban on people who pick user names like longsuffering and 51 year drought or whatever. Like why bother even coming on except to complain when your username is such a debbie downer? No offence @-DLC- for using your name in vain.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

But but but Benning should have demanded a cheaper, shorter contract amirite?

Or we should have DEMANDED that a different player come here that didn't want to. 

According to some fans, that is how free agency works.

Pin on e-commerce

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

typical day on CDC - the poopooing of this signing - has eaten up a comparable amount of posts/pages - as all 11 of their other UFA signings combined.

A lot of those posts were from people calling out the idiots who are moaning about paying market value for a team need.

• Wat 1

26 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

None of these players can play against the other teams top lines.  Hamonic was ok last year but would be much better suited to the bottom pairing...Poolman is also a bottom pairing guy.  Myers is an ok #4 defenceman who also struggles with poor defensive coverage.  Even though everyone is saying OEL is a top pairing D - he hasn't been for like 3 years.  He's been bad defensively too - I hope he can rebound here but there's no guarantee.  It's just a weird hodge podge of ill-fitting parts and players playing further up the depth chart than they should.  I know people don't like graphs or statistics on this site but the WAR for the defense as a whole is last in the NHL.  I'm not sure I'd go that far but it's definitely bottom 5 in the league.  

I don't necessarily agree with this - these guys dont play in a vacuum, and their stats are massively skewed by their partner & the team surrounding them. 

Remember Taylor Pyatt? 23 goals 1st season playing with the Sedins. 12 goals when traded away to Phoenix. 
Hamonic was a +21 playing in 2018-2019 in Calgary when they won the pacific division, and -3 the very next year on a weaker Calgary team. 
Myers was a +9 with Winnipeg, and a -7 with us the year afterwards.

OEL looked really good in 2019-2020 when Phoenix iced a pretty good team that had a playoff run. Look at some footage - Beyond his obvious offensive skills, OEL is a really good PKer. That sort of says it all about his defensive ability. Hamonic also exceeded expectations this year in his defensive abilities. Poolman was trusted in Winnipeg to play PK minutes all season long, and played more than 20min/night in the playoffs. That's 3 reliable defensively responsible d-men. 

What do you think happens to a more offensive oriented defenceman like Myers and Hughes when they're not being relied on to play against other team's top lines? Their defensive stats improve, and they score more points.
OEL and Poolman are likely exactly what the doctor ordered - JB delivered.