The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

He has a use here sure but he gets sheltered minutes and for 6 million he should be one of our best dmen and he’s not. He’s going to be a bottom pairing guy most of the time. Take away the salary he has a use here right now sure but at his salary / term I haven’t been happy with it since we signed him. He raises the internal salaries of dmen on our team too if he gets 6 what Should Hughes  get you know not just relative to league. Hope Myers has a big year in a sheltered role where he won’t get exposed or hard minutes and he flourishes though 

Erm, internal salary or not, Hughes definitely isn't using Myers as the comparison. There have been several high-end defensemen signing for astronomical signings. Myers was a UFA signing from so many years ago - not really relevant today.

To put it into perspective, your parents probably bought your house for 700,000 (or lower). You can't use that price to justify what to pay someone, especially when the market has changed radically. You can't just tell them "well you made double your money, that's enough".

Edited by Dazzle

30 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

RFAs cannot use UFA salaries in salary arbitration because UFA salaries are acknowledged industry-wide to be inflated by demand alone which is why the CBA prohibits UFA comparable salaries in arbitration hearings; therefore, Myers’ salary has no direct bearing on Hughes’ contract negotiations at all.  Werenski, Nurse, Jones, etc?  Now those RFA salaries have a direct impact on JP Barry’s & Pat Brisson’s negotiation leverage.

Just Werenski was a pending RFA. Nurse and Jones were pending UFAs.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Just Werenski was a pending RFA. Nurse and Jones were pending UFAs.

My bad.  I didn’t realize both bridge deals were set to expire in UFA age.  Replace those two with Heiskanen and Makar then.  The RFA - UFA legally non comparable point remains.  Thank you for correcting my mistaken understanding of where Nurse & Jones were at.

• Cheers 3

On 8/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, aGENT said:

People need to stop this. 'Bottom pairing' defensemen don't have a career ATOI of 22 minutes.  Or average 32 points/82 games.

He played first pairing time on ice. Myers is interesting, as he is actually a pretty good offensive defenseman but because he is tall there is almost the belief he can defend well. Because he gets paid a lot expectations will be higher, and he will get harder minutes than he should.

Myers is a fine NHL player just overpaid.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, R3aL said:

He has a use here sure but he gets sheltered minutes and for 6 million he should be one of our best dmen and he’s not. He’s going to be a bottom pairing guy most of the time. Take away the salary he has a use here right now sure but at his salary / term I haven’t been happy with it since we signed him. He raises the internal salaries of dmen on our team too if he gets 6 what Should Hughes  get you know not just relative to league. Hope Myers has a big year in a sheltered role where he won’t get exposed or hard minutes and he flourishes though 

But he arguably was our best defensemen last year.

• Cheers 4

On 8/11/2021 at 9:32 AM, aGENT said:

People need to stop this. 'Bottom pairing' defensemen don't have a career ATOI of 22 minutes.  Or average 32 points/82 games.

I guess maybe I just don’t enjoy watching the Way he plays most of the time. And judge him on eye test unfairly because of his salary 

• Cheers 1

On 8/19/2021 at 6:14 AM, canucklehead44 said:

He played first pairing time on ice. Myers is interesting, as he is actually a pretty good offensive defenseman but because he is tall there is almost the belief he can defend well. Because he gets paid a lot expectations will be higher, and he will get harder minutes than he should.

Myers is a fine NHL player just overpaid.

Exactly, his fair market value is about 4.5 million given that he plays the second most minutes on our team and is a staple of our special teams (PK).  

Salary cap was supposed to be approaching and surpassing 90 million next year before covid struck.  This is one of many slightly overinflated contracts signed two years ago.