The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Boy after all the hoopla around this signing when it was made, it is now looking low-key like one of the most important moves this off-season.

I was honestly quite surprised at the strong negative reaction to the signing.  Yes, $2.5M per year for 4-years seemed a bit high, but it wasn't completely out of line for someone with his play style and experience.  Only time will tell if these early signs of chemistry between Poolman and OEL hold out over the course of a full season, but adding Poolman seemed like a worthwhile move since he might also play well with Hughes and seems versatile enough to play with most of the LHD since he keeps his game simple.  I would rather have Poolman at $2.5M than Gudbranson at $1.95M.  I'm not even a Gudbranson hater, I just think time has shown that Gudbranson clearly struggles to keep up at the NHL level even if he can still be a serviceable depth D and, as such, should be paid accordingly.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I was honestly quite surprised at the strong negative reaction to the signing.  Yes, $2.5M per year for 4-years seemed a bit high, but it wasn't completely out of line for someone with his play style and experience.  Only time will tell if these early signs of chemistry between Poolman and OEL hold out over the course of a full season, but adding Poolman seemed like a worthwhile move since he might also play well with Hughes and seems versatile enough to play with most of the LHD since he keeps his game simple.  I would rather have Poolman at $2.5M than Gudbranson at $1.95M.  I'm not even a Gudbranson hater, I just think time has shown that Gudbranson clearly struggles to keep up at the NHL level even if he can still be a serviceable depth D and, as such, should be paid accordingly.

I dont mind the 2.5 as much as I mind the 4 years.. I doubt there were teams lining up to bid for his service out there I rather something short like a 2 year deal and see if he works or not in the system.. so what if he only looked good coz Winnipeg system and they are a much better defensive team? If he doesn't work out we are stuck with it for another 3 years after this.

41 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The perception of a strong negative reaction isn’t really accurate if you look back at the actual posts.  It was mostly folks being concerned about the term for a guy with a thin resume which is totally fair considering it was also that same reaction from hockey folks outside the market. 

It was folks “on the other side” who were being bombastic and pretending it was a strong negative reaction to make straw man arguments.  

… “That contract and term seems high for an older player without a lot of experience.  I hope Benning isn’t falling back into the $1 million too much or 1 year too much term trap we just got out of..”

”WHY DO YOU HATE THE PLAYER BEFORE HE HAS STEPPED ON THE ICE AND WANT OUR TEAM TO FAIL!!????  You are going to drive players out of town!!! We have the worst fans in the league!!! I guarantee he is going to be better than Tanev!”

The truth is Poolman had a handful of great playoff games but has mostly been a 3rd pairing D for his short career.  Those guys don’t generally get rewarded with term, so we are paying for (as yet) unproven upside.  Everyone will be happy if that bet pays off. The reports are all that he struggles when facing tougher competition and playing higher in the lineup (mind you we are paying $6 million a year for a guy with the same issue).

If we get a guy who can play top 4 minutes at thst salary the term is going to work in our favour.  If we are paying 4 years for a guy that regularly gets shuffled out of the lineup in favour of Schenn’s toughness then obviously that is a bad deal to carry.  If Hamonic decides not to play, we will just be happy to have another NHL calibre player on that side.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dont mind the 2.5 as much as I mind the 4 years.. I doubt there were teams lining up to bid for his service out there I rather something short like a 2 year deal and see if he works or not in the system.. so what if he only looked good coz Winnipeg system and they are a much better defensive team? If he doesn't work out we are stuck with it for another 3 years after this.

So you think Benning just volunteered the 4 years with no other teams in the running? If I had to venture an educated guess on how negotiations went, it was something like: "If you want Poolman on your team you got to give him the 4th year". Seems more likely to me. 

While I agree the 4 years is not ideal, not UFA signing ever really is and adding term was less of an evil than adding $. 

So I ask you this question: Would you rather Poolman at 2.5 x 4 or a defense without him (especially with Hamonic maybe not playing).

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Provost said:

The perception of a strong negative reaction isn’t really accurate if you look back at the actual posts.  It was mostly folks being concerned about the term for a guy with a thin resume which is totally fair considering it was also that same reaction from hockey folks outside the market. 

It was folks “on the other side” who were being bombastic and pretending it was a strong negative reaction to make straw man arguments.  

… “That contract and term seems high for an older player without a lot of experience.  I hope Benning isn’t falling back into the $1 million too much or 1 year too much term trap we just got out of..”

”WHY DO YOU HATE THE PLAYER BEFORE HE HAS STEPPED ON THE ICE AND WANT OUR TEAM TO FAIL!!????  You are going to drive players out of town!!! We have the worst fans in the league!!! I guarantee he is going to be better than Tanev!”

The truth is Poolman had a handful of great playoff games but has mostly been a 3rd pairing D for his short career.  Those guys don’t generally get rewarded with term, so we are paying for (as yet) unproven upside.  Everyone will be happy if that bet pays off. The reports are all that he struggles when facing tougher competition and playing higher in the lineup (mind you we are paying $6 million a year for a guy with the same issue).

If we get a guy who can play top 4 minutes at thst salary the term is going to work in our favour.  If we are paying 4 years for a guy that regularly gets shuffled out of the lineup in favour of Schenn’s toughness then obviously that is a bad deal to carry.  If Hamonic decides not to play, we will just be happy to have another NHL calibre player on that side.

Are you new to CDC? That doesn't actually happen. Someone here (and the media especially) will find something to criticize about.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

So you think Benning just volunteered the 4 years with no other teams in the running? If I had to venture an educated guess on how negotiations went, it was something like: "If you want Poolman on your team you got to give him the 4th year". Seems more likely to me. 

While I agree the 4 years is not ideal, not UFA signing ever really is and adding term was less of an evil than adding $. 

So I ask you this question: Would you rather Poolman at 2.5 x 4 or a defense without him (especially with Hamonic maybe not playing).

lol well benning did volunteered the 4 year on ferland with no team willing to give him a multiple year contract due to his concussion history so ya i wouldn't put it past him. it's not the first and it's not the last time he do it

On 9/29/2021 at 8:37 AM, wai_lai416 said:

18 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol well benning did volunteered the 4 year on ferland with no team willing to give him a multiple year contract due to his concussion history so ya i wouldn't put it past him. it's not the first and it's not the last time he do it

Damn, I was just about to congratulate you for starting a post without "lol", at the start. Ohhh well.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Wait. Are you a Benning hater?

Even when time share good they come out thinking they can play don’t they…

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

Wait. Are you a Benning hater?

Even when time share good they come out thinking they can play don’t they…

yes and no? when he does good i'll praise him when he does bad i'll bash him. his rfa signing is good. his ufa signing have been horrible (how many overpaid contract/buyouts have he signed) trades are 50/50. draft some good some out right horrible.

but ya i don't like the length of the contract given to poolman. 2.5 i can live with 4 years is questionable.. so what if he doesnt' perform? we are stuck with a 2.5mil dman for 4 years? i would have preferred him spending on an actual top 4 defenseman ie combining hamonic and poolman salary and go with 2 1mil or less defenseman like a rathbone/juolevi and schenn combo.. i mean as it stands right now IF hamonic does play.. one of the 5 dman that we are paying over 2.5mil for will end up playing in a bottom 2 pairing role.. that to me is an overpayment. i rather go with 4 good defenseman and 2 bottom pairing guy than 2 good defenseman 3 average and a bottom pairing guy.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:22 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

I would say, a very small percentage of fans would have the knowledge to know whether this was a good or bad signing so it was comical to see the extreme reactions. 

It is pretty customary to see ppl pile on into a discussion and regurgitate what others are saying without knowing how a player actually plays. 

I love the Canucks. I've watched them for almost 30 years. I know when I see a good play vs a bad play. 

That being said, I don't have enough knowledge of another team's D-man to know whether a 2.5m.contract is good or bad. 

There's not enough time in a day for me to watch 30 other teams as intently as I watch our guys. We know the bigger names like Scheifle, Connor, Wheeler etc

Poolman, from what I saw, passed the eye test when we played them. So did guys like Appleton. 

Doesn't mean I am informed enough to have a strong opinion on any of those types of signings. 

Also guys like OEL. So many ppl regurgitating the pundits who criticized the signing. 

Who actually watches Coyotes hockey enough to know what they are talking about? 

The only time I watch the Coyotes is if I am in Scottsdale to hang out and decide to catch a game for less than $50 sitting centre ice lower bowl. 

All this to say, I have no idea how the Poolman and OEL deals will work out. My hope is JB knows what he is doing and as a fan, I truly hope it works out. 

There's a mob mentality that is eerily reminiscent of highschool around here. A certain thought or idea gets going and then builds momentum until everyone thinks player X is amazing and hopes JB gets him. One example is Savard. Somewhere along the way, he became one of the top targets on CDC to the point I was thinking, hey, it'd be nice to sign him. Here's the thing though. I have no clue how he plays but the strong messaging here made me think we needed this guy. 

I'm very curious to see how he does after signing his 3.5m.contract.

Is he 500k better than Hamonic? Is he a mil better than Poolman? So many ppl here wanted him. Let's see how Mtl does this year with him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:55 AM, wai_lai416 said:

yes and no? when he does good i'll praise him when he does bad i'll bash him. his rfa signing is good. his ufa signing have been horrible (how many overpaid contract/buyouts have he signed) trades are 50/50. draft some good some out right horrible.

but ya i don't like the length of the contract given to poolman. 2.5 i can live with 4 years is questionable.. so what if he doesnt' perform? we are stuck with a 2.5mil dman for 4 years? i would have preferred him spending on an actual top 4 defenseman ie combining hamonic and poolman salary and go with 2 1mil or less defenseman like a rathbone/juolevi and schenn combo.. i mean as it stands right now IF hamonic does play.. one of the 5 dman that we are paying over 2.5mil for will end up playing in a bottom 2 pairing role.. that to me is an overpayment. i rather go with 4 good defenseman and 2 bottom pairing guy than 2 good defenseman 3 average and a bottom pairing guy.

Conversely, if he is better than 2.5, isn't it good that we have him locked in for 4 years at that price? 

I'm sure some ppl wondered the same thing when Burrows signed 2m x 4

You should start a thread called Poolman- Do We Need Him? 

Also what are you talking about? JBs drafts have been amazing. 

You think all the good picks were no brainers. They might as well make you the GM because clearly, there were some other GMs that passed on our studs. Should the 6 GMs that passed on Hughes be fired? How about the 4 before Petterson or the many GMs that left Boeser available at 23?

How about out starting goalie in the 2nd round? How about Hogz in the 2nd round. Looks like Gadj might pan out? 

What are we upset about? JV and Juolevi? 

Juolevi might still be a top 4 D man when all's said and done. Injuries derailed the poor guy. 

JV was the only questionable pick and who knows how much outside influence there was at his first draft? 

Weird how Aqualini doesn't mind continuing to re-sign his GM and has stepped back from meddling in operations. Maybe there's something to be said about JBs character in all of this. Why do you think JBs Contract keeps getting extended while Gillis still can't find a job in this league? 

Do you feel the Canucks are trending in the right way? Are you excited about this team? 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Conversely, if he is better than 2.5, isn't it good that we have him locked in for 4 years at that price? 

I'm sure some ppl wondered the same thing when Burrows signed 2m x 4

You should start a thread called Poolman- Do We Need Him? 

Also what are you talking about? JBs drafts have been amazing. 

You think all the good picks were no brainers. They might as well make you the GM because clearly, there were some other GMs that passed on our studs. Should the 6 GMs that passed on Hughes be fired? How about the 4 before Petterson or the many GMs that left Boeser available at 23?

How about out starting goalie in the 2nd round? How about Hogz in the 2nd round. Looks like Gadj might pan out? 

What are we upset about? JV and Juolevi? 

Juolevi might still be a top 4 D man when all's said and done. Injuries derailed the poor guy. 

JV was the only questionable pick and who knows how much outside influence there was at his first draft? 

Weird how Aqualini doesn't mind continuing to re-sign his GM and has stepped back from meddling in operations. Maybe there's something to be said about JBs character in all of this. Why do you think JBs Contract keeps getting extended while Gillis still can't find a job in this league? 

Do you feel the Canucks are trending in the right way? Are you excited about this team? 

will poolman ever be better than a 2.5mil defenseman? prolly not? u don't see 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman with 0 offense ever get paid in this league. and i'm not even sure why burrow is mentioned.. who was wondering when he signed his deal? he came off of a 31 and 51 point season.. if anything he was well below market.. poolman on the otherhand is looking well above market along with a nice term for himself.

when you have multiple top 6 picks that's flopped? sure juolevi might still pan out as a bottom pairing guy for a 5th overall? boeser at 23? what about aho at 35 then? what about cirelli at 72? he hit 2 2nd rounder out of how many 2nd rounders? and flopped hard on 2 top 6 picks? look at where our rebuild be at if he drafted decent nhler with the top 6 doesn't even need to be a home run.

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

will poolman ever be better than a 2.5mil defenseman? prolly not? u don't see 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman with 0 offense ever get paid in this league. and i'm not even sure why burrow is mentioned.. who was wondering when he signed his deal? he came off of a 31 and 51 point season.. if anything he was well below market.. poolman on the otherhand is looking well above market along with a nice term for himself.

when you have multiple top 6 picks that's flopped? sure juolevi might still pan out as a bottom pairing guy for a 5th overall? boeser at 23? what about aho at 35 then? what about cirelli at 72? he hit 2 2nd rounder out of how many 2nd rounders? and flopped hard on 2 top 6 picks? look at where our rebuild be at if he drafted decent nhler with the top 6 doesn't even need to be a home run.

Ok so you are saying that Poolman will not be worth 2.5m

Me on the other hand don't know enough to say as definitively whether he is or not. 

My hope is that he is. 

If he can bring a stable presence on the top 4, I'm totally good with 2.5

Even if he goes 3rd pairing and the play of our defence doesn't drop off the cliff, I think it's money well spent. 

We are building a very deep and balanced team. I'm on board with these moves. 

As for drafting, I think you must have a serious axe to grind if you think JB hasn't done well at the draft table. Many JB haters think he still has a job because of his drafting but you go even further and even take that from him... Smh...