The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

43 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

You keep saying you don't like this, but you haven't given a solution. 

Who would you have signed this year instead of getting OEL, Hamonic and Poolman? 

What's the point of rattling off ideal situations when that solution is not present? 

and who i like to see signed have what to do with i think the contract is too much/too long?

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and who i like to see signed have what to do with i think the contract is too much/too long?

You said you'd rather go with other D men. You didn't just talk about "contract being too much/too long"

43 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You said you'd rather go with other D men. You didn't just talk about "contract being too much/too long"

ya the original post was i think the contract is too long too much and it turned into this. who i like to sign is irrelevant. spending cap wisely have nothing to do with who i rather go with. it gives u flexibiliy and option if poolman signs for 1.5 sure sign him to 4 years. at 2.5? i rather just give him 2 years before he becomes an anchor on the 3rd pair when he's 31-32 at 2.5mil

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Complaining about what you want vs what is available... 

Bit of a no win situation for JB don't you think? 

So say they don't sign Hamonic and Poolman as their cap hit is not worth it (in your opinion) 

We would then have

OEL, Myers Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone and Schenn.  

Is that the D you want to run with this year? Who's the 7th D. Hunt? What happens when a D inevitably gets injured this season? 

I only ask who you would have signed because if there wasn't a better option than Hamonic and Poolman, that's what our D would look like. 

Edited by CanucksJay

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Complaining about what you want vs what is available... 

Bit of a no win situation for JB don't you think? 

So say they don't sign Hamonic and Poolman as their cap hit is not worth it (in your opinion) 

We would then have

OEL, Myers Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone and Schenn.  

Is that the D you want to run with this year? Who's the 7th D. Hunt? What happens when a D inevitably gets injured this season? 

I only ask who you would have signed because if there wasn't a better option than Hamonic and Poolman, that's what our D would look like. 

lol if he wasn't dead set on signing hamonic or poolman he could have made a run for 1 of the other D free agents? or who knows maybe he did and whiff, but regardless they can still sign their poolman but it's still a overpayment and over termed if they wanna sign poolman to 2.5 go ahead sign him for 2 years. u think he's gonna say no i'm going to look elsewhere for a longer contract? like i said i doubt there's team lining up to sign him for 4 years at 2.5mil

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if he wasn't dead set on signing hamonic or poolman he could have made a run for 1 of the other D free agents? or who knows maybe he did and whiff, but regardless they can still sign their poolman but it's still a overpayment and over termed if they wanna sign poolman to 2.5 go ahead sign him for 2 years. u think he's gonna say no i'm going to look elsewhere for a longer contract? like i said i doubt there's team lining up to sign him for 4 years at 2.5mil

Made a run for one of the other free agents? 

Like who? 

You doubt there's a team lining up to give him 4x 2.5? Are you Poolman's agent? How do you know this? 

Maybe JB had to do the extra year to get him? Who really knows? 

I think it's such a waste of time to nitpick a 4d/5d signing which may or may not be an overpayment. As a fan I hope he plays a steady role in our defence. 

I had bigger issues with the Pearson signing but came to terms with it. 

We are completely in the dark on how the negotiations went so I would cut JB some slack. 

Then again, how much did you think Petterson was worth before he signed for 7.35 x 3?

Im pretty sure you shot down someone in the Petterson Hughes thread and said Petterson will not sign a 3 year contract around 7m. 

How did that turn out?

I think the issue I have is, you make statements that sound factual but you have no clue like the majority of us... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Made a run for one of the other free agents? 

Like who? 

You doubt there's a team lining up to give him 4x 2.5? Are you Poolman's agent? How do you know this? 

Maybe JB had to do the extra year to get him? Who really knows? 

I think it's such a waste of time to nitpick a 4d/5d signing which may or may not be an overpayment. As a fan I hope he plays a steady role in our defence. 

I had bigger issues with the Pearson signing but came to terms with it. 

We are completely in the dark on how the negotiations went so I would cut JB some slack. 

Then again, how much did you think Petterson was worth before he signed for 7.35 x 3?

Im pretty sure you shot down someone in the Petterson Hughes thread and said Petterson will not sign a 3 year contract around 7m. 

How did that turn out?

I think the issue I have is, you make statements that sound factual but you have no clue like the majority of us... 

Yup I shot down ppl for saying ep will come in at UNDER 7 as he's NOT WORTH it haven't proven *hit in this league and injury prone. Not the first or last time JB signs a free agent to a contract that's either over paid or over termed. Seem to be 1 every off season anyways.

I make statement? Pretty sure this is a forum to have ur opinion. You don't like it? Move on yet you are hell bent on expanding it and continuing arguing. There's plenty of nhl analyst or ppl that covered the nhl thinks poolman is a questionable signing at the term and money, but that's fine everyone hates the canucks and no one is allowed to have their own opinion. There half the league was bidding for poolman JB won the bidding vancouver have the deepest blue line in the league. There happy? Fit ur narrative?

Yup I shot down ppl for saying ep will come in at UNDER 7 as he's NOT WORTH it haven't proven *hit in this league and injury prone. Not the first or last time JB signs a free agent to a contract that's either over paid or over termed. Seem to be 1 every off season anyways.

I make statement? Pretty sure this is a forum to have ur opinion. You don't like it? Move on yet you are hell bent on expanding it and continuing arguing. There's plenty of nhl analyst or ppl that covered the nhl thinks poolman is a questionable signing at the term and money, but that's fine everyone hates the canucks and no one is allowed to have their own opinion. There half the league was bidding for poolman JB won the bidding vancouver have the deepest blue line in the league. There happy? Fit ur narrative?

You shot down someone that said EP might come in at 3 years at 7m and said EP will not sign a 3 year deal around 7m. (yet he did) 

I think if you positioned your statement as, "I'm concerned we might be overpaying for someone that might end up on 3rd pairing", it's a lot easier to digest than "2.5m for Poolman is an overpayment" 

Analysts "think it might be a questionable signing" is sure better than it is a bad signing and an overpayment. 

Are you understanding what I am saying? 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Poolman won't go for 1.5, especially for 4 years when he's had multiple offers. Come on lmfao. Some people on CDC are squabbling over 1 mill. The term was fine. The amount was fine. The player was fine. Poolman is a good skater with a good shot, with previous experience with Boeser who played with Poolman at UND.

It's also been stated that Brad Shaw specifically targeted Poolman. If he sucks, then that's on Shaw. So far, he looks like he's a good fit with OEL.

You go back to the beginning of the thread and you'll see people complaining about the player, but are unable to string together a paragraph about how he was used, how he looked in different spots, and what his strengths/weaknesses were. It's clear people are simply looking at the dollar amount and have no clue about the player.

lol i'm just saying if he's signing for 1.5 mil ya sure sign him to 4 years 2mil i'd be ok 2.5 for 4 it's too much. just like a lot of u were saying holtby was a great signing last year right? what did we do? oh right we bought him out. Ferland was a great signing too! 3.5mil for 4 years! oh right he sat on the LTIR for like 90% of the contract. we keep signing unknown guys to 4year + contract and what have history taught us so far in benning's tenure? all his 3-4 year + contract in the UFA have been bust for players never played with the team before. literally the only free agent signing benning have made for a new player to the team that's over 2mil or signed to a 3 year + contract regardless of $ that didn't turn into an anchor or a bust was Ryan Miller. Vrbata maybe but he refused to be traded 

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Poolman won't go for 1.5, especially for 4 years when he's had multiple offers. Come on lmfao. Some people on CDC are squabbling over 1 mill. The term was fine. The amount was fine. The player was fine. Poolman is a good skater with a good shot, with previous experience with Boeser who played with Poolman at UND.

It's also been stated that Brad Shaw specifically targeted Poolman. If he sucks, then that's on Shaw. So far, he looks like he's a good fit with OEL.

You go back to the beginning of the thread and you'll see people complaining about the player, but are unable to string together a paragraph about how he was used, how he looked in different spots, and what his strengths/weaknesses were. It's clear people are simply looking at the dollar amount and have no clue about the player.

Lol @Provost

Yeah people need to learn to give players they don't know a chance rather than just talking like they know what they're talking about. I just don't understand why people need to get their panties in a knot when they clearly have no clue what they're talking about to begin with.

If Poolman turns out to not be a good defenseman after a while, then sure: attack at that point. I'm not against that, but there's no point in attacking a player or contract when nothing is known about that player. Maybe Poolman turns out better than we ever hoped and the contract gets praised. That's a possibility. I'm not saying it'll happen that way, but there's a chance.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Yeah people need to learn to give players they don't know a chance rather than just talking like they know what they're talking about. I just don't understand why people need to get their panties in a knot when they clearly have no clue what they're talking about to begin with.

If Poolman turns out to not be a good defenseman after a while, then sure: attack at that point. I'm not against that, but there's no point in attacking a player or contract when nothing is known about that player. Maybe Poolman turns out better than we ever hoped and the contract gets praised. That's a possibility. I'm not saying it'll happen that way, but there's a chance.

That's exactly my point. Buddy is so smart that he knows this is an overpayment by 500k. We are talking about an 81.5m capspace and he doesn't actually know what Poolman brings to the table but the Dubas analytics in him thinks this is a 500k overpayment so he is going to complain. So glad he is a computation wizard. JB should just hire him lol

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

That's exactly my point. Buddy is so smart that he knows this is an overpayment by 500k. We are talking about an 81.5m capspace and he doesn't actually know what Poolman brings to the table but the Dubas analytics in him thinks this is a 500k overpayment so he is going to complain. So glad he is a computation wizard. JB should just hire him lol

Oh 500k? And we were bitching about whether ur star players is worth 7.5mil or 8mil etc etc? Ya 500k is no big deal in the grand scheme of things but 500k here 500k in another guy oh that's 1 mil. 2.5mil sure sign him to a 2 year if he sucks after 1 year its only 1 more if he does good great u have him for 1 more before he hits 30+ and possible decline like most. Hell I'll even say 3 mil at 2 years. It's less risk given JB ufa records. 4 years? What if he doesnt work out after 1 year? Another 2.5mil wasted in what suppose to be the teams go for it seasons with ep bridge? Ok so say he works well for 2 years than after that he's like Jordie benn half the season in the press box? Going by the track record JB hit on 1 ufa in his tenure that was signed to more than 2 years every single one turned out to be buried in the ahl cap dumped or bought out. That is facts. 

22 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Some people on CDC are squabbling over 1 mill. 

Don't remember if you were one of them but wasn't most not some people on cdc squabbling over whether ep is worth 7 or 8mil on a bridge or hughes being worth 1 mil or less than dahlin and were ready to ship them out of town?

Oh 500k? And we were bitching about whether ur star players is worth 7.5mil or 8mil etc etc? Ya 500k is no big deal in the grand scheme of things but 500k here 500k in another guy oh that's 1 mil. 2.5mil sure sign him to a 2 year if he sucks after 1 year its only 1 more if he does good great u have him for 1 more before he hits 30+ and possible decline like most. Hell I'll even say 3 mil at 2 years. It's less risk given JB ufa records. 4 years? What if he doesnt work out after 1 year? Another 2.5mil wasted in what suppose to be the teams go for it seasons with ep bridge? Ok so say he works well for 2 years than after that he's like Jordie benn half the season in the press box? Going by the track record JB hit on 1 ufa in his tenure that was signed to more than 2 years every single one turned out to be buried in the ahl cap dumped or bought out. That is facts. 

Don't remember if you were one of them but wasn't most not some people on cdc squabbling over whether ep is worth 7 or 8mil on a bridge or hughes being worth 1 mil or less than dahlin and were ready to ship them out of town?

Welcome back. Clearly I struck a chord.

Legit, I wasn't happy with the Benn signing either but at the same time 4m is a lot worse than 2.5m. I don't see how Poolman won't be a serviceable player and there are worse things can happen than paying your 5D 2.5m such as sitting 4m (Benn) or even 6m (LE) in the press box. The point currently is, you are complaining about this Poolman signing (topic of this thread). If you want to bash JBs other signings, you can take that to the JB hate thread. 

As for your analysis that poolman is overpaid by 500k, Poolman at 2m vs 2.5m while he occupies 4D or 5D is reasonable. At worst case scenario, we can trade him like Benn. If that's the worst case scenario, what is the best case? He plays well and is a solid 4D or 5D depending on Hamonic and gives this team the luxury of depth to sustain through inuries that inevitably happen every year. 

Have you looked at this year's UFA pool for dmen? 

Now that you have all the facts (what each guy signed for) 

How would you have best created a d unit (D1-D7) while removing Hamonic and Poolman (5.5m)

You have

OEL (again thanks JB. You traded the untradable worthless guys that @wai_lai416 is whining about and got a top pairing D) 

Myers 

Hughes 

Juolevi

Rathbone

Schenn

Bowey

That's a pretty big freefall after 3D.

What 5.5m player would you put in there that makes that defence better and deeper. 

Let's look at the top 5 UFA dmen signed this summer. 

Dougie Hamilton signed for 9m so out of the price range. 

Goligoski signed with his hometown team so no, he wasn't an option

That leaves 

Oleksiak, McCabe and Larsson

Oleksiak and Larsson again, no chance as Seattle took them in expansion draft and signed them

That literally leaves McCabe as the only option. 

You think putting McCabe in (don't know if he would have signed here) while removing 2 quality D men is Hamonic and Poolman will lead to a better product? 

So.... 

OEL 

Hughes

Myers

McCabe 

Juolevi

Schenn

Rathbone / Bowey /Hunt as the 7D?

Are you joking? 

There are only a finite amount of top quality 4D players in the NHL. 

You wanted one but there was none available. 

What are your options?

1) Take your next best options which are getting 2 solid defensemen that have played 4D with their previous teams

Or

2)sit on your hands and do nothing? 

It sounds like you are a proponent of doing nothing as you wouldn't have signed Hamonic and Poolman. 

What happens then in the Petterson and Hughes negotiations? 

I dunno Jim... I wanted  to play for a competitive team but this D core looks AHL level. If you want me to stay on what looks like it'll be a losing team, I'm gonna need more than 7.35...

Plus, if you don't make this team better, within 3 years, I want out. 

Let me guess, once the team defence runs around like there's a tire fire and we start losing games, who are you going to blame? 

I'm sure you're not introspective enough to realize that's the team you wanted to assemble on defence and all be calling for JB's head. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2