The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

That's why this 500k overpayment view is absurd...

I think if he can even make 3rd pairing a really solid one that doesnt need to be sheltered, it's still worth 2.5m

This... he is being paid as a solid #5 who plays 18 minutes a game. If he can be a top 4 that logs 20+ that's a steal. If he plays like he already has thus far in his career he will be at market value.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

This... he is being paid as a solid #5 who plays 18 minutes a game. If he can be a top 4 that logs 20+ that's a steal. If he plays like he already has thus far in his career he will be at market value.

I think most people here don't mind the amount but more the combination of the amount + term. 

I think 4 years for a #5 Dman is a bit too long. Plus with Pettersson and Horvat all needing extension within that period, 2.5 is a lot of money 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

I'm wondering if Poolman plays a lot of 5 on 5 minutes with Hughes.  

again if this was a 2 year contract sure by all means pay him 2.5 pay him even 3mil. what was the theme of canucks lineup problem throughout JB's tenure? we overpay our 3rd and 4th line. 500k here 1mil there another 1mil there they all add up. so instead of powerpaying for 3rd and 4th liners we over pay our defense now. we have the most expensive defense atm in the NHL along with the sharks. don't think anyone can walk in with a straight face and say we have one of the best defense in the league yet we are 32% higher than the league average for what other team pays their defense. one of poolman myer or hamonic is going to be playing the 3rd pairing role i don't see how that's money well spent in the long term.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm wondering if Poolman plays a lot of 5 on 5 minutes with Hughes.  

He might. Looks like Green wants to try out OEL-Myers tonight. If that pairing is decent, I could see them going with Hughes-Poolman until (if) Hamonic is back

• Like 1

Let's hope Poolman can step up and be our new Hamonic!! I think Schenn and Hunt will do fine rotating for the 3rd RHD spot.

It really sucks to be such a cloudy situation just before the season starts with Sutter, Hamonic, Motte, Boeser... but thank goodness we got much better depth now!

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

He might. Looks like Green wants to try out OEL-Myers tonight. If that pairing is decent, I could see them going with Hughes-Poolman until (if) Hamonic is back

I'm kind of thinking Poolman will be a better partner for Quinn than Hamonic.  And OEL/Myers sounds like a good pairing too.  Even without Hamonic I think we are in good shape on D.  

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think most people here don't mind the amount but more the combination of the amount + term. 

I think 4 years for a #5 Dman is a bit too long. Plus with Pettersson and Horvat all needing extension within that period, 2.5 is a lot of money 

I don't know. I don't really think it's a contract that's going to come back to bite us even if he doesn't turn out. It's certainly much better than the LE, Beagle, and Roussel signings.

Just now, The Lock said:

I don't know. I don't really think it's a contract that's going to come back to bite us even if he doesn't turn out. It's certainly much better than the LE, Beagle, and Roussel signings.

True but the overall cap management of the Canucks seems to involve a vicious cycle of signing bad contracts and trading them away for another potentially bad contract (OEL) and signings like Poolman. Which probably could lead to another cycle down the line. 

I think Thomas Drance in Sportsnet brought this up saying Canucks are caught locked into this cycle. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

True but the overall cap management of the Canucks seems to involve a vicious cycle of signing bad contracts and trading them away for another potentially bad contract (OEL) and signings like Poolman. Which probably could lead to another cycle down the line. 

I think Thomas Drance in Sportsnet brought this up saying Canucks are caught locked into this cycle. 

I don't see it as a cycle at all. Let me ask you this: would you prefer to have LE, Beagle, and Roussel contracts still or would you prefer the OEL and Poolman contracts? If any improvement is thought of with all of that.... what is the cycle exactly? A moving up trend?

That being said, I don't like Drance. I think he llike to pull shenanigans for the sake of views and listeners (like much of the other media does mind you).

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't see it as a cycle at all. Let me ask you this: would you prefer to have LE, Beagle, and Roussel contracts still or would you prefer the OEL and Poolman contracts? If any improvement is thought of with all of that.... what is the cycle exactly? A moving up trend?

That being said, I don't like Drance. I think he llike to pull shenanigans for the sake of views and listeners (like much of the other media does mind you).

Im mean 100% the team now looks better (though the D took a a hit w/o Hamonic) but I guess the point is Drance made is that moving forward especially with the Boeser, Horvat, and Pettersson extensions in the upcoming years the team really doesn't have a lot flexibility to improve the team moving forward. 

So yeah Vancouver might make it to the playoffs this season but whose to say in a few years once LA, Seattle, and Edmonton all start to get better? 

Edited by iinatcc

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

That contract should be easy to trade as long as he remains a #5/6 or better

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The only bad cycle there is in my mind is constantly having to take cap hits for players that were cut.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I don’t see it. At all. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Im mean 100% the team now looks better (though the D took a a hit w/o Hamonic) but I guess the point is Drance made is that moving forward especially with the Boeser, Horvat, and Pettersson extensions in the upcoming years the team really doesn't have a lot flexibility to improve the team moving forward. 

So yeah Vancouver might make it to the playoffs this season but whose to say in a few years once LA, Seattle, and Edmonton all start to get better? 

I don't think we should be worrying about a few years time, especially when Poolman's contract isn't even still around by that time.

Sure, we have to resign star players in the coming year, but also look at who's coming off the books: Luongo's 3mil comes off after this year, Myers' contract ends in 3 years. Hamonic's contract ends in 2 years, etc. Also, the cap is likely to go up in those 5 years.

People seems to want to talk about flexibility like it's the holy grail, but keep in mind that having flexibility also means your team likely isn't playing as well as it could. When we were a cup contender 10 years ago, going up against the cap didn't seem like a problem at that point. Why would it be a problem now?

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

again...

Yes...again..WHO would we sign instead for a #5 defender at that price? WHO!!!

I made the font bigger as you simply have not answered who you think we could have signed, for what, and for what term. I get fans think they know more than actual GMs like JB but.......

:lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

Not to mention he can be trusted with 1st unit PK

What's a solid defenseman good on the PK worth? 

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

That contract should be easy to trade as long as he remains a #5/6 or better

I think if contract is 3.5m plus, it might be hard to trade if he doesn't perform as expected but at 2.5m, if he is a 5d (which I think is sustainable for 4 years), I honestly think we can trade him at anytime if we are in need of capsace and young guys like Juolevi and Rathbone have fully developed and ready to take his spot. 

In 2 years, Canucks are going to be a contender and he will be a 5d on a contending team making 2.5m. That contract is not an anchor. 

Benn's 4m was tough to move but Poolman is making almost 40% less and is the better player. 

• Cheers 1