The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think most people here don't mind the amount but more the combination of the amount + term. 

I think 4 years for a #5 Dman is a bit too long. Plus with Pettersson and Horvat all needing extension within that period, 2.5 is a lot of money 

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

That contract should be easy to trade as long as he remains a #5/6 or better

I think if contract is 3.5m plus, it might be hard to trade if he doesn't perform as expected but at 2.5m, if he is a 5d (which I think is sustainable for 4 years), I honestly think we can trade him at anytime if we are in need of capsace and young guys like Juolevi and Rathbone have fully developed and ready to take his spot. 

In 2 years, Canucks are going to be a contender and he will be a 5d on a contending team making 2.5m. That contract is not an anchor. 

Benn's 4m was tough to move but Poolman is making almost 40% less and is the better player. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Yes...again..WHO would we sign instead for a #5 defender at that price? WHO!!!

I made the font bigger as you simply have not answered who you think we could have signed, for what, and for what term. I get fans think they know more than actual GMs like JB but.......

:lol:

#5 defender at 2.5mil? i dunno ask the league there's almost 20+ teams with a #5 highest paid dman at under 1.5mil so obviously they know the price of a #5 defenseman. 

2.5mil u can prolly sign a Nemeth who signed for the same amount? big strong stay at home defensemen? with better offense? less giveaways? plays similar mins? far more experience and only 8 months older? considering nemeth only got 2.5mil on a 3 year deal who i think is equal to poolman defensively and a 12-15 point a year guy. still not sure how poolman is worth the same on a longer contract.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

#5 defender at 2.5mil? i dunno ask the league there's almost 20+ teams with a #5 highest paid dman at under 1.5mil so obviously they know the price of a #5 defenseman. 

2.5mil u can prolly sign a Nemeth who signed for the same amount? big strong stay at home defensemen? with better offense? less giveaways? plays similar mins? far more experience and only 8 months older? considering nemeth only got 2.5mil on a 3 year deal who i think is equal to poolman defensively and a 12-15 point a year guy. still not sure how poolman is worth the same on a longer contract.

I'll be frank with you. I have no idea who this guy is but by taking some time to read, there are definitely some red flags. 

It sounds like he had a super rough playoffs. I believe he made it into bone headed plays of the NHL even... In fact his play has been pretty rough since getting traded to col and Avs fans are glad to see him gone. 

His biggest knocks are suspect defense and poor decision making. 

I think he might be an LD as well in which case none of this matters as we don't need another LD. 

It sounds like the Rags are basically using him as a stop gap to insulate the kids knowing he's gonna get scored on a bunch but at least it protects the kids from having to face that. 

Who knows though. you might be right. What I'm saying is all hearsay. 

If JB was to sign him instead of Poolman, I honestly wouldn't know any better but then there might be your dopleganger complaining we signed a 2m guy to a 2.5m contract lol. 

51 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'll be frank with you. I have no idea who this guy is but by taking some time to read, there are definitely some red flags. 

It sounds like he had a super rough playoffs. I believe he made it into bone headed plays of the NHL even... In fact his play has been pretty rough since getting traded to col and Avs fans are glad to see him gone. 

His biggest knocks are suspect defense and poor decision making. 

I think he might be an LD as well in which case none of this matters as we don't need another LD. 

It sounds like the Rags are basically using him as a stop gap to insulate the kids knowing he's gonna get scored on a bunch but at least it protects the kids from having to face that. 

Who knows though. you might be right. What I'm saying is all hearsay. 

If JB was to sign him instead of Poolman, I honestly wouldn't know any better but then there might be your dopleganger complaining we signed a 2m guy to a 2.5m contract lol. 

oh i'm just throwing out random names out there i'm not against signing the poolman but if this was a 2mil x 4 or even a 3mil x 2 i prolly wouldn't be complaining about it. 500k doesn't seem a lot but 500k may have ended up like a hughes sighing a 7 7.3ish bridge vs a 7.8ish 6 years. it all adds up. poolman and the rest of the canucks D better step up and play some amazing defense for being the leagues most expensive blueline. who knows maybe poolman will turn into a jackpot.. odds are highly unlikely every single 2year + ufa contract benning gives out turns into a buyout/cap dump/ltir right?

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh i'm just throwing out random names out there i'm not against signing the poolman but if this was a 2mil x 4 or even a 3mil x 2 i prolly wouldn't be complaining about it. 500k doesn't seem a lot but 500k may have ended up like a hughes sighing a 7 7.3ish bridge vs a 7.8ish 6 years. it all adds up. poolman and the rest of the canucks D better step up and play some amazing defense for being the leagues most expensive blueline. who knows maybe poolman will turn into a jackpot.. odds are highly unlikely every single 2year + ufa contract benning gives out turns into a buyout/cap dump/ltir right?

I used to feel the same way about Benning. 

I was annoyed with even the Holtby signing because I felt like Demko proved himself in that Vegas series and I didn't think we needed another goalie with a marginally high cap hit. 

I would have rather saved that amount, signed a cheaper backup like Halak and used the savings on a D or even keeping Taffoli. 

I then came around in the beginning of the season when Demko wasn't playing well. Having a vet presence allowed Demko to breathe and escape the scrutiny. Demko finally came around and finished strong and we then had to buy out Holtby which was what I was afraid of from the beginning. 

Here's another thought though. What if we didn't have Holtby and we let Demko sink or swim? Would Demko be the goalie he is today or would his confidence be shattered? Is ensuring our franchise goalie is in the right frame of mind during his first year starting worth the insurance and the potential buyout that came with Holtby? I sometimes wonder if we could have achieved the same thing with someone like Halak from the get go. But I really think JB was trying to make the playoffs last year and thought Holtby was a starting calibre goalie. JB didn't want goaltending to be the issue we lost games.

As for the overpriced vets, they were signed at a time when our youth wasn't good enough and needed insulating (much like Nemeth in NY) 

The landscape of the team has changed quite drastically from then to now. Hughes and Petterson got good really fast. My guess is that originally, Benning might have thought the rebuild would take longer and thought the kids would need protection for more years. If you look at JBs signings this year I don't mind it much at all

Hamonic for 3m

Poolman for 2.5

Sutter for 1

These are all solid deals. Nothing like 

Player Name, Sutter's previous deal, Roussel, Beagle. 

Personally, I think this is Benning's best offseason yet. 

For me, the only questionable one was Pearson but there was so much positive this year in his moves that I want to support JB and hope for the best as the good definitely out weighed the bad by a wide margin. 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I used to feel the same way about Benning. 

I was annoyed with even the Holtby signing because I felt like Demko proved himself in that Vegas series and I didn't think we needed another goalie with a marginally high cap hit. 

I would have rather saved that amount, signed a cheaper backup like Halak and used the savings on a D or even keeping Taffoli. 

I then came around in the beginning of the season when Demko wasn't playing well. Having a vet presence allowed Demko to breathe and escape the scrutiny. Demko finally came around and finished strong and we then had to buy out Holtby which was what I was afraid of from the beginning. 

Here's another thought though. What if we didn't have Holtby and we let Demko sink or swim? Would Demko be the goalie he is today or would his confidence be shattered? Is ensuring our franchise goalie is in the right frame of mind during his first year starting worth the insurance and the potential buyout that came with Holtby? I sometimes wonder if we could have achieved the same thing with someone like Halak from the get go. But I really think JB was trying to make the playoffs last year and thought Holtby was a starting calibre goalie. JB didn't want goaltending to be the issue we lost games.

As for the overpriced vets, they were signed at a time when our youth wasn't good enough and needed insulating (much like Nemeth in NY) 

The landscape of the team has changed quite drastically from then to now. Hughes and Petterson got good really fast. My guess is that originally, Benning might have thought the rebuild would take longer and thought the kids would need protection for more years. If you look at JBs signings this year I don't mind it much at all

Hamonic for 3m

Poolman for 2.5

Sutter for 1

These are all solid deals. Nothing like 

Player Name, Sutter's previous deal, Roussel, Beagle. 

Personally, I think this is Benning's best offseason yet. 

For me, the only questionable one was Pearson but there was so much positive this year in his moves that I want to support JB and hope for the best as the good definitely out weighed the bad by a wide margin. 

Pearson is a solid depth forward with hot streaks.  

losing tofu sucks, I loved his game, but Garland has a similar style and been successful on a bad team.  

thought Podz was very unlucky last night.  Think he lack IQ anymore….?  

I so some bold moves to the net with just a bit better touch that would have been epic.  

more effort in his first pre season so far than in every one of Jakes.  

with an AHL line up behind a solid starting 5 it was a show case game for guys heading down tomorrow.  

We have a PF as a rookie.  

looks like the Legend might know how to scout players.  

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Pearson is a solid depth forward with hot streaks.  

losing tofu sucks, I loved his game, but Garland has a similar style and been successful on a bad team.  

thought Podz was very unlucky last night.  Think he lack IQ anymore….?  

I so some bold moves to the net with just a bit better touch that would have been epic.  

more effort in his first pre season so far than in every one of Jakes.  

with an AHL line up behind a solid starting 5 it was a show case game for guys heading down tomorrow.  

We have a PF as a rookie.  

looks like the Legend might know how to scout players.  

Yup

I am super excited about this team.

I really hope to see all our injured guys back ASAP.

I dont think anyne questioned Podz hockey IQ.  We all wished he would let loose and not worry about being benched for making a mistake and be a bit more aggressive. Yesterday was the first day he's done that and I think it was evident that he is capable of playig like that at th NHL level which is awesome to see.

Maybe Podz is smarter than us.

By playing ultra safe at first, he got the confidence of Green that he wont be a liability and left us wanting more.

Now he is showing the other side of his game.  That sounds like a textbook way to make the team as a rookie. 

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I am of the mindset that 500K isn't going to make much of a difference on the larger contract. 500K isn't going to be that difficult to work around at the end of the day and Hughes literally signed a 6 year deal even with Poolman having 2.5K.

Keep in mind it's really easy to overthink these things. I get it, but ultimatelty overthinking is a means to strive for perfection, which is the arch-nemesis of coming up with good ideas that work. ;)

16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Nemeth has the foot speed of Dana Murzyn. 

Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking of Connor Timmins. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, The Lock said:

I am of the mindset that 500K isn't going to make much of a difference on the larger contract. 500K isn't going to be that difficult to work around at the end of the day and Hughes literally signed a 6 year deal even with Poolman having 2.5K.

Keep in mind it's really easy to overthink these things. I get it, but ultimatelty overthinking is a means to strive for perfection, which is the arch-nemesis of coming up with good ideas that work. ;)

Not sure if I agree with that last statement. 

But I’m not going to make a meal out of it.

• Cheers 1

On 10/5/2021 at 12:30 PM, Alflives said:

I'm wondering if Poolman plays a lot of 5 on 5 minutes with Hughes.  

Bump….so I think it’s fair to say Poolman is a solid RD that compliments high end guys like Hughes and OEL. And with Hamonic out I think his value goes up quite a bit. I kept hearing he’s out of his league in a match up role. Seems to be doing just dandy

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Bump….so I think it’s fair to say Poolman is a solid RD that compliments high end guys like Hughes and OEL. And with Hamonic out I think his value goes up quite a bit. I kept hearing he’s out of his league in a match up role. Seems to be doing just dandy

He's been very solid so far, although I was a fan of the signing originally.