The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

There’s 6 Dmen that play in a game. 

Hope this helps 

What are you on about?

He was saying that Poolman would be fine as a 7th D and promptly listed Hamonic, Myers, and another UFA signing ahead of him on the right side.  I corrected him and told him that wasn't going to be the case.

Reading is hard, I know.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benn was making 2 mil and in the same role.

Id like us to look at trade options now for younger stay at home guys on cheaper contracts.

Someone like Cernak but more attainable.

Someone like Cernak wouldn’t be attainable. 

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Honestly our defence doesn't look bad at all.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Poolman 

If u say so... our D was absolute $&!# show last year.. and if we go to the next season with this it wont be that much better.. 

• Wat 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

We paid Benn to do it.

We still don’t know what Petey and Hughes contracts look like.

There may be more cap for another top 4 in the 2-3 mil range.

Benn was cheaper and on a shorter contract, was signed to be a 5/6 Dman just didn't work out. They giving Poolman #5 Dman money and pretty much the last of our available cap. If he spends more that 5 games in the press box not due to injury we are in trouble.  

1 minute ago, AV. said:

What are you on about?

He was saying that Poolman would be fine as a 7th D and promptly listed Hamonic, Myers, and another UFA signing ahead of him on the right side.  I corrected him and told him that wasn't going to be the case.

Reading is hard, I know.

So it didn’t help? Darn, I was really hoping I was helping there 

Don't know what the fuss is about. Obviously a bottom pairing signing to help steady Rathbone and/or OJ and 2-3 mil is fine for that purpose at the moment.

I understand some hoped for a splash RD signing but with all the skill we have at LD Myers/hamonic/pool man is actually a decent complement. If OEL and QH play to their potential it's actually quite savvy.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would still like to add another top 4 D man.

Poolman can fill the role that Benn did the last couple years.

The way I see things now.

OEL - UFA/Trade

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi Poolman

Need a better top 4 guy IMO

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Think its going to be tough to add that type of Dman this year, given the market & our expendable asset situation.

Hughes - Hamonic

OEL - Myers/Poolman

Rathbone - Poolman/Myers

This is how I see it shaking out, and hopefully next year we can look at Manson/Parayko. 

I think it probably largely is what it is... maybe still adding Schenn as 7th.

But in theory, if we could just squeeze in Hakanpaa...

Hughes, Hamonic

OEL, Hakanpaa

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone, Poolman

Would be a pretty rock solid D.

48 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

We needed a big body Defensive D that plays a rough game and can help Hughes and Rathbone. Good deal.

Relax SN650, its a 4x2.5M not a 6x6

oh no sigh GIF by BBC

That's certainly how he seemed to me watching games against the 'Peg in recent years.  Just fine for bottom pairing and could fill in middle pairing if needed.

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Benn also didn't have 4 years on his deal.

I like Cernak but Tampa loves him more.  No chance we get a deal done there, cap problems or not.  I'd say they'd move McDonagh before they move Cernak.

Think Poolman is a better player & better fit than Benn.

Hes played higher up Winnipeg's lineup, not saying that's ideal, but Benn was on the same team & never came close to that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Struggles offensively and defensively. 7th percentile league wide for underlying numbers. Jets fans say he is a 7th defenseman, other sources say he is an ok 6th dman. 

At $775K the Athletic gave his performance a "C+". Not sure how this guy got anything over 1 million dollars, but it is Jim Benning we are talking about. Where were the Sedins? I thought they were supposed to be babysitting him from signing guys we either have to buy out or pay to trade later. 

Quick snap shot of his underlying numbers. The only positive is that he sucked playing tough minutes and played with top players. Sounds like this is the guy we got to play with Hughes :sick:

image.thumb.png.cc824f2535ceb4105a096396def61fbc.png

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1