The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he plays like he did in 2019-20 then yeah this could be a good contract. 

Yeah he struggled with COVID and injuries last season but you’d think you’d be able to get him on a bit more of a lesser deal. 

This may sound high-strung but cap is a premium nowadays with the flat cap. You need as many good-value deals as you can get. 

They must have really liked him in the playoffs last season as he was better and relied upon more there. 

Like OEL gotta take the wait and see approach on this. 

The money isn't too bad, but it's weird he got a 4 year deal. Especially after his struggles last season. But it was a depleted blueline and he was forced into a situation he wasn't suited for. As long as he stays on the 3rd pair, all he really needs to do is insulate Rathbone and Juolevi as they rotate in and out of that 3rd pair LD spot.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So "he's an NHL player" is your reasoning?

You're a forum poster; therefore, so many people against you means you don't make good posts. Similar logic but is it true?

Lol what?  I'm saying he's an NHL player and people have watched him play to determine he's not a top 4 guy.  Surely, if he was good enough for a top 4 role, Winnipeg would have looked at extending him first before trading assets for TWO other top 4 defenders?

But yeah, sure, whatever, go off brotha.

21 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

People complaining about the price or whether he could have been had for cheaper. 

It’s free agency y’all!!!

You overpay and the fact we paid what we did is ample evidence that we could not have gotten the players for less!

We needed a ton of defensive big RD players. Pretty damn specific requirements and mission accomplished. 

I care not one bit that he has no points. We have loads of offensive talent on the other side of the ice and this will allow them to go all out on the attack while guys like this cover their back. 

Jim did a pretty damn good job at picking up what we needed.  We still have plenty of money for our RFAs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, AV. said:

Lol what?  I'm saying he's an NHL player and people have watched him play to determine he's not a top 4 guy.  Surely, if he was good enough for a top 4 role, Winnipeg would have looked at extending him first before trading assets for TWO other top 4 defenders?

But yeah, sure, whatever, go off brotha.

Like I said, I need proof on it. I'm not going to just take your word on it. :)

I'm even reserved on whether or not he's a good player. I'm waiting to see proof on if he's a good player or a bad player. Your word kind of means nothing to me in that regard.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

More attainable would mean they’re not as good ;)

I mean big youngish stay at home guys. Last time I checked Hakanpaa isn’t signed yet either.

For all we know they already spoke to him and got a hell no. Lots of players don’t want to play in Canada and it isn’t like we played like a world-beater team last year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Like I said, I need proof on it. I'm not going to just take your word on it. :)

I'm even reserved on whether or not he's a good player. I'm waiting to see proof on if he's a good player or a bad player. Your word kind of means nothing to me in that regard.

Watch video, read his analytics, there's so much proof out there.

I'm not saying he's an awful player but I am suggesting that for his contract and the role the Canucks are going to use him in, it's a gamble.  It's a gamble the Canucks have tried before with other players and have often come up short, leading to fans saying the same old "hindsight" argument.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 3

Just now, AV. said:

I'm not saying he's an awful player but I am suggesting that for his contract and the role the Canucks are going to use him in, it's a gamble.  It's a gamble the Canucks have tried before with other players and have often come up short, leading to fans saying the same old "hindsight" argument.

Tell you what. I'll agree that it's a gamble.

However, I'm going to disagree if there's any expectations that he will fail at this point because, again, there's no real proof and every acquisition is going to be different. There's speculation based on his role in Winnipeg, but it's just speculation and not enough to form a solid opinion at the end of the day in my opinion.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Lmfao, funny how you're doing all your nitpicking in this thread and ignoring the other signings.

Anti-Bennings never change.

Hope this helps.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Tell you what. I'll agree that it's a gamble.

However, I'm going to disagree if there's any expectations that he will fail at this point because, again, there's no real proof and every acquisition is going to be different. There's speculation based on his role in Winnipeg, but it's just speculation and not enough to form a solid opinion at the end of the day in my opinion.

Fair enough.

I've seen underwhelming defenceman like Gudbranson, Myers, etc be used in roles they aren't suited for.  I wish the best for Poolman but I will not be shocked to see him a bit out of his depth at most times.  Not his fault though, that falls on management.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Lmfao, funny how you're doing all your nitpicking in this thread and ignoring the other signings.

Anti-Bennings never change.

Hope this helps.

What are you on about?

I've already praised the Sutter and Halak signings.  I broke the news on here of Schenn's signing.  The other signings are depth signings.  I'm focusing my attention here because that's where I'm being quoted the most.  This has nothing to do with an anti-Benning agenda.

You're so weird lmfao.

• RoughGame 1

Some of you are unbelievable in your homerism.  This group has an awful track record on UFA signings, to the point where we are giving up 9 OA picks and buying out recent contracts to undue moves like this....

I'm not saying we need to get the pitchforks out but posters here have the right to be leery and skeptical.  Between media reaction, objective comments from Jets fans, advanced analytics stats, and just the easy stats overview tests....we have a right to be concerned with this signing.  Obviously we will wait it out and hope for the best.  My biggest problem with this signing is the term.  These $2.5+ contracts that get doled out like candy over the last 5 years add up and make it difficult to give raises and bring in quality down the road.

I hope it works out and it turns out to be a bargain signing.  That would be wonderful.  But by all accounts he is a bottom pairing guy and $2.5m seems steep.  Last year we signed Hamonic at the very end of free agency and got him on a nice short term low cost deal. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Fair enough.

I've seen underwhelming defenceman like Gudbranson, Myers, etc be used in roles they aren't suited for.  I wish the best for Poolman but I will not be shocked to see him a bit out of his depth at most times.  Not his fault though, that falls on management.

They were under Baumers tutelage 

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The money isn't too bad, but it's weird he got a 4 year deal. Especially after his struggles last season. But it was a depleted blueline and he was forced into a situation he wasn't suited for. As long as he stays on the 3rd pair, all he really needs to do is insulate Rathbone and Juolevi as they rotate in and out of that 3rd pair LD spot.

From JBs POV I think he gave term so that he can prove himself a little more here and eventually potentially be a tradeable asset in the future. He also has a stable transition piece on the right side when both Schenn and Hamonic contracts expire. 

From Poolman’s POV I think he wanted come to Van to be closer to the PoOLpArTY in EDM!!! Blood is only a little bit thicker than water.