The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

Just now, cdgraham said:

To anyone saying "same old mistakes" this is for 2.5 million which is less then what beagle and Roussell got, and he is 28 as well not in his 30s so makes more sense. Was 4th in ice time amongst all players for a playoff team that made the 2nd round, and beat connor McDavid to boot. Also need right hand D. 

This is a far better signing then any of the contracts people will say he is making the same mistake as. 

His contract is pretty buy out friendly as well if things dont work out in the last 1-2 years.

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

They were under Baumers tutelage 

Was Gudbranson under Baumgartner's tutelage when he was a dud in Florida.  How about when he bounced around between PIT, ANA, OTT, and NSH?

How about when Winnipeg fans laughed themselves to the death when Myers left them?  Was Baumer coaching him then?

• Wat 1

Just now, RWJC said:

From JBs POV I think he gave term so that he can prove himself a little more here and eventually potentially be a tradeable asset in the future. He also has a stable transition piece on the right side when both Schenn and Hamonic contracts expire. 

From Poolman’s POV I think he wanted come to Van to be closer to the PoOLpArTY in EDM!!! Blood is only a little bit thicker than water. 

I also think he wants some stability and continuity in the 5/6 pairing, rather than the carousel of cheap guys in and out.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

His contract is pretty buy out friendly as well if things dont work out in the last 1-2 years.

That's not a good thing.  I get that you're used to it because we buy-out people all the time here but good teams don't usually have to buy-out their signings and admit mistakes.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

That's not a good thing.  I get that you're used to it because we buy-out people all the time here but good teams don't usually have to buy-out their signings and admit mistakes.

Actually it is a good thing in case it doesn't work out. Try and spin it is a negative but the reality is its better then if it wasn't. Therefor it's a positive. 

Also teams buyout players all the time

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

There's buyouts, all around the league, every year. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, cdgraham said:

Actually it is a good thing in case it doesn't work out. Try and spin it is a negative but the reality is its better then if it wasn't. Therefor it's a positive. 

Also teams buyout players all the time

Point to me some examples of good teams buying out their players as frequently as Vancouver does.

I'm happy to wait.

• Haha 1

Just now, AV. said:

Point to me some examples of good teams buying out their players as frequently as Vancouver does.

I'm happy to wait.

MTL, NJD, TBL, NYR, TOR, EDM have more. Canucks are average. TBH it feels like I waited a lifetime for Canucks to use their buyouts well.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Was Gudbranson under Baumgartner's tutelage when he was a dud in Florida.  How about when he bounced around between PIT, ANA, OTT, and NSH?

How about when Winnipeg fans laughed themselves to the death when Myers left them?  Was Baumer coaching him then?

How about Graves and Cernak both were nobodies with there originally team until they got to there new teams; or Schmidt in Vegas vs Vancouver.

My point: we are only speculating based on the past and if he clicks with the staff - then he might be a solid add; time will tell.   Secondly, coaching is the other side of the equation when trying build a roster - I am more critical of the staff and there ability to put it altogether but Shaws’ addition has me hopeful (based on his reputation as a defensive coach & developing defencemen)

I get it and give it a season but it seems like you had made up your mind in regards to JB long before today.

18 minutes ago, AV. said:

I'm happy to wait.

Canucks have had 3 since 2019. So has Ottawa. Rangers have had 4. Same time frame Philly, Nashville, Minny, Florida, and Edmonton have all had 2. You extend that list to include 2018 and about 4 more teams make the list at 2 buy outs and a number jump up to tie the Canucks at 3.

Of the 3 Canuck buyouts, all 3 were extremely easy contracts to buy out in. In contrast other teams around the league are getting hit much harder then the Canucks. Buy outs are a tool in the league for a reason, and Canucks have used them better then many of the team's I have listed.

Hope this helps.

Edited by shayster007
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Graves and Cernak were rookies.  Schmidt was pretty under-utilized in Washington and most Capitals fans didn't really like Trotz using Orpik over him.  Regardless, he wasn't being paid 2.5M over 4 years upon joining Vegas as an "unknown"

I do wish well to Poolman.  Like I said, it isn't his fault he got offered what he got offered.  With that said, I've seen this song and dance get played out before.  It reeeallly doesn't end well.

• Cheers 2