The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

55 minutes ago, AV. said:

Because we don't want to be middling forever.  We want to trend towards being a top team and cup contender.  In any event, why bring up Minnesota.  Guerin didn't sign those contracts.  In our case, Benning has signed the contracts he has bought out (the exception being Ryan Spooner).

Again, I'm not faulting the buy-outs.  I'm faulting the principle of using buy-outs frequently.  Please read.

The principle of using the buyout is pretty straight forward.  It is to create cap space.  As long as the owner is okay with it what exactly is the problem?  There are other ways to create cap space like adding sweeteners to bad contracts to move them or to use the Tampa model and trade for LTIR contracts.  Every team in the league is using one of these methods to create cap space.  Does it matter which one is used?

• Hydration 1

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

nothing to like about him whatsoever!

sounds like another case of you knowing nothing about a player (you didn't know who Dickinson was either - which pretty much indicates what a weekend warrior your are where the NHL is concerned )

doesn't stop  you from parroting whatever you hear from your smarmy twitter 'sources'.

Go somewhere and whine about how foundational Gudbranson and Beagle really are and how unfair it is that no one gets things like you do... but you just don't get recognition for your brilliance.

You have repeatedly been shown by objective reality to know less than random Twitter people, never mind actual plugged in folks who know the game and get paid for their services.

I don't pretend to know things I don't know.  I don't know much of anything about Dickenson... shrug.  It is pretty telling about your immaturity that you somehow consider that culpable ignorance.  You don't know anything about A LOT of players and hockey matters.  History has been pretty bleak on that front for you.  Same goes for all of us.  The difference is most folks admit that, whereas you pretend you know things you don't and then slag off other posters based on your own self aggrandizement and some weird personally imagined authority and knowledge base.  

We gave term and money to a 28 year old who barely managed to get any NHL experience since he was drafted (which was as an over ager as he was passed over initially in the draft), spent a lot of time over the last 3 years in the press box, and has had below replacement value when he was on the ice. 

Maybe he turns out OK, I hope to heck he does... but we are paying him like he already has.  Pretty even money at this point that he sits half the season in favour of Schenn.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Brad Shaw has his work cut out for him. This D core looks pretty sketchy, might be asking a lot.

It is certainly patched together, but I'll withhold judgement until I see the fail. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Way to go Benning!  GM of the year coming his way.  Damn I’m loving this signing.  

He'll have to get recognized of this team goes from the dumps of last year to a playoff team this year lol

Pretty funny that he could be the only gm of the year that has a fan base calling for his job

Edited by goblix
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

@AV.
Has spent way more time arguing in this thread than actually putting in the time to look at the overall lineup.

Again, the only thing some of these posters are doing is repeating the old anti-Benning arguments, without actually acknowledging the big steps taken in the positive light.

Some ppl rather that the Canucks suck just to take free shots at the GM, than to actually cheer for the team they purportedly support.

HOPE THIS HELPS

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Not one positive post about the team here we have one of those none rose coloured glasses fellas that love the Canucks but can’t find anything good to say about them or Benning :ph34r:

I am positive and happy about the forwards and our goatlending.  We have a versatile, young awesome group up front that I'm very excited and enthused about.  Team can run 3 scoring lines or the previous top 6 / bottom 6 approach. 

The defense is horrific though and this contract sucks.  

• Hydration 1

32 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

I like most of what Jim has done today and the Garland deal but this isn't very good. No reason to pay that term for a replacement level d-man.

The right side is still quite bad.

I'd wait to see what Poolman looks like in this lineup before calling him a 'replacement level d-man' - which is entirely misrepresentative of his role in Winnipeg - where he played a more significant role than Dylan DeMelo, a veteran RHD who averaged 20 minutes the previous 4 seasons - signed to a 4 x 3 million deal....

My concern with the right side is not Poolman - it's bringing back Hamonic if the intent is to pair him with Hughes - he'll need to be considerably better imo.

Edited by oldnews
  • Hydration 2
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

I am positive and happy about the forwards and our goatlending.  We have a versatile, young awesome group up front that I'm very excited and enthused about.  Team can run 3 scoring lines or the previous top 6 / bottom 6 approach. 

The defense is horrific though and this contract sucks.  

How is it horrific?

Hamonic is proven RD that just mellows the unsteadiness of the offensive D men we have. We also have Poolman who the Vancouver Canucks are banking can step up. Not a horrible contract, but I do question the amount. Then you have pieces like Schenn that are just bargains and we KNOW what he brings to the lineup.

The theme is insulation and the defense are very well insulated by stay at home defensemen.

• Hydration 2