The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

5 minutes ago, mll said:

LTIR is a negative - there's nothing positive to be unable to bank cap space and limit roster flexibility.  

Seabrook is a negative but taking him back lowered the cost to move Johnson.  

that trade is getting some of the most bizarre woosh takes I've ever seen.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

Go somewhere and whine about how foundational Gudbranson and Beagle really are and how unfair it is that no one gets things like you do... but you just don't get recognition for your brilliance.

You have repeatedly been shown by objective reality to know less than random Twitter people, never mind actual plugged in folks who know the game and get paid for their services.

I don't pretend to know things I don't know.  I don't know much of anything about Dickenson... shrug.  It is pretty telling about your immaturity that you somehow consider that culpable ignorance.  You don't know anything about A LOT of players and hockey matters.  History has been pretty bleak on that front for you.  Same goes for all of us.  The difference is most folks admit that, whereas you pretend you know things you don't and then slag off other posters based on your own self aggrandizement and some weird personally imagined authority and knowledge base.  

We gave term and money to a 28 year old who barely managed to get any NHL experience since he was drafted (which was as an over ager as he was passed over initially in the draft), spent a lot of time over the last 3 years in the press box, and has had below replacement value when he was on the ice. 

Maybe he turns out OK, I hope to heck he does... but we are paying him like he already has.  Pretty even money at this point that he sits half the season in favour of Schenn.

Poolman played in all 8 Winnipeg playoff games last year and averaged over 22 minute a night in the Montreal series. That’s what a top 4 Dman would be doing. 

Winnipeg went a different route and chose to sign Schmidt and trade for Dillon. We chose to go for Poolman as he fits our needs for a RHD truculent Dman more so than Schmidt who is basically replaced in the lineup by OEL. 

I’m sure there was a market for Poolman. Big truculent RHD under the age of 30 don’t grow on trees. Oleksiak signed for almost double the price. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

They should have gone after Zadorov as Calgary got him for a 3rd rounder 

Depends on how much his next contract would cost. If reasonable, then he'd be an upgrade. But I do suspect he'd probably want a salary we couldn't afford.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Poolman played in all 8 Winnipeg playoff games last year and averaged over 22 minute a night in the Montreal series. That’s what a top 4 Dman would be doing. 

Winnipeg went a different route and chose to sign Schmidt and trade for Dillon. We chose to go for Poolman as he fits our needs for a RHD truculent Dman more so than Schmidt who is basically replaced in the lineup by OEL. 

I’m sure there was a market for Poolman. Big truculent RHD under the age of 30 don’t grow on trees. Oleksiak signed for almost double the price. 

BB is that u?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

They should have gone after Zadorov as Calgary got him for a 3rd rounder 

Lmfao. You do realize what his contract with be right? 5 mill bud.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I swear, I think Weisbrod did all the deals except this one. Maybe Weisbrod went to the washroom and Benning broke out of his leash to do this deal. The signings they did today were pretty much all sensible, a year to a few years term, fair dollar amount and for some reason the Poolman deal is the only outlier. Its a Jim Benning special, overpay for a scrub with term

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5
  • RoughGame 1

18 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

None of these players can play against the other teams top lines.  Hamonic was ok last year but would be much better suited to the bottom pairing...Poolman is also a bottom pairing guy.  Myers is an ok #4 defenceman who also struggles with poor defensive coverage.  Even though everyone is saying OEL is a top pairing D - he hasn't been for like 3 years.  He's been bad defensively too - I hope he can rebound here but there's no guarantee.  It's just a weird hodge podge of ill-fitting parts and players playing further up the depth chart than they should.  I know people don't like graphs or statistics on this site but the WAR for the defense as a whole is last in the NHL.  I'm not sure I'd go that far but it's definitely bottom 5 in the league.  

I don't give a crap about WAR or any of that garbage as long as the on ice results are better.  Hamonic played a lot better once he shook the rust off.  Myers is a lot better than the analytics dweebs like to think, as is OEL.  We now also have Shaw to minimize the damage Baumgartner can do.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

Just now, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

The Canucks only gained $10 Million in cap space with the Schmidt trade and Holtby buy out so $4-$5 Million is fine

I would be laughing too at your mathematical skills 

Considering you've probably spent all your time arguing in one thread and ignored the other threads, it's safe to say that you don't have any intention of talking about Canucks hockey. You're more interested in criticizing certain deals lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I don't give a crap about WAR or any of that garbage as long as the on ice results are better.  Hamonic played a lot better once he shook the rust off.  Myers is a lot better than the analytics dweebs like to think, as is OEL.

Lol ok then.  But the on ice results were not great last year - we were 6th in GA.  That's a nice simple stat that folks can't ignore or dismiss.  Do you think getting rid of our two best even strength defenders in Edler and Schmidt is going to help our goals against? Stranger things have happened but it seems pretty unlikely.  

21 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

None of these players can play against the other teams top lines.  Hamonic was ok last year but would be much better suited to the bottom pairing...Poolman is also a bottom pairing guy.  Myers is an ok #4 defenceman who also struggles with poor defensive coverage.  Even though everyone is saying OEL is a top pairing D - he hasn't been for like 3 years.  He's been bad defensively too - I hope he can rebound here but there's no guarantee.  It's just a weird hodge podge of ill-fitting parts and players playing further up the depth chart than they should.  I know people don't like graphs or statistics on this site but the WAR for the defense as a whole is last in the NHL.  I'm not sure I'd go that far but it's definitely bottom 5 in the league.  

Bottom pairing Dmen don’t play 22 minutes a night in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 4

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

There you go. That’s why he got $2.5 million. Guys who can play 22 minutes a night in the playoffs don’t sign for minimum wage. 

Market value on this one and discounts on the rest.  Some people just can't accept when Benning does a good job.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Dazzle said:

Considering you've probably spent all your time arguing in one thread and ignored the other threads, it's safe to say that you don't have any intention of talking about Canucks hockey. You're more interested in criticizing certain deals lol.

Are you still butt hurt because you don’t understand how a scouting director does their job?

I seem to have moved on with my life, but you are still living in the discussion board from days ago that you have to go and react to all my posts with the paper bag reaction so I hope some day you can move on and stop being the troll under the Canucks forum.