The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

Just now, Johnny Torts said:

I do not think we are getting Pettersson for 7.5, not long term atleast. I hope we can but &^@#, the guy is so good. 

Hoping he agrees to a short term deal. Im thinking 7.5 is fair for such a deal, given Brayden Point got 9.5 - Point had more GPG over the past 3 years, won a stanley cup, and EP was injured a lot of last season. 

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Let's be fair the folks in Sportsnet 650 has made similar concerns that this is an overpayment in terms of term and/or money 

the clods on sn650 are the least informed, least insightful buffoons in this market. 

if you're using their takes as a barometer, you're doing it wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, The Listening said:

We couldn't sign Vatanen? I'm not sure if I like going into the season with our right defence looking like this.

Myers

Hamonic 

Poolman

Schenn

Unless there is something that I am missing about Poolman, but I would've like to see Benning sign Vatanen, Gustafsson, Smith or Hakanpaa.

Re-watch some of the Winnipeg/Montreal playoff games - you'll be stoked :)

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Believe it or not keeping goals out of the net is worth just as much as goals scored… he played against the best players in Canada last year and did one heck of a job. 

Agreed.  What a stupid metric to measure the performance of a defensive player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jeff O’Neill from TSN?  

yes - lol.  shocker eh.  not my go-to guy for takes tbh lol - but he made a few good points - ie people in general are sleeping on OEL, and Garland is a beauty.

basically, he liked the deal with Zona fwiw - and thinks the young core is better than the results this year suggest (anyone that paid any attention to the team this year ought to realize that there were a whole lot of negative, mitigating factors - not the least of which was 22 players with covid...).

I'm not sure they are the most improved as a result of their moves, but they could achieve some of the most improved results by virtue of how low this season set the bar.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 3

Just now, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  What a stupid metric to measure the performance of a defensive player.

Yup. That's why I like looking at a comparison of the CF of Morrissey with and without Poolman. Morrissey was downright tragic without Poolman beside him. Kind of says it all. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Yup. That's why I like looking at a comparison of the CF of Morrissey with and without Poolman. Morrissey was downright tragic without Poolman beside him. Kind of says it all. 

Personally I prefer watching the games than advanced stats, but to each their own.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

As I said, replacement level.

Someone put those graphs together.  Apparently Edler was, like, a 70 and Schmidt was a 45 or something. 

Then OEL and Poolman were… 7 and 3%.  So…. a 50-ish% drop. 

The AAV on the contracts are about the same.  Do people really think we’re about to be getting half as effective play?  

When you think about these jfresh WAR charts it’s just mind-numbingly reductive that they’re rolled out on their own.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Hoping he agrees to a short term deal. Im thinking 7.5 is fair for such a deal, given Brayden Point got 9.5 - Point had more GPG over the past 3 years, won a stanley cup, and EP was injured a lot of last season. 

Let’s hope.

But everyone, let’s not forget that YES, Elias was injured most of our recent memory, but when he was playing and all throughout his career he’s been pegged to get a deal north of 9.

For the teams sake I hope it’s less and I do think someone like Pettersson will take some what of a pay cut playing in his draft town, sponsors and what not. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

O'Neill just chose Vancouver as the team he thinks improved the most thus far this offseason....

Oh no, I was so sure we were on the right track until I saw this ;-) or could it be Jeff has his bright moments after all...

• Haha 2

Dreger calling the Coil the most improved team this offseason...

After adding a couple former Leafs and Duncan Keith....

I like Hyman - but adding Ceci while losing Larsson and Bear - adding Keith while Klefbom appears to be a question mark...

Not sure I'd be too excited about anything in Edmonton aside from what Hyman brings to a team that desperately needed help on the wing.

• Haha 2

Just now, oldnews said:

I like Hyman - but adding Ceci while losing Larsson and Bear - adding Keith while Klefbom appears to be a question mark...

Not sure I'd be too excited about anything in Edmonton aside from what Hyman brings to a team that desperately needed help on the wing.

Mike Sieve will have his work cut out for him with that defense in front of him.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

It’s BSN, they hate Vancouver. 

I meant TSN.