The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

What are my assumptions? What is my bias?

Again - what in that post did I say that was incorrect?

You have no idea how Green will utilize Poolman. You made an assumption to justify whining about it while pretending that you were willing to be patient.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can we at least see how everyone does in camp, and actually play, before we start designated whipping boys?

Is that asking too much of Canuck fans? I know it probably is and asking this probably brands me as a Heretic, but could we try that at least????

;)

What a crazy idea this is.

Get that clear logic out of here! 

I mean come on.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Podz19 said:

Jeez we must love our Canucks if Poolman, who's a 5/6/7 dman has 39 pages already LOL

From what I gather it's just a game of Joust in this thread now...

Some players are missing an Ostrich though. 

QYCMwQ9.gif.375094f2f9acc314b81de2e1475006a4.gif

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Podz19 said:

Jeez we must love our Canucks if Poolman, who's a 5/6/7 dman has 39 pages already LOL

someone didn't read the thread.

and/or is relatively new here.

for reference:  half of CDC loses it's mind whenever there's a deal it doesn't like.

Miller

Motte/Vanek

Shinkaruk/Granlund

Hodgson/Kassian

Luongo

etc

etc

all classics.

these threads grow like a wildfire....and it's not  exactly 'love' that drives it.

• Haha 3

The Canucks are following the Tampa Bay system by having a solid puck-mover on the left side and a depth defensive defenseman on the right side.

Tampa Bay had a left defense of Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev. They were paired with Rutta, Cernak, and Foote/Schenn.

The Canucks are doing the exact same thing. The team has Hughes, OEL, Rathbone and Juolevi as the puck-movers, and Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, and Schenn as the depth defensive defensemen.

I don't like the term of this deal but we'll see how it goes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can we at least see how everyone does in camp, and actually play, before we start designated whipping boys?

Is that asking too much of Canuck fans? I know it probably is and asking this probably brands me as a Heretic, but could we try that at least????

;)

the people doing that aren't fans of the team, they are addicted to the buzz of being angry about Benning. It really needs its own classification in the APA manual. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

the people doing that aren't fans of the team, they are addicted to the buzz of being angry about Benning. It really needs its own classification in the APA manual. 

Any official documents you got that claim you are the judge of who is a true fan and who isn't?

Or is gatekeeping just a hobby that a lot of people on this board love to engage in?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Any official documents you got that claim you are the judge of who is a true fan and who isn't?

Or is gatekeeping just a hobby that a lot of people on this board love to engage in?

yes, when someone is obsessed with hating Benning thats a good start. 

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes, when someone is obsessed with hating Benning thats a good start. 

Or you can try to come up with some sort of legitimate rebuttal.

Or just resort to random emojis and gifs whenever you lose an argument like @oldnews

You know, whatever works.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Or you can try to come up with some sort of legitimate rebuttal.

Or just resort to random emojis and gifs whenever you lose an argument like @oldnews

You know, whatever works.

Or make up that you won the argument. You know, whatever works. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh come on. You know there's a hardcore small group on here, much bigger one on twitter that explodes in anger at the mention of anything Benning does. 

Take this signing for e.g. Its not a big enough number to lose one's mind over and yet.... 

Its taking a bet on a guy thats looked like a solid player since his UND time. Its a bet on buying low that he'll become a defensive 2nd pairing RHD. But reading and hearing some of the comments its like we just signed Sbisa to a 7 mil AAV.

I don't know, I'm not losing my mind. Again, re-read my original post in this thread. I don't see how that it's in any way over the top.

17 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

You should re-read my original post.

People here are so quick to jump on anything that isn't full-out pom-pom waving all reading comprehension and logic goes out the window.

Relax, and engage in discourse. It's supposed to be a discussion board, after all.

Let's look at the facts:

- 28 year-old with 120 NHL games

- Nothing about his traditional or advanced stats suggest he's very good

- Eye-test reports from Jets fans say that he's big with tools but may not have the toolbox; currently a depth player but perhaps a #4 ceiling

- He has been deployed in a role tougher than what he can handle; with easier minutes he may/should perform better

Tell me if anything above is inaccurate? I just don't see why a player like this deserves the contract we gave him.

But again - if he finds his groove here in the role we probably have set out for him (3rd pair / 2nd PK DFD) then he'll earn the contract.

This isn't an Eriksson, Beagle, Gudbranson or Sbisa type contract where you know it's stupid from day 1. It's just that the price seems high based on the resume.

As it was reported, there were about 12 teams interested.  Did JB overpay?  Possibly YES in order to get the guy they wanted.  Maybe it was an extra year.  Maybe it was that extra 500k.  Who knows.  At the end of the day we got a solid bottom 6 RHD.

Tell me what other RHD Canucks should have targeted and at a cheaper price?

As I mentioned before, I would have liked it better if it was $2M x 4yr.  But we may not have gotten him at that price.

• Cheers 2

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I don't know, I'm not losing my mind. Again, re-read my original post in this thread. I don't see how that it's in any way over the top.

I didn't actually single you out, you responded to something I posted to Vegas. 

I'm really happy with all the things Benning has accomplished, other than the dead cap for next season. Pretty much guarantees LTIR use for two years but given the quality of the F group now in particular thats palatable, and a strategy a lot of teams are going to use while the cap stays flat. 

• Cheers 1