The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Yes, it's the logical fan's fault for not liking awful, buyout candidate from the second they are signed contracts.

How dare us.

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Not sure why Benning is so in love with giving depth players term in free agency but it is what it is.

Don't love this deal but willing to reserve judgement. If he and Rathbone can find chemistry on the 3rd pair it'll look good.

Yeah, covered your bases at the end but it is not hard to see what you're doing, as usual.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

We will have to wait and see. 

OEL played on a crap AZ team.  Poolman played above his targeted minutes.  I think they will do well in certain roles that they will now have with the Canucks.  But that's just my opinion/hope.

*fingers crossed*

:)

I have no problem with Poolman as a bottom pairing guy. Not in love with the money or term, but he seems like the type of player that a winner should be playing on their bottom pair. 

My problem is the trickle down, or rather trickle up effect on the blueline. I'm sorry, but if Myers is on your top pairing, you're in trouble.

What's especially frustrating is seeing the blueline in such rough shape after the efforts Benning has gone through to improve the roster this offseason. We were so close to actually being in a position to do some damage, but with the blueline looking the way it does I just don't see it. We needed a legitimate top 4 to play alongside OEL, not an expensive bottom pairing guy that would force Myers into a top pairing position.

• Vintage 1

Why can’t we just bite the bullet and give up assets for a top RHD. We had the cap to do it and it seems this team is destined to have holes in the RHD for as long as the franchise exists. The only disappointment with creating all this cap.

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

ITT: "giving a depth player term" = sh*tting all over it  / worst-case scenario.

ok.

sometimes you need to take risks to improve. Worked for MTL and Chiarot. 

Is there something specific in Poolmans game that makes you think he can't rise to be a 4/5 d? 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Interesting you conveniently ignored the other quote. 

That quote had nothing to do with this signing. It was the regarding the other players he listed.

Again, reading comprehension... try to follow along.

People here are so blinded by their love for the beloved leader they just get their defenses up instantly instead of trying to have a discussion.

Lay off the kool-aid.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

That quote had nothing to do with this signing. It was the regarding the other players he listed.

Again, reading comprehension... try to follow along.

People here are so blinded by their love for the beloved leader they just get their defenses up instantly instead of trying to have a discussion.

Lay off the kool-aid.

Lay off the haterade.

Especially in the context of the conversation it is implied. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sometimes you need to take risks to improve. Worked for MTL and Chiarot. 

Is there something specific in Poolmans game that makes you think he can't rise to be a 4/5 d? 

Sure and not necessarily. Overall I'm not unhappy with this signing in a vacuum, just think that it's about 33% too large both in terms of money and term.

I don't see how that or anything else I've posted here regarding Poolman is aggressively negative / worst-case scenario material.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have no problem with Poolman as a bottom pairing guy. Not in love with the money or term, but he seems like the type of player that a winner should be playing on their bottom pair. 

My problem is the trickle down, or rather trickle up effect on the blueline. I'm sorry, but if Myers is on your top pairing, you're in trouble.

What's especially frustrating is seeing the blueline in such rough shape after the efforts Benning has gone through to improve the roster this offseason. We were so close to actually being in a position to do some damage, but with the blueline looking the way it does I just don't see it. We needed a legitimate top 4 to play alongside OEL, not an expensive bottom pairing guy that would force Myers into a top pairing position.

How would Benning have acquired that?  The free agent pool wasn’t overflowing with options. Hamilton was probably not coming here. Seems like Savard had already made his mind up to return to Belle Provence. 

I could see a trade being the way to do it, but he used the biggest and best bargaining chip, the 9OA, to facilitate the trade that brought OEL here. 

• Cheers 1