The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of people are looking at this like "Tucker Poolman? Never heard of him, so he must suck....."

Then they scramble off to the "advanced metrics" sites for some WAR numbers to (hopefully) back up their uninformed opinions.

I don't watch a lot of Jets games, unless they're playing the Canucks.....or if they're in the playoffs. I thought he looked okay in the playoffs and TBH, I didn't really notice him much against the 'Nucks....

For a defensive defenseman, I don't really think that's such a bad thing.

That or this critique where its bad to have both Hamonic & Poolman. 

I think some people are analyzing it in a fantasyland devoid of market forces. 

16 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

He can be an okay 6th guy .. not too sure why we signed him for 4 yrs.  There were guys avail that couldve been had for less.

Im wondering where Poolman fits if we have Schenn in

which guys are you referring to?

• Cheers 2

The appeal in Poolman is largely due to his assumed fit with the Canucks. He’s a prototypical defensive defenceman, which is something this team sorely lacks. Poolman is also a right-shot defenceman, which checks another box for the Canucks.

Finally, Poolman is a big body, coming at about 6’3”, 210 pounds.

OK I'm officially confused.  That's quite a difference.

image.png

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

By all account I can see this is a bad signing. Listening to Jets fans they have no idea what Benning saw in him. Hopefully there is some untapped potential here and he develops into a number 5 Dman.

Jets fans: The overwhelming answer to any hockey question. 

• Haha 4
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

By all account I can see this is a bad signing. Listening to Jets fans they have no idea what Benning saw in him. Hopefully there is some untapped potential here and he develops into a number 5 Dman.

Well aright then folks!! If the fans say it’s bad then it is. Have you even watched him play? From what I’ve seen he’s developing into a reliable defensive dman. Why are so many of you pissed? Let him play, then judge.

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Looking through the remaining field of UFA defensemen....

There are two unsigned guys that I'd be interested in - and one is a LHD/ not a fit.

Hakanpaa remains available (a comparable in a number of ways) - what separates them might be Hakanpaa's additional aggressiveness, and Poolman's mobility...

But beyond him....not much there of interest imo.

And the guy they were rumoured to be in on - McCabe - went for 4 million x 4......

Forbort went for 3x3 - physical guy, but another LHD.

Savard's 14 million deal (3.5x4) is one of the few I'd consider unfrenzied value (Larsson 4x4, out ahead of the market, being another).

Eddie got 3.5

Guys like Oleksiak and Ceci went at surprisingly high prices imo.

Even Del Zotto at 2x2 seems a bit inflated.

Ian Cole - still solid at 32 - got 2.9.

Surprised Gudbranson hasn’t signed somewhere yet?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Looking through the remaining field of UFA defensemen....

There are two unsigned guys that I'd be interested in - and one is a LHD/ not a fit.

Hakanpaa remains available (a comparable in a number of ways) - what separates them might be Hakanpaa's additional aggressiveness, and Poolman's mobility...

But beyond him....not much there of interest imo.

And the guy they were rumoured to be in on - McCabe - went for 4 million x 4......

Forbort went for 3x3 - physical guy, but another LHD.

Savard's 14 million deal (3.5x4) is one of the few I'd consider unfrenzied value (Larsson 4x4, out ahead of the market, being another).

Eddie got 3.5

Guys like Oleksiak and Ceci went at surprisingly high prices imo.

Even Del Zotto at 2x2 seems a bit inflated.

Ian Cole - still solid at 32 - got 2.9.

Basically what you’re saying is there would have been this over reaction no matter who we signed. 

Outside maybe Larsson and Savard. I think this thread would look exactly the same as it does now.

Difference is Poolman could end up looking like a bargain with term in the end while other teams are fishing for replacement players in 2 years 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Someone put those graphs together.  Apparently Edler was, like, a 70 and Schmidt was a 45 or something. 

Then OEL and Poolman were… 7 and 3%.  So…. a 50-ish% drop. 

The AAV on the contracts are about the same.  Do people really think we’re about to be getting half as effective play?  

When you think about these jfresh WAR charts it’s just mind-numbingly reductive that they’re rolled out on their own.

It's simply analytical evidence that back up a statement that he's replaceable. Instead of the people that clearly watch hockey with blindfolds on around here claiming he's amazing, because reasons. And how dare anyone questiong Jim Benning's free agent signings, he's never messed those up before.

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Last year a LOT of Canucks fans wanted to trade Boeser. Tells you about how much stock you should put in their opinions.

57 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think if you substitute an upgrade in the mix for Hamonic, maybe it makes an entirely different impression.  Poolman, Schenn, Keeper - I'm quite happy with = quality depth imo - while still having Woo (and Bowey) in our system. 

Hamonic, we need to be considerably better - which is a possibility - he's had some very good seasons in his career, as recently as his second last season in Calgary.    But the guy Calgary acquired from the NYI (who threw 200 hits back in the day), we're unlikely to see again imo.

Fair enough, I’ll admit I don’t know much about most of these guys but Schenn Hamonic better not be significant pieces to our team, otherwise we aren’t any better especially losing Edler for what was a reasonable contract.  The love for Schenn and Hamonic is bizarre, both didn’t impress me at all, they filled holes, and often had too many holes themselves.  I hope it works out and these new guys are an upgrade

39 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Watch Poolman come in and be a boss back there. Overreaction on this deal is amazing. 

Unfortunately you can tell the minds have been made up already no matter what he does. All they are going to look for in his game are his errors (which all dmen will have some). There's always a scapegoat (or two or three) every year and Poolman is the clear frontrunner already.

Unless Poolman puts up 50 points and throws devastating hits every night, the minds won't change.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Last year a LOT of Canucks fans wanted to trade Boeser. Tells you about how much stock you should put in their opinions.

I’m very optimistic with the signing. I always loved Tanev and hope he plays like Tanev lite.

• Cheers 2